News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
1 in 5 Android in-app purchases found to be fraudulent
As Google I/O 2014 gets underway, new analysis from Swrve reveals some disturbing news for Android app developers.
Swrve has uncovered some worrying data with regards to in-app purchases on Android smart devices.
In a recent blog post, Swrve's Director of Marketing, Tom Farrell, reports on the company's analysis of all in-app purchase data on Android platforms in the month of May. The findings reveal that almost one in five in-app purchases (19%) on Android smart devices are fraudulent. These purchases deliver no revenue to the app developer.
Not only do fraudulent purchases affect overall revenue but, says Farrell, it can "lead to poor decision-making in data-driven organizations unable to filter out the counterfeit "noise"."
Furthermore, Swrve has observed that up to 90% of revenue events by value have been fraudulent during limited periods of time.
"When running in-app marketing campaigns or A/B testing user experience, revenue numbers reported may be wildly inaccurate and thus suggest ROI is delivered when it may not be the case," says Farrell. "Which as you can imagine is something of a problem."
Swrve's latest Mobile OS Report found that iOS users spend 45% more on in-app purchases than Android users and spend 10% more.
Image via Shutterstock
- Pinterest introduces new search tool to attract men to the network
- Study: Dirty Data a problem for marketers
- Top 3 things consumers really want from brands
- Surveys: Why social, mobile might rule the Super Bowl
- How new data collection techniques may impact your business
- Photographs among Brits' most treasured possessions
- Restaurant tech can leave servers more time to focus on dining experience
- NRF forecasts bigger spending this Valentine's Day
Featured White Papers
- 6 Blueprints for Social Network Success
The Big 6 social networks offer tremendous marketing opportunites--and each one is very different. That's why Spredfast has assembled our...
- CRM's Dirty Little Secret: How to Avoid CRM Sticker Shock
The way companies use and pay for customer relationship management software has changed significantly over the past decade. Moving from...