News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Using celebrities won't guarantee your ads go viral
What do the four most-shared Super Bowl ads have in common? None of them contain a celebrity. Instead the most-shared ads were those that promoted emotional responses from the audience.
Following the release of Unruly's recent "The Science of Sharing 2014" report, which focused on the performance of this year's Super Bowl ads, the company's U.S. President, Richard Kosinski, said that celebrities should be reserved for the game's half-time show.
"It wasn't famous faces which had people sharing at this year's Super Bowl," he said, "it was a cute puppy, a caring soldier and a multi-cultural ad from Coca-Cola that stole the show."
In fact, of the top twelve ads ranked by shares, just three featured celebrities of which the most-shared was Bud Light's 'Ian Up for Whatever' with just over 201,000 shares compared with the top-shared ad, Budweiser's 'Puppy Love' which generated almost 1.7 million shares.
According to the report, few ad viewers were driven to share because a celebrity featured in an ad. And, says Unruly, this is also true for ads other than those associated with the Super bowl with just 13% of the most-shared ads of all time in the Unruly Viral Video Chart featuring a celebrity.
Image via Shutterstock
- Brands: How Chat-As-A-Service can work for you
- Survey: Computers are the connection of choice for sports fans
- Expert: The link between returns and cart abandons
- Mobile Roundup: App releases focus on connection, analysis
- Amazon's latest delivery location - the trunk of your car
- How mobile will change in 2015
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships to deepen brands' reach
- Survey IDs SEO platforms most brand friendly
Featured White Papers
- Design Matters: How To Create The Optimal Mobile Shopping Experience
Over two-thirds of US consumers under 50 say they would be happy if shopping evolved into a mobile-only experience, recent...
- Tasty Tips From Marketing's Master Chefs
The art and science of effective marketing and demand generation is like a great recipe- Marketing master chefs turn traditional...