News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Consumers taking longer to consider online purchases
Consumers are taking longer than ever to make considered shopping decisions, according to new research from Rakuten Marketing's display arm, Rakuten MediaForge. This makes it more challenging for brands to keep a distracted consumer interested.
After being targeted by an online ad, consumers now take up to 233 hours - nearly 10 days - to make a purchase decision, according to Rakuten MediaForge.
However, the time taken was found to differ significantly across sectors. Surprisingly, the time to sale for travel was the shortest at 176 hours while fashion purchases were far more considered taking 282 hours.
An interesting finding is that consumers that engage with an interactive banner, defined as scrolling, hovering or watching a video within an ad, convert up to 44% faster than those who simply click.
"Brands therefore need careful planning to target consumers even more effectively, truly taking advantage of each engagement and reducing the delay to purchase," says Rakhee Jogia, Director of Display at Rakuten Marketing.
"With sales taking place across numerous channels, over a number of days, it's become ever more challenging for brands to keep the interest of distracted consumers. With the help of data insights and more creative placements, brands can deliver display campaigns that increase conversion levels."
The time to purchase insights were gleaned from Rakuten's portfolio of high street and emerging retail brands in the UK. The research also highlighted the importance of retargeting. Just over 14% of travel sales were made straightaway following retargeting, as were 8.3% of fashion and 11.7% of luxury fashion purchases.
Image via Shutterstock
- Ad Roundup: New tools to track, serve ads
- How to maximize your content marketing strategy
- Ecommerce Roundup: Payment solutions and an email idea
- How for-profits can capitalize with non-profit strategy
- Study IDs most important shopper for retailers
- Study: Consumers text for customer support
- Study IDs what Apple Watch users are really up to
- Top 3 tips for better triggered emails
Featured White Papers
- Retargeting on Facebook by the Numbers: The Analysis of Retargeting in the Center of the Social Web
Over the past two years, advertisers have rapidly adopted retargeting on Facebook to drive key metrics like conversions, app downloads,...
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...