News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Digital news consumption in the UK overtakes printed newspapers
Ofcom's annual news consumption study reveals that the number of people in the UK heading online to keep abreast of news and current affairs is now greater than those reading print newspapers.
It's the first time that digital news consumption has beaten print, according to Ofcom's latest 'News Consumption in the UK' report. Today, 41% of people use the Internet to keep up-to-date with news, just ahead of the 40% who continue to use print newspapers.
While television remains the most-used medium, with 75% getting their news this way, the Internet is by far the fastest growing medium up to 41% from 32% last year. Radio was the only other medium that witnessed growth up to 36% from 35% last year.
The rise in digital news consumption has been driven, in part, by increased mobile and tablet use, particularly among younger generations. Those between the ages of 16 and 24 are ten times more likely than those age 55 and over to access news on a mobile (40% vs 4%) and twice as likely on a tablet (15% vs 7%).
In terms of gender, women are more likely than men to consume news through television (78% women vs. 73% men) while men are more likely than women to consume news through the Internet or mobile app (44% vs. 39%) and through newspapers (43% vs. 37%). Ofcom found no difference in the consumption of news through the radio by gender (37% men vs. 36% women).
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 tips for effective native ad campaigns
- Top 3 email tips for the 2014 holidays
- Study: 3/4 will use phones for holiday shopping
- Studies: Shoppers want connection
- Brands: What to prep now for Thanksgiving Weekend
- Would your website earn Google's mobile-friendly label?
- Third of UK online retailers are not ready for the Christmas rush
- Study: Consumers find driving need to be always on
Featured White Papers
- Definitive Guide to Marketing Metrics and Analytics
Download this 70-page, all-encompassing guide to learn the right metrics for understanding and interpreting marketing results, why measuring marketing programs...
- From Average to Elite: 7 Secrets of Today's Top Marketers
Marketing is more chaotic than ever. Pleasing multiple stakeholders, juggling random request inputs and collecting meaningful data from project teams...
- Marketing Attribution in the New World
We all know that consumers generally do not convert after seeing just one advertisement. How do we decide which campaign...