News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
1 in 5 Android in-app purchases found to be fraudulent
As Google I/O 2014 gets underway, new analysis from Swrve reveals some disturbing news for Android app developers.
Swrve has uncovered some worrying data with regards to in-app purchases on Android smart devices.
In a recent blog post, Swrve's Director of Marketing, Tom Farrell, reports on the company's analysis of all in-app purchase data on Android platforms in the month of May. The findings reveal that almost one in five in-app purchases (19%) on Android smart devices are fraudulent. These purchases deliver no revenue to the app developer.
Not only do fraudulent purchases affect overall revenue but, says Farrell, it can "lead to poor decision-making in data-driven organizations unable to filter out the counterfeit "noise"."
Furthermore, Swrve has observed that up to 90% of revenue events by value have been fraudulent during limited periods of time.
"When running in-app marketing campaigns or A/B testing user experience, revenue numbers reported may be wildly inaccurate and thus suggest ROI is delivered when it may not be the case," says Farrell. "Which as you can imagine is something of a problem."
Swrve's latest Mobile OS Report found that iOS users spend 45% more on in-app purchases than Android users and spend 10% more.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 tips to better optimize branded content
- Programmatic spending skyrockets through Nexage Markeplace
- FTC's new 'merchandise rule' to come into effect before Christmas
- Brands: Why content needs better optimization
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships and acquisitions to improve platforms
- Consumers prefer SMS to apps for brand communications
- Physical stores still popular with young fashion shoppers
- Britain has more female gamers than male
Featured White Papers
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...