News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Survey: In-Store still winning for many purchases
The ease of online shopping grows every day, but according to one new study in-store is still winning for a majority of purchases in several key verticals like appliances, computers and even mobile phones.
It may come as no surprise that many shoppers prefer to buy groceries in-store rather than online or even appliances. But new data out from Interactions indicates in-store purchasing continues to top online even with mobile phones, computers and electronics. In-store is also still winning in the return category - more than 84% of those surveyed said if returns are necessary they prefer returning to a physical location, not via the mail.
Other interesting findings from the report include:
• 88% of shoppers have online spending limits and will not go over them
• Men say they're most comfortable spending up to $250 online, women say $25 is their comfort limit
• 88% report they have 'webroomed' an item, 76% say they've 'showroomed'
• Most report they webroom/showroom to compare prices or for product research
• 18% say they showroom to avoid waiting in checkout lines
"What the results of this survey revealed is that consumers expect retailers to be everywhere they are. If retailers only optimize according to channel, or neglect to embrace the concept of 'Everywhere Commerce', they are putting themselves at risk of an inconsistent customer experience, potentially reduced profits and diminished brand loyalty," write the researchers.
Meanwhile about one-third (34%) of those surveyed say they 'don't feel safe' giving up payment details online or are 'uncomfortable' with the buying online process.
Image via Shutterstock
- Expert: Where retailers should focus this holiday season
- Top 3 tips to create stronger video content
- Forecast: Holidays could be a boon to retailers
- 'Password fatigue' drives social login use
- Millennial-led SMBs defining new world order for marketing
- Online payment fraud costing U.S. merchants billions
- Online ad viewability in UK remains below 50%
- Mobile banking logins outpacing desktop
Featured White Papers
- How to Master the Art of LinkedIn InMail Prospecting
Learn how to improve your LinkedIn Inmail prospecting skills with this practical guide, complete with real-life examples....