News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Digital news consumption in the UK overtakes printed newspapers
Ofcom's annual news consumption study reveals that the number of people in the UK heading online to keep abreast of news and current affairs is now greater than those reading print newspapers.
It's the first time that digital news consumption has beaten print, according to Ofcom's latest 'News Consumption in the UK' report. Today, 41% of people use the Internet to keep up-to-date with news, just ahead of the 40% who continue to use print newspapers.
While television remains the most-used medium, with 75% getting their news this way, the Internet is by far the fastest growing medium up to 41% from 32% last year. Radio was the only other medium that witnessed growth up to 36% from 35% last year.
The rise in digital news consumption has been driven, in part, by increased mobile and tablet use, particularly among younger generations. Those between the ages of 16 and 24 are ten times more likely than those age 55 and over to access news on a mobile (40% vs 4%) and twice as likely on a tablet (15% vs 7%).
In terms of gender, women are more likely than men to consume news through television (78% women vs. 73% men) while men are more likely than women to consume news through the Internet or mobile app (44% vs. 39%) and through newspapers (43% vs. 37%). Ofcom found no difference in the consumption of news through the radio by gender (37% men vs. 36% women).
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: CNP fraud to push $7b within 4 years
- Survey: Disconnect between brands, consumers about UGC
- 69% of consumers excited about experiencing virtual reality
- Consumers have already started back-to-school shopping
- How Facebook Topic Data is impacting social
- Advertising Roundup: Analytics and mobile engagement
- How reviews from gift-givers can help brands
- iPhone replaces iPad as ecommerce device of choice
Featured White Papers
- 6 SEO Predictions to Plan for in 2016
To succeed in 2016, marketers must pay heed to a number of critical SEO trends, including how they go about...
- How to Boost Reader Engagement 300%
Building an audience isn't just about quantity: it's also about quality. How can you increase the number of readers who...