News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Viral Video: Speed of social sharing doubles in past year
Research into the lifecycle of viral video has revealed the number of shares a brand's online video attracts in the first 72 hours following release has doubled in the last 12 months.
According to Unruly's Social Diffusion Curve, launched a year ago, almost half (42%) of brand video shares take place in the first three days after it is launched, up from a quarter of shares when Unruly first measured the speed of social dissemination. This makes those first few days crucial to brands looking to have a viral hit on their hands.
Furthermore, the average number of shares on the day after a video's launch has also nearly doubled from 10% to 18% in the same time period. The number of video shares within the first week has also risen, from 37% to 65%.
"Using paid distribution and real-time programmatic targeting across the Open Web brands can maximize the sharing peak and slow the rate of viral decay in order to deliver maximum earned media and viewer advocacy on their video campaigns," says Scott Button, founder and Group CEO of Unruly.
"Unlike standard pre-roll formats, in-stream skippables keep the users in control, as users decide whether or not they want to view the ad. Advertisers only pay when viewers have finished watching the video or at 30 seconds."
Image via Shutterstock
- Why do online shoppers switch devices between research and purchase?
- Video ad budgets increasingly diversifying beyond pre-roll
- Reports: Mobile, deals important to shoppers
- Expert: How brands can use social data
- Study finds 2/3s purchase via mobile
- Consumers shun search engines for retail sites during product discovery
- Trust holding back sharing economy adoption
- Top tips to improve cash flow
Featured White Papers
- The Keys to a 'Stop 'em & Grab 'em' Landing Page
Follow these keys when developing your landing page, and in no time you will have all of the traffic and...