News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Consumers curb online shopping in wake of security breaches
A survey from USA TODAY has revealed the extent to which online security breaches have affected consumers' attitudes to online shopping.
Following well-publicized online security breaches at large online retailers such as eBay and Target almost a quarter (24%) of consumers have ceased to make purchases online, found USA TODAY'S survey of 790 Internet users.
"It's pretty amazing to me that people were willing to pull the plug on their habits," said Cameron Camp, a security expert with security and antivirus firm ESET.
Over half (56%) of those polled said that, in the wake of the security problems, they are now restricting their online shopping to big Internet retailers, despite affected firms eBay and Target falling into that category.
Other ways in which consumers are protecting their online security are keeping tabs on their bank and credit card balances (55%) and changing passwords regularly (64%).
Interestingly, the survey found that those with lower education and incomes were among those most likely to cease making online purchases while those with higher levels of education and income were more likely to continue shopping but take more precautions.
USA TODAY'S findings are similar to those of a Harris Interactive survey conducted earlier this year. Of the 2,000 U.S. adults surveyed 26% said they have decreased the amount of shopping they do online with that figure rising to a third among younger age groups.
Image via Shutterstock
- Revenues from tablet games to triple in next five years
- Marketers must react to changing consumer behavior caused by technology
- Facebook launches Event ads to appear in Newsfeeds
- UK: Online Christmas shopping to exceed £13 billion
- Top 3 retail tips to personalize across channels
- Expert Advice: Use in-store techniques to sell online
- Twitter helps agency campaigns take off with Flight School
- Top 3 tips to improve employee productivity
Featured White Papers
- The Truth About Cloud Security
"Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?...
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...
- How to Maximize, Manage, and Measure Organic Search
Organic search delivers high-quality traffic and revenue with a high contribution margin. But organic search is hard, and it's getting...