News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Survey reveals age is no barrier to confident Internet use
If you believe older generations struggle with technology you could be falling for an outdated stereotype. New research among those age 50 and over reveals that they are just as confident with technology and Internet use as those in their 30s and 40s.
A survey of 1,012 British consumers aged 30 and over by digital marketing firm iProspect found that age is no barrier to Internet use and online activity. In fact, iProsepct's report, 'The Ageless Internet: From Silver Surfers to Golden Geeks', found that those on the other side of 50 regularly and confidently engage with ecommerce.
Eight out of ten respondents aged over 50 said they did not see their age as a barrier to online use, and they intend to make more use of it in the future. That sentiment was expressed by even more (88%) among those aged 60-69 and as much as 92% of those aged 70+.
Chris Whitelaw, CEO of iProspect, says that the "patronizing approach to older generations needs to be put to rest".
"They are time-rich, and, accounting for their lower financial commitments, comparatively cash-rich too. They research online, and are strong believers in the power of search to make their lives easier; they 'reverse-showroom', researching products online and buying in store; they are comfortable buying many products online," writes Angus Wood, Head of Earned Media, on the iProspect blog.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...