News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Consumers curb online shopping in wake of security breaches
A survey from USA TODAY has revealed the extent to which online security breaches have affected consumers' attitudes to online shopping.
Following well-publicized online security breaches at large online retailers such as eBay and Target almost a quarter (24%) of consumers have ceased to make purchases online, found USA TODAY'S survey of 790 Internet users.
"It's pretty amazing to me that people were willing to pull the plug on their habits," said Cameron Camp, a security expert with security and antivirus firm ESET.
Over half (56%) of those polled said that, in the wake of the security problems, they are now restricting their online shopping to big Internet retailers, despite affected firms eBay and Target falling into that category.
Other ways in which consumers are protecting their online security are keeping tabs on their bank and credit card balances (55%) and changing passwords regularly (64%).
Interestingly, the survey found that those with lower education and incomes were among those most likely to cease making online purchases while those with higher levels of education and income were more likely to continue shopping but take more precautions.
USA TODAY'S findings are similar to those of a Harris Interactive survey conducted earlier this year. Of the 2,000 U.S. adults surveyed 26% said they have decreased the amount of shopping they do online with that figure rising to a third among younger age groups.
Image via Shutterstock
- Survey suggests increasing interest in e-gifts
- Referral key way in which marketers find SEO services
- Social Roundup: Rolling out for Instagram
- Brands: How to engage Millennials in your work force
- Top 3 tips to monetize traffic
- U.S. presidential elections: Digital media use up, television still dominant
- Reports: Brands are winning back to school
- Time spent gaming on mobile drops, eSports partly to blame
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...