News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Consumers curb online shopping in wake of security breaches
A survey from USA TODAY has revealed the extent to which online security breaches have affected consumers' attitudes to online shopping.
Following well-publicized online security breaches at large online retailers such as eBay and Target almost a quarter (24%) of consumers have ceased to make purchases online, found USA TODAY'S survey of 790 Internet users.
"It's pretty amazing to me that people were willing to pull the plug on their habits," said Cameron Camp, a security expert with security and antivirus firm ESET.
Over half (56%) of those polled said that, in the wake of the security problems, they are now restricting their online shopping to big Internet retailers, despite affected firms eBay and Target falling into that category.
Other ways in which consumers are protecting their online security are keeping tabs on their bank and credit card balances (55%) and changing passwords regularly (64%).
Interestingly, the survey found that those with lower education and incomes were among those most likely to cease making online purchases while those with higher levels of education and income were more likely to continue shopping but take more precautions.
USA TODAY'S findings are similar to those of a Harris Interactive survey conducted earlier this year. Of the 2,000 U.S. adults surveyed 26% said they have decreased the amount of shopping they do online with that figure rising to a third among younger age groups.
Image via Shutterstock
- Ad experience improves but ad blocking still rising
- Research reveals power of user-generated images in reviews
- Study: Visuals important in reviews
- Consumers increasingly comfortable with mHealth options
- Study: Personalization important for rewards
- Retailers: How to use out-of-store events to engage
- Why do online shoppers switch devices between research and purchase?
- Video ad budgets increasingly diversifying beyond pre-roll
Featured White Papers
- The Keys to a 'Stop 'em & Grab 'em' Landing Page
Follow these keys when developing your landing page, and in no time you will have all of the traffic and...