News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Using celebrities won't guarantee your ads go viral
What do the four most-shared Super Bowl ads have in common? None of them contain a celebrity. Instead the most-shared ads were those that promoted emotional responses from the audience.
Following the release of Unruly's recent "The Science of Sharing 2014" report, which focused on the performance of this year's Super Bowl ads, the company's U.S. President, Richard Kosinski, said that celebrities should be reserved for the game's half-time show.
"It wasn't famous faces which had people sharing at this year's Super Bowl," he said, "it was a cute puppy, a caring soldier and a multi-cultural ad from Coca-Cola that stole the show."
In fact, of the top twelve ads ranked by shares, just three featured celebrities of which the most-shared was Bud Light's 'Ian Up for Whatever' with just over 201,000 shares compared with the top-shared ad, Budweiser's 'Puppy Love' which generated almost 1.7 million shares.
According to the report, few ad viewers were driven to share because a celebrity featured in an ad. And, says Unruly, this is also true for ads other than those associated with the Super bowl with just 13% of the most-shared ads of all time in the Unruly Viral Video Chart featuring a celebrity.
Image via Shutterstock
- Ecommerce Roundup: Payment solutions and an email idea
- How for-profits can capitalize with non-profit strategy
- Study IDs most important shopper for retailers
- Study: Consumers text for customer support
- Study IDs what Apple Watch users are really up to
- Top 3 tips for better triggered emails
- Study: Look for more gift cards this summer
- Top 3 tips to make your email 'Pitch Perfect'
Featured White Papers
- Retargeting on Facebook by the Numbers: The Analysis of Retargeting in the Center of the Social Web
Over the past two years, advertisers have rapidly adopted retargeting on Facebook to drive key metrics like conversions, app downloads,...
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...