News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
BRC: Cash remains UK's dominant payment method
Mobile payments may be on the rise in the U.K. but the use of cash continues to be the dominant form of payment, according to the latest figures released by the British Retail Consortium.
While the percentage of transactions paid for in cash has fallen by 10% to 53% over the past five year, thanks in part to the increased availability of self-service check-outs, mobile payments, online sales and contactless cards, 53% of transactions were in cold, hard cash.
However, the BRC's Director General, Helen Dickinson, says that the 14% decrease in cash use over the past five years is "a milestone in the development of our digital economy" and demonstrates that consumers and retailers alike are evolving and adapting to new technologies.
The BRC's study included 60% of retail sales during 2013 and found that:
- 53% of transactions were in cash, with an average value of £9.47;
- 32% of transactions were with debit cards, with an average value of £27.58;
- The remaining 15% of transactions consisted of credit and charge cards and "other" non-card payment methods.
Findings of a study by mobile solutions firm Oxygen8, released in March this year, reveal that the use of mobile payments in the UK is currently a long way off mainstream. A third of adults in Oxygen8's study (age 18-44) said they had never used their mobile device to make a payment, despite having the ability to do so.
Image via Shutterstock
- Forecast: Local media revs to push $140b
- Consumers more likely to be loyal to brands with a physical presence
- Study dispels myth that 15-24 year olds are the true 'digital natives'
- Top 3 tips to better optimize branded content
- Programmatic spending skyrockets through Nexage Markeplace
- FTC's new 'merchandise rule' to come into effect before Christmas
- Brands: Why content needs better optimization
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships and acquisitions to improve platforms
Featured White Papers
- Evolving Toward the Next Phase of Email
According to most corporate decision makers and influencers, email is the single most important application they have deployed! The typical...
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...