News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Using celebrities won't guarantee your ads go viral
What do the four most-shared Super Bowl ads have in common? None of them contain a celebrity. Instead the most-shared ads were those that promoted emotional responses from the audience.
Following the release of Unruly's recent "The Science of Sharing 2014" report, which focused on the performance of this year's Super Bowl ads, the company's U.S. President, Richard Kosinski, said that celebrities should be reserved for the game's half-time show.
"It wasn't famous faces which had people sharing at this year's Super Bowl," he said, "it was a cute puppy, a caring soldier and a multi-cultural ad from Coca-Cola that stole the show."
In fact, of the top twelve ads ranked by shares, just three featured celebrities of which the most-shared was Bud Light's 'Ian Up for Whatever' with just over 201,000 shares compared with the top-shared ad, Budweiser's 'Puppy Love' which generated almost 1.7 million shares.
According to the report, few ad viewers were driven to share because a celebrity featured in an ad. And, says Unruly, this is also true for ads other than those associated with the Super bowl with just 13% of the most-shared ads of all time in the Unruly Viral Video Chart featuring a celebrity.
Image via Shutterstock
- Mondays a favorite of fraudsters
- Reports show strong Q3, point to strong Q4
- Mobile Roundup: iOS users converting more, device adoption continues to grow
- Study: Moms looking to tech to track family health
- Study reveals global consumer attitudes to cross-border ecommerce
- Apple Pay, HCE to drive NFC-based contactless payments
- Study finds omnichannel strategy can drive more revenue
- Top 3 tips to win with social this holiday season
Featured White Papers
- Move Beyond Batch and Blast Emails
Like many marketers, you've included email in your marketing mix for years. But while email remains a vital channel, traditional...
- Social Media Pocket Guide
In just a few short years, the world of social media has changed immensely. We'll walk through each of the...