News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Survey reveals age is no barrier to confident Internet use
If you believe older generations struggle with technology you could be falling for an outdated stereotype. New research among those age 50 and over reveals that they are just as confident with technology and Internet use as those in their 30s and 40s.
A survey of 1,012 British consumers aged 30 and over by digital marketing firm iProspect found that age is no barrier to Internet use and online activity. In fact, iProsepct's report, 'The Ageless Internet: From Silver Surfers to Golden Geeks', found that those on the other side of 50 regularly and confidently engage with ecommerce.
Eight out of ten respondents aged over 50 said they did not see their age as a barrier to online use, and they intend to make more use of it in the future. That sentiment was expressed by even more (88%) among those aged 60-69 and as much as 92% of those aged 70+.
Chris Whitelaw, CEO of iProspect, says that the "patronizing approach to older generations needs to be put to rest".
"They are time-rich, and, accounting for their lower financial commitments, comparatively cash-rich too. They research online, and are strong believers in the power of search to make their lives easier; they 'reverse-showroom', researching products online and buying in store; they are comfortable buying many products online," writes Angus Wood, Head of Earned Media, on the iProspect blog.
Image via Shutterstock
- Survey: Gamers don't want interruptions
- Reports: Back to school stressing parents
- How to measure engagement to reach a deeper customer relationship
- Survey: Amazon influencing back to school shoppers
- Hilton gives guests greater control with significant app upgrade
- Top 3 tips for better channel optimization
- Study: Sales, marketing disconnect resulting in bad customer experience
- UK businesses failing to consistently and effectively employ social for customer support
Featured White Papers
- What Sales Should REALLY Expect from Marketing Automation
In this Deep Dive we will explore what sales leaders should actually be demanding from marketing automation tools. In fact,...
- Learn the True Importance of Global Brand Management
Effective branding has always been an important part of business and is an especially important component of the customer experience,...
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...