News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Viral Video: Speed of social sharing doubles in past year
Research into the lifecycle of viral video has revealed the number of shares a brand's online video attracts in the first 72 hours following release has doubled in the last 12 months.
According to Unruly's Social Diffusion Curve, launched a year ago, almost half (42%) of brand video shares take place in the first three days after it is launched, up from a quarter of shares when Unruly first measured the speed of social dissemination. This makes those first few days crucial to brands looking to have a viral hit on their hands.
Furthermore, the average number of shares on the day after a video's launch has also nearly doubled from 10% to 18% in the same time period. The number of video shares within the first week has also risen, from 37% to 65%.
"Using paid distribution and real-time programmatic targeting across the Open Web brands can maximize the sharing peak and slow the rate of viral decay in order to deliver maximum earned media and viewer advocacy on their video campaigns," says Scott Button, founder and Group CEO of Unruly.
"Unlike standard pre-roll formats, in-stream skippables keep the users in control, as users decide whether or not they want to view the ad. Advertisers only pay when viewers have finished watching the video or at 30 seconds."
Image via Shutterstock
- Netflix dominates U.S. peak Internet traffic
- Omni-channel shopping putting pressure on stores to raise shopper engagement
- Big spending forecast for UK Black Friday
- Do you know why online shoppers abandon carts?
- Travel study reveals extent of travelers' frustration with poorly performing apps, websites
- Top 3 tips for effective native ad campaigns
- Top 3 email tips for the 2014 holidays
- Study: 3/4 will use phones for holiday shopping
Featured White Papers
- Definitive Guide to Marketing Metrics and Analytics
Download this 70-page, all-encompassing guide to learn the right metrics for understanding and interpreting marketing results, why measuring marketing programs...
- From Average to Elite: 7 Secrets of Today's Top Marketers
Marketing is more chaotic than ever. Pleasing multiple stakeholders, juggling random request inputs and collecting meaningful data from project teams...
- Marketing Attribution in the New World
We all know that consumers generally do not convert after seeing just one advertisement. How do we decide which campaign...