News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Consumers curb online shopping in wake of security breaches
A survey from USA TODAY has revealed the extent to which online security breaches have affected consumers' attitudes to online shopping.
Following well-publicized online security breaches at large online retailers such as eBay and Target almost a quarter (24%) of consumers have ceased to make purchases online, found USA TODAY'S survey of 790 Internet users.
"It's pretty amazing to me that people were willing to pull the plug on their habits," said Cameron Camp, a security expert with security and antivirus firm ESET.
Over half (56%) of those polled said that, in the wake of the security problems, they are now restricting their online shopping to big Internet retailers, despite affected firms eBay and Target falling into that category.
Other ways in which consumers are protecting their online security are keeping tabs on their bank and credit card balances (55%) and changing passwords regularly (64%).
Interestingly, the survey found that those with lower education and incomes were among those most likely to cease making online purchases while those with higher levels of education and income were more likely to continue shopping but take more precautions.
USA TODAY'S findings are similar to those of a Harris Interactive survey conducted earlier this year. Of the 2,000 U.S. adults surveyed 26% said they have decreased the amount of shopping they do online with that figure rising to a third among younger age groups.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...