News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
eBay research suggests search ads have 'no measurable benefit'
Researchers at eBay claim that brand keyword ads in search engines have little benefit to advertisers in the short-term, calling into question the millions of dollars invested.
Adverts in search engines have "no measurable benefits" to eBay, found a paper 'Consumer Heterogeneity and Paid Search Effectiveness: A Large Scale Field Experiment' produced by eBay along with researchers from Berkeley and Chicago universities.
The research found that ads in search engines do attract clicks but that consumers would have otherwise clicked on the natural search result. To test this, eBay shut down advertising for its brand-related items on Yahoo! And MSN. This led to a significant uptick in natural clicks.
According to the report, "almost all of the forgone click traffic and attributed sales were captured by natural search". In other words, advertisers were spending unnecessarily on search ads when natural search was just as effective, and free.
"This is strong evidence that the removal of the advertisement raises the prominence of the eBay natural search result," says the report. "Since users intend to find eBay, it is not surprising that shutting down the paid search path to their desired destination simply diverts traffic to the next easiest path, natural search, which is free to the advertiser."
However, for advertisers buying space on search results for generic (non-branded) results the news is somewhat better. eBay's research found that whilst branded search usually showed up on the first page, generic results placements varied. Therefore, unless a site pays there is no guarantee it will show up on the front page.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...