News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Top 3 tips for SMBs to be paid on time
Ask any small business owner and they'll tell you: receiving paid invoices on time is one of their biggest concerns and pet peeves. But according to new data out from Xero, that is changing - because more SMBs are being paid faster than ever.
New data out from Xero indicates a change in the economic weather for many small businesses. According to their analysis of more than 16 million small business invoices, SMBs are being paid about 17 days sooner than they were in 2011. That is an increase in payment time of 37%, and is probably helping many SMB owners sleep easier at night.
Is your business being paid early? Xero's experts off their top 3 tips to improve payment time:
First, talk terms before starting a project. This seems simple enough but according to Xero making it clear when invoices should be paid - before starting a job - is crucial to actually being paid on time. And, by the way, Xero's data shows that if SMBs want invoices to be paid within 30 days the payment terms should be set to 13 days or less because most debtors pay invoices two weeks after they are received.
Second, don't wait to invoice. So you have sixty days to complete a job but finish in 35. Don't wait the additional 25 days to send that invoice. When the job is complete, invoice the contracting business.
"Send your invoice as soon as possible, the sooner a client receives an invoice the sooner they will make payment. It also means they will receive it when the value of your work is still fresh in their mind," writes Xero.
Finally, simplify the invoice. Detail the job, but make sure those details make sense to the client.
"List the details of the job in a way that makes sense to the client and receive validation that they read clear; any confusion could create a payment lag. It's also good to personalize your invoice with your business logo - it helps carry on the professionalism of your work. Ensure your bank details are on the invoice so you can be paid," writes Xero.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...