News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
eBay research suggests search ads have 'no measurable benefit'
Researchers at eBay claim that brand keyword ads in search engines have little benefit to advertisers in the short-term, calling into question the millions of dollars invested.
Adverts in search engines have "no measurable benefits" to eBay, found a paper 'Consumer Heterogeneity and Paid Search Effectiveness: A Large Scale Field Experiment' produced by eBay along with researchers from Berkeley and Chicago universities.
The research found that ads in search engines do attract clicks but that consumers would have otherwise clicked on the natural search result. To test this, eBay shut down advertising for its brand-related items on Yahoo! And MSN. This led to a significant uptick in natural clicks.
According to the report, "almost all of the forgone click traffic and attributed sales were captured by natural search". In other words, advertisers were spending unnecessarily on search ads when natural search was just as effective, and free.
"This is strong evidence that the removal of the advertisement raises the prominence of the eBay natural search result," says the report. "Since users intend to find eBay, it is not surprising that shutting down the paid search path to their desired destination simply diverts traffic to the next easiest path, natural search, which is free to the advertiser."
However, for advertisers buying space on search results for generic (non-branded) results the news is somewhat better. eBay's research found that whilst branded search usually showed up on the first page, generic results placements varied. Therefore, unless a site pays there is no guarantee it will show up on the front page.
Image via Shutterstock
- Unique products, better prices motivates cross-border ecommerce
- Gen Z keen to engage with mobile video
- Expert: How to determine if a subscription service is good business
- Ad Roundup: Targeting key for video, digital products
- Top 3 tips to create speech analytics strategy
- Snapchat rumored to be rolling out behavioral targeting for advertisers
- Working 9-5 becoming a thing of the past?
- Accordant Media: 151% increase in global programmatic auction volume
Featured White Papers
- 10 Ways to Improve Your Content Marketing Today
Great content shows that you understand the customer and their problems and that you want and are able to help...
- How to Deliver Content Your Employees Will Love to Share
Your employees are your greatest asset. It makes perfect sense that companies would double down on their own talent, empowering...
- Key Tools for Engagement Marketing
Dig into the concept of digital marketing and how to be successful in today's modern, complex business landscape...