News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Survey: SMBs banking more revenue
Small businesses are in an optimistic pattern, brought on by increased revenues. That is the takeaway from a new SMB survey by Constant Contact which indicates most (81%) of SMBs believe revenues will continue to rise through 2014; just over half (65%) report they've cut back on things because of the tight economy.
"It's encouraging to see that small businesses expect their revenue growth to extend into 2014," said Gail Goodman, CEO of Constant Contact. "This optimistic outlook is not translating into larger staffs, however. Almost half (49 percent) tell us they will not be hiring over the next 12 months, with 27 percent saying they plan to hire, and the balance telling us they're not sure what they will do. On the plus side, only eight percent report having to lay off employees in the last 12 months, which could be viewed as a positive outcome of their conservative hiring approach."
Some interesting takeaways from the survey include:
• 40% of SMBs saw revenue growth in 2013
• 38% expect revenues to increase between 10% and 25% this year
• 15% say revenues will be flat, 20% say revenues will increase less than 10%
• 82% say they're working within multiple channels to push growth
Of those who are pushing multi-channel, most (73%) say multi-channel campaigns improve customer engagement while 57% report multi-channel campaigns bring them new customers. About half say they've improved website traffic or event attendance based on multi-channel marketing efforts. One problem is that SMBs don't know if their customers are using every channel (59%), which could be an indication that they're spending time and effort where their customers will not benefit.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Look for more gift cards this summer
- Top 3 tips to make your email 'Pitch Perfect'
- Survey: Retailers aren't ready for EMV deadline
- PulsePoint: Content marketing, native future of advertising
- Ad Roundup: Bringing scale to online brands
- Pixalate releases list of top programmatic networks
- How non-profits are succeeding online
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
Featured White Papers
- Retargeting on Facebook by the Numbers: The Analysis of Retargeting in the Center of the Social Web
Over the past two years, advertisers have rapidly adopted retargeting on Facebook to drive key metrics like conversions, app downloads,...
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...