News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Traffic to retail websites from mobile up in March, but conversions fell
Data released by Affiliate Window shows that traffic from mobile devices to UK retail websites rose in April compared to March and now account for £1 in every £4 being spent via a smartphone or tablet.
A third (32.4%) of traffic to UK retail sites during March originated from mobile devices, found Affiliate Window in its latest Monthly Mobile Update, up from 30.5% in March.
Of that traffic, 15.8% came from smartphones up from 14.8% in March. The number of sales originating from mobile devices also rose slightly up to 29.7% in April compared to 27.8% in March.
However, during the same period of time, mobile traffic conversions rates fell slightly from 3.9% to 3.8% and mobile average order value dropped 40 cents to £69.03.
In terms of individual device trends, Android smartphones accounted for a quarter (25.12%) of smartphone traffic and 25.6% of sales. Android tablets accounted for 26.6% of tablet traffic but only 15.7% of sales.
Smartphone devices converted at a rate of 2.7% but, as would be expected, tablets did much better with conversion rates of 5.8%.
However, iPad users typically convert at 3% above Android tablets and not only convert at a much higher rate than their Android counterparts, but also spend significantly more when they do.
Affiliate Window's mobile data was drawn from over 2.5m network transactions across 1,600 advertisers spanning the retail, travel and telecoms sectors. Clients worked with include John Lewis, Marks & Spencer, Sky, British Telecom and lastminute.com.
Image via Shutterstock
- FTC's new 'merchandise rule' to come into effect before Christmas
- Brands: Why content needs better optimization
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships and acquisitions to improve platforms
- Consumers prefer SMS to apps for brand communications
- Physical stores still popular with young fashion shoppers
- Britain has more female gamers than male
- Permission-based email marketers still finding inbox placement hard work
- Study: Mobile driving travel plans
Featured White Papers
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...