News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Traffic to retail websites from mobile up in March, but conversions fell
Data released by Affiliate Window shows that traffic from mobile devices to UK retail websites rose in April compared to March and now account for £1 in every £4 being spent via a smartphone or tablet.
A third (32.4%) of traffic to UK retail sites during March originated from mobile devices, found Affiliate Window in its latest Monthly Mobile Update, up from 30.5% in March.
Of that traffic, 15.8% came from smartphones up from 14.8% in March. The number of sales originating from mobile devices also rose slightly up to 29.7% in April compared to 27.8% in March.
However, during the same period of time, mobile traffic conversions rates fell slightly from 3.9% to 3.8% and mobile average order value dropped 40 cents to £69.03.
In terms of individual device trends, Android smartphones accounted for a quarter (25.12%) of smartphone traffic and 25.6% of sales. Android tablets accounted for 26.6% of tablet traffic but only 15.7% of sales.
Smartphone devices converted at a rate of 2.7% but, as would be expected, tablets did much better with conversion rates of 5.8%.
However, iPad users typically convert at 3% above Android tablets and not only convert at a much higher rate than their Android counterparts, but also spend significantly more when they do.
Affiliate Window's mobile data was drawn from over 2.5m network transactions across 1,600 advertisers spanning the retail, travel and telecoms sectors. Clients worked with include John Lewis, Marks & Spencer, Sky, British Telecom and lastminute.com.
Image via Shutterstock
- The differences between American, European ads and why they matter
- Study: Online video pushing hungry people to burger chains
- Google's HTTPS ranking signal has little to no effect
- 'Huge landmark' as ecommerce mobile traffic overtakes desktop
- Happy birthday, email! Now, what can you do for me?
- Poll: Phone fraud tops $8 billion mark in America
- Webtrends: Top 3 tips to improve online bookings
- Driving website traffic revealed as retailers' biggest challenge
Featured White Papers
- Expert Panel: Brand Strategists Answer Top 5 Social Questions
During SXSW Interactive, we gathered a team of five leading brand strategists to answer the five most pressing social questions...
- The Truth About Cloud Security
"Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?...
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...