News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Digital news consumption in the UK overtakes printed newspapers
Ofcom's annual news consumption study reveals that the number of people in the UK heading online to keep abreast of news and current affairs is now greater than those reading print newspapers.
It's the first time that digital news consumption has beaten print, according to Ofcom's latest 'News Consumption in the UK' report. Today, 41% of people use the Internet to keep up-to-date with news, just ahead of the 40% who continue to use print newspapers.
While television remains the most-used medium, with 75% getting their news this way, the Internet is by far the fastest growing medium up to 41% from 32% last year. Radio was the only other medium that witnessed growth up to 36% from 35% last year.
The rise in digital news consumption has been driven, in part, by increased mobile and tablet use, particularly among younger generations. Those between the ages of 16 and 24 are ten times more likely than those age 55 and over to access news on a mobile (40% vs 4%) and twice as likely on a tablet (15% vs 7%).
In terms of gender, women are more likely than men to consume news through television (78% women vs. 73% men) while men are more likely than women to consume news through the Internet or mobile app (44% vs. 39%) and through newspapers (43% vs. 37%). Ofcom found no difference in the consumption of news through the radio by gender (37% men vs. 36% women).
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 social trends to watch in 2015
- Why clicks will regain importance in 2015
- Security concerns cause 23% of consumers to shop less online
- Mobile and online key resource for last-minute Christmas shoppers
- Third of consumers never pay full price online
- Online cash register bells will continue ringing on Christmas Day and Boxing Day
- Experts: App usage will change in 2015
- How data will influence 2015
Featured White Papers
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- Targeting (That's on target)
"Hopeful messaging is wasted messaging. Clear targeting means more than just Who. It also demands a knowledge of How, When,...
- Leveraging Facebook to Improve ROI on Brand Sites
Rather than deserting your brand site for a Facebook Fan Page, the best digital marketing strategies incorporate a Facebook presence...