News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Using celebrities won't guarantee your ads go viral
What do the four most-shared Super Bowl ads have in common? None of them contain a celebrity. Instead the most-shared ads were those that promoted emotional responses from the audience.
Following the release of Unruly's recent "The Science of Sharing 2014" report, which focused on the performance of this year's Super Bowl ads, the company's U.S. President, Richard Kosinski, said that celebrities should be reserved for the game's half-time show.
"It wasn't famous faces which had people sharing at this year's Super Bowl," he said, "it was a cute puppy, a caring soldier and a multi-cultural ad from Coca-Cola that stole the show."
In fact, of the top twelve ads ranked by shares, just three featured celebrities of which the most-shared was Bud Light's 'Ian Up for Whatever' with just over 201,000 shares compared with the top-shared ad, Budweiser's 'Puppy Love' which generated almost 1.7 million shares.
According to the report, few ad viewers were driven to share because a celebrity featured in an ad. And, says Unruly, this is also true for ads other than those associated with the Super bowl with just 13% of the most-shared ads of all time in the Unruly Viral Video Chart featuring a celebrity.
Image via Shutterstock
- How loyalty data can improve the shopper experience
- UK consumers will have 12 billion click-to-call conversations this year
- Consumers to brands: Don't call me maybe
- Brands risk reputation when delivery speeds do not match purchaser expectations
- Ad experience improves but ad blocking still rising
- Research reveals power of user-generated images in reviews
- Study: Visuals important in reviews
- Consumers increasingly comfortable with mHealth options
Featured White Papers
- The Keys to a 'Stop 'em & Grab 'em' Landing Page
Follow these keys when developing your landing page, and in no time you will have all of the traffic and...