News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Survey reveals age is no barrier to confident Internet use
If you believe older generations struggle with technology you could be falling for an outdated stereotype. New research among those age 50 and over reveals that they are just as confident with technology and Internet use as those in their 30s and 40s.
A survey of 1,012 British consumers aged 30 and over by digital marketing firm iProspect found that age is no barrier to Internet use and online activity. In fact, iProsepct's report, 'The Ageless Internet: From Silver Surfers to Golden Geeks', found that those on the other side of 50 regularly and confidently engage with ecommerce.
Eight out of ten respondents aged over 50 said they did not see their age as a barrier to online use, and they intend to make more use of it in the future. That sentiment was expressed by even more (88%) among those aged 60-69 and as much as 92% of those aged 70+.
Chris Whitelaw, CEO of iProspect, says that the "patronizing approach to older generations needs to be put to rest".
"They are time-rich, and, accounting for their lower financial commitments, comparatively cash-rich too. They research online, and are strong believers in the power of search to make their lives easier; they 'reverse-showroom', researching products online and buying in store; they are comfortable buying many products online," writes Angus Wood, Head of Earned Media, on the iProspect blog.
Image via Shutterstock
- Forrester: Mobile social users more engaged, share more
- Top 3 tips for SMBs using webinars
- Air passengers demand constant connectivity and fast in-flight Wi-Fi
- Power Users + Loyal Users = App Stickiness
- Shareaholic: Quarter of website traffic driven by Facebook
- B2B firms struggling with content marketing
- Brands piggy-backing on major events not guaranteed success
- Expert: Why SMBs are pushing farther into digital
Featured White Papers
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...