News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Consumers curb online shopping in wake of security breaches
A survey from USA TODAY has revealed the extent to which online security breaches have affected consumers' attitudes to online shopping.
Following well-publicized online security breaches at large online retailers such as eBay and Target almost a quarter (24%) of consumers have ceased to make purchases online, found USA TODAY'S survey of 790 Internet users.
"It's pretty amazing to me that people were willing to pull the plug on their habits," said Cameron Camp, a security expert with security and antivirus firm ESET.
Over half (56%) of those polled said that, in the wake of the security problems, they are now restricting their online shopping to big Internet retailers, despite affected firms eBay and Target falling into that category.
Other ways in which consumers are protecting their online security are keeping tabs on their bank and credit card balances (55%) and changing passwords regularly (64%).
Interestingly, the survey found that those with lower education and incomes were among those most likely to cease making online purchases while those with higher levels of education and income were more likely to continue shopping but take more precautions.
USA TODAY'S findings are similar to those of a Harris Interactive survey conducted earlier this year. Of the 2,000 U.S. adults surveyed 26% said they have decreased the amount of shopping they do online with that figure rising to a third among younger age groups.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 annoyances for mobile shoppers
- Study: Black Millennials betting on themselves
- Top 3 tips to take Valentine's strategies year-round
- No age limit to looking for love online
- Goodbye second-screening, hello switch-screening
- Less than one-third of emails opened on desktop last year
- Ad Roundup: Platforms for sales, ecommerce
- Top 3 tips to get more from email on Valentine's campaigns
Featured White Papers
- Device of Choice for Online Shoppers & Buyers
Did you know that men shop and buy from mobile devices more than women? Being aware of nuances like this...
- 5 'Must Have' Tactics For Your 2016 Digital Marketing Plan
What are the 5 "must have" tactics that experts agree can help everyone's 2016 digital marketing?...
- Consumers Tell All, Part 1: Online Shopping Frequency
This report looks at how frequently online shoppers are making purchases....