News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
BrightEdge: One-quarter websites not mobile friendly
Nearly 70% of the US population is using some kind of smartphone, and many are using their phones for everything from taking phone calls to checking email, shopping or watching television programming. But, according to new data out from BrightEdge, more than one-quarter (27%) of websites aren't mobile friendly.
The BrightEdge Mobile Share report shows smartphones own a 23% share of organic search, increasing at a 50% Year over Year rate. But, their data further shows one in four websites isn't optimized or configured for mobile devices, specifically smartphones. The BrightEdge data also indicates about one-quarter of mobile sites are ranked lower (according to Google) than they should be because search engines don't 'recognize' the mobile site as related to the desktop site.
"With smartphone website traffic growing at 10 times the rate of desktop, mobile websites are quickly becoming the cornerstone to content marketing and customer engagement," said Jim Yu, CEO and founder of BrightEdge. "We know that mobile will play an integral role in the future of marketing and want to help brands navigate the challenges that mobile presents. This report will help businesses understand the best ways to create mobile-optimized sites in terms of traffic and search rank, boosting customer engagement and, more importantly, ROI."
Some interesting takeaways from the report include:
• 27% of websites are 'misconfigured' for smartphones
• Misconfigured sites result in 68% loss in smartphone traffic (average)
• 62% of searches result in different results for different devices - smartphone, desktop, etc
• Smartphone traffic is forecasted to increase by 50% in 2014
• Mobile devices (smartphones and tablets) account for 33% of organic search traffic to websites
Image via Shutterstock
- Driving website traffic revealed as retailers' biggest challenge
- Revenues from tablet games to triple in next five years
- Marketers must react to changing consumer behavior caused by technology
- Facebook launches Event ads to appear in Newsfeeds
- UK: Online Christmas shopping to exceed £13 billion
- Top 3 retail tips to personalize across channels
- Expert Advice: Use in-store techniques to sell online
- Twitter helps agency campaigns take off with Flight School
Featured White Papers
- The Truth About Cloud Security
"Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?...
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...
- How to Maximize, Manage, and Measure Organic Search
Organic search delivers high-quality traffic and revenue with a high contribution margin. But organic search is hard, and it's getting...