News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Traffic to retail websites from mobile up in March, but conversions fell
Data released by Affiliate Window shows that traffic from mobile devices to UK retail websites rose in April compared to March and now account for £1 in every £4 being spent via a smartphone or tablet.
A third (32.4%) of traffic to UK retail sites during March originated from mobile devices, found Affiliate Window in its latest Monthly Mobile Update, up from 30.5% in March.
Of that traffic, 15.8% came from smartphones up from 14.8% in March. The number of sales originating from mobile devices also rose slightly up to 29.7% in April compared to 27.8% in March.
However, during the same period of time, mobile traffic conversions rates fell slightly from 3.9% to 3.8% and mobile average order value dropped 40 cents to £69.03.
In terms of individual device trends, Android smartphones accounted for a quarter (25.12%) of smartphone traffic and 25.6% of sales. Android tablets accounted for 26.6% of tablet traffic but only 15.7% of sales.
Smartphone devices converted at a rate of 2.7% but, as would be expected, tablets did much better with conversion rates of 5.8%.
However, iPad users typically convert at 3% above Android tablets and not only convert at a much higher rate than their Android counterparts, but also spend significantly more when they do.
Affiliate Window's mobile data was drawn from over 2.5m network transactions across 1,600 advertisers spanning the retail, travel and telecoms sectors. Clients worked with include John Lewis, Marks & Spencer, Sky, British Telecom and lastminute.com.
Image via Shutterstock
- Expert: Travel next up for programmatic direct
- Expert: How to reduce involuntary churn
- 170% rise in ad requests containing location data
- Brexit, Trump leave marketers skittish about targeting
- Email analysis reveals extent of email attacks on businesses
- Report IDs the next big tech products
- Brands: How to prep for the subscription economy
- Expert: What Buffett's Walmart sale means
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...