News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Consumers taking longer to consider online purchases
Consumers are taking longer than ever to make considered shopping decisions, according to new research from Rakuten Marketing's display arm, Rakuten MediaForge. This makes it more challenging for brands to keep a distracted consumer interested.
After being targeted by an online ad, consumers now take up to 233 hours - nearly 10 days - to make a purchase decision, according to Rakuten MediaForge.
However, the time taken was found to differ significantly across sectors. Surprisingly, the time to sale for travel was the shortest at 176 hours while fashion purchases were far more considered taking 282 hours.
An interesting finding is that consumers that engage with an interactive banner, defined as scrolling, hovering or watching a video within an ad, convert up to 44% faster than those who simply click.
"Brands therefore need careful planning to target consumers even more effectively, truly taking advantage of each engagement and reducing the delay to purchase," says Rakhee Jogia, Director of Display at Rakuten Marketing.
"With sales taking place across numerous channels, over a number of days, it's become ever more challenging for brands to keep the interest of distracted consumers. With the help of data insights and more creative placements, brands can deliver display campaigns that increase conversion levels."
The time to purchase insights were gleaned from Rakuten's portfolio of high street and emerging retail brands in the UK. The research also highlighted the importance of retargeting. Just over 14% of travel sales were made straightaway following retargeting, as were 8.3% of fashion and 11.7% of luxury fashion purchases.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...