News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Using celebrities won't guarantee your ads go viral
What do the four most-shared Super Bowl ads have in common? None of them contain a celebrity. Instead the most-shared ads were those that promoted emotional responses from the audience.
Following the release of Unruly's recent "The Science of Sharing 2014" report, which focused on the performance of this year's Super Bowl ads, the company's U.S. President, Richard Kosinski, said that celebrities should be reserved for the game's half-time show.
"It wasn't famous faces which had people sharing at this year's Super Bowl," he said, "it was a cute puppy, a caring soldier and a multi-cultural ad from Coca-Cola that stole the show."
In fact, of the top twelve ads ranked by shares, just three featured celebrities of which the most-shared was Bud Light's 'Ian Up for Whatever' with just over 201,000 shares compared with the top-shared ad, Budweiser's 'Puppy Love' which generated almost 1.7 million shares.
According to the report, few ad viewers were driven to share because a celebrity featured in an ad. And, says Unruly, this is also true for ads other than those associated with the Super bowl with just 13% of the most-shared ads of all time in the Unruly Viral Video Chart featuring a celebrity.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...