News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Apps: Beware consumers' short attention spans
Mobile apps now play a significant role in many mobile users' lives and are central to the burgeoning digital economy. However, users' attention spans are getting shorter and businesses that rely on their apps and website must ensure they provide a reliable and consistent mobile experience.
In a new joint study with the Institute of Management Studies at Goldsmiths, University of London, AppDynamics highlights the importance of mobile apps to today's consumer. Findings of 'The App Attention Span' found that 19% are now more loyal to an app than a brand. That figure can only grow as apps play an ever-important role in the day to day lives of mobile users.
However, while the use of apps is growing, the attention spans of users are not, says AppDynamics.
"In today's digital economy, just a few seconds of app or website downtime can have a severe impact on business revenues, reputation and customer satisfaction," states the company in a recent press announcement.
A few indicators of users' intolerance are:
- Two-thirds (65%) of respondents agreed that their expectations of app performance are increasing over time;
- Almost half of all respondents say they are less tolerant of problems with apps or websites than they used to be;
- Nearly one third of smartphone and tablet owners would change banks if a mobile app wasn't up to scratch.
"Users experience a lot of negative emotions and frustrations when trying to complete some digital tasks and apps or web pages are slow to load," said Dr. Chris Brauer, director of innovation, IMS at Goldsmiths, University of London. "Our attention span demands have adapted dramatically to the available technologies."
The consequences of a poorly-performing app are clear to see:
- 86% of respondents deleted or uninstalled at least one mobile app because of problems with its performance;
- 38% try another app when faced with a problem, 34% stop using the app, and 19% complain to friends and family;
- 30% would spend more money with a business that had a good mobile app;
- 29% would pay more for a product or service if the business's app performed better than its competitors.
"The bottom line is that organizations must deliver a reliable, consistent mobile experience to grow and protect increasingly important mobile device revenue streams and customer interactions, even under the most demanding situations," said Jyoti Bansal, founder and CEO of AppDynamics. "Key to this is having the necessary depth of application intelligence in real time so that any problems can be anticipated or rapidly solved."
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...