News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Digital news consumption in the UK overtakes printed newspapers
Ofcom's annual news consumption study reveals that the number of people in the UK heading online to keep abreast of news and current affairs is now greater than those reading print newspapers.
It's the first time that digital news consumption has beaten print, according to Ofcom's latest 'News Consumption in the UK' report. Today, 41% of people use the Internet to keep up-to-date with news, just ahead of the 40% who continue to use print newspapers.
While television remains the most-used medium, with 75% getting their news this way, the Internet is by far the fastest growing medium up to 41% from 32% last year. Radio was the only other medium that witnessed growth up to 36% from 35% last year.
The rise in digital news consumption has been driven, in part, by increased mobile and tablet use, particularly among younger generations. Those between the ages of 16 and 24 are ten times more likely than those age 55 and over to access news on a mobile (40% vs 4%) and twice as likely on a tablet (15% vs 7%).
In terms of gender, women are more likely than men to consume news through television (78% women vs. 73% men) while men are more likely than women to consume news through the Internet or mobile app (44% vs. 39%) and through newspapers (43% vs. 37%). Ofcom found no difference in the consumption of news through the radio by gender (37% men vs. 36% women).
Image via Shutterstock
- PulsePoint: Content marketing, native future of advertising
- Ad Roundup: Bringing scale to online brands
- Pixalate releases list of top programmatic networks
- How non-profits are succeeding online
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
- Android ad blocking browser released by Adblock Plus
- How triggered emails can reduce shopping cart abandons
- How to better protect consumers' mobile privacy
Featured White Papers
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...