News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
BrightEdge: One-quarter websites not mobile friendly
Nearly 70% of the US population is using some kind of smartphone, and many are using their phones for everything from taking phone calls to checking email, shopping or watching television programming. But, according to new data out from BrightEdge, more than one-quarter (27%) of websites aren't mobile friendly.
The BrightEdge Mobile Share report shows smartphones own a 23% share of organic search, increasing at a 50% Year over Year rate. But, their data further shows one in four websites isn't optimized or configured for mobile devices, specifically smartphones. The BrightEdge data also indicates about one-quarter of mobile sites are ranked lower (according to Google) than they should be because search engines don't 'recognize' the mobile site as related to the desktop site.
"With smartphone website traffic growing at 10 times the rate of desktop, mobile websites are quickly becoming the cornerstone to content marketing and customer engagement," said Jim Yu, CEO and founder of BrightEdge. "We know that mobile will play an integral role in the future of marketing and want to help brands navigate the challenges that mobile presents. This report will help businesses understand the best ways to create mobile-optimized sites in terms of traffic and search rank, boosting customer engagement and, more importantly, ROI."
Some interesting takeaways from the report include:
• 27% of websites are 'misconfigured' for smartphones
• Misconfigured sites result in 68% loss in smartphone traffic (average)
• 62% of searches result in different results for different devices - smartphone, desktop, etc
• Smartphone traffic is forecasted to increase by 50% in 2014
• Mobile devices (smartphones and tablets) account for 33% of organic search traffic to websites
Image via Shutterstock
- Brands: How Chat-As-A-Service can work for you
- Survey: Computers are the connection of choice for sports fans
- Expert: The link between returns and cart abandons
- Mobile Roundup: App releases focus on connection, analysis
- Amazon's latest delivery location - the trunk of your car
- How mobile will change in 2015
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships to deepen brands' reach
- Survey IDs SEO platforms most brand friendly
Featured White Papers
- Design Matters: How To Create The Optimal Mobile Shopping Experience
Over two-thirds of US consumers under 50 say they would be happy if shopping evolved into a mobile-only experience, recent...
- Tasty Tips From Marketing's Master Chefs
The art and science of effective marketing and demand generation is like a great recipe- Marketing master chefs turn traditional...