News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Traffic to retail websites from mobile up in March, but conversions fell
Data released by Affiliate Window shows that traffic from mobile devices to UK retail websites rose in April compared to March and now account for £1 in every £4 being spent via a smartphone or tablet.
A third (32.4%) of traffic to UK retail sites during March originated from mobile devices, found Affiliate Window in its latest Monthly Mobile Update, up from 30.5% in March.
Of that traffic, 15.8% came from smartphones up from 14.8% in March. The number of sales originating from mobile devices also rose slightly up to 29.7% in April compared to 27.8% in March.
However, during the same period of time, mobile traffic conversions rates fell slightly from 3.9% to 3.8% and mobile average order value dropped 40 cents to £69.03.
In terms of individual device trends, Android smartphones accounted for a quarter (25.12%) of smartphone traffic and 25.6% of sales. Android tablets accounted for 26.6% of tablet traffic but only 15.7% of sales.
Smartphone devices converted at a rate of 2.7% but, as would be expected, tablets did much better with conversion rates of 5.8%.
However, iPad users typically convert at 3% above Android tablets and not only convert at a much higher rate than their Android counterparts, but also spend significantly more when they do.
Affiliate Window's mobile data was drawn from over 2.5m network transactions across 1,600 advertisers spanning the retail, travel and telecoms sectors. Clients worked with include John Lewis, Marks & Spencer, Sky, British Telecom and lastminute.com.
Image via Shutterstock
- Nielsen: Generations bucking preconceived notions of behavior
- Study reveals shopping habits not influenced by Black Friday flash sales
- Study: Shoppers plan to spend more, save more this holiday
- How to respond to bad reviews
- Top tips for a better 2016 IT strategy
- Click-and-collect drives additional in-store sales
- Oxford Dictionaries announces 'word of the year' and it is not a word
- Last-minute shopping on the rise during holiday season
Featured White Papers
- Statistics for Online Experiments: How to Think and Act Like a Statistician
Statistics are the underpinning of how Optimizely's customers use data to make decisions. To run great experiments, investing in an...
- Lean Content Marketing
Content is king. If you're a modern marketer, you know why--it is the fuel for your lead generation and nurturing...