News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
eBay research suggests search ads have 'no measurable benefit'
Researchers at eBay claim that brand keyword ads in search engines have little benefit to advertisers in the short-term, calling into question the millions of dollars invested.
Adverts in search engines have "no measurable benefits" to eBay, found a paper 'Consumer Heterogeneity and Paid Search Effectiveness: A Large Scale Field Experiment' produced by eBay along with researchers from Berkeley and Chicago universities.
The research found that ads in search engines do attract clicks but that consumers would have otherwise clicked on the natural search result. To test this, eBay shut down advertising for its brand-related items on Yahoo! And MSN. This led to a significant uptick in natural clicks.
According to the report, "almost all of the forgone click traffic and attributed sales were captured by natural search". In other words, advertisers were spending unnecessarily on search ads when natural search was just as effective, and free.
"This is strong evidence that the removal of the advertisement raises the prominence of the eBay natural search result," says the report. "Since users intend to find eBay, it is not surprising that shutting down the paid search path to their desired destination simply diverts traffic to the next easiest path, natural search, which is free to the advertiser."
However, for advertisers buying space on search results for generic (non-branded) results the news is somewhat better. eBay's research found that whilst branded search usually showed up on the first page, generic results placements varied. Therefore, unless a site pays there is no guarantee it will show up on the front page.
Image via Shutterstock
- Survey: Gamers don't want interruptions
- Reports: Back to school stressing parents
- How to measure engagement to reach a deeper customer relationship
- Survey: Amazon influencing back to school shoppers
- Hilton gives guests greater control with significant app upgrade
- Top 3 tips for better channel optimization
- Study: Sales, marketing disconnect resulting in bad customer experience
- UK businesses failing to consistently and effectively employ social for customer support
Featured White Papers
- What Sales Should REALLY Expect from Marketing Automation
In this Deep Dive we will explore what sales leaders should actually be demanding from marketing automation tools. In fact,...
- Learn the True Importance of Global Brand Management
Effective branding has always been an important part of business and is an especially important component of the customer experience,...
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...