News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Survey: In-Store still winning for many purchases
The ease of online shopping grows every day, but according to one new study in-store is still winning for a majority of purchases in several key verticals like appliances, computers and even mobile phones.
It may come as no surprise that many shoppers prefer to buy groceries in-store rather than online or even appliances. But new data out from Interactions indicates in-store purchasing continues to top online even with mobile phones, computers and electronics. In-store is also still winning in the return category - more than 84% of those surveyed said if returns are necessary they prefer returning to a physical location, not via the mail.
Other interesting findings from the report include:
• 88% of shoppers have online spending limits and will not go over them
• Men say they're most comfortable spending up to $250 online, women say $25 is their comfort limit
• 88% report they have 'webroomed' an item, 76% say they've 'showroomed'
• Most report they webroom/showroom to compare prices or for product research
• 18% say they showroom to avoid waiting in checkout lines
"What the results of this survey revealed is that consumers expect retailers to be everywhere they are. If retailers only optimize according to channel, or neglect to embrace the concept of 'Everywhere Commerce', they are putting themselves at risk of an inconsistent customer experience, potentially reduced profits and diminished brand loyalty," write the researchers.
Meanwhile about one-third (34%) of those surveyed say they 'don't feel safe' giving up payment details online or are 'uncomfortable' with the buying online process.
Image via Shutterstock
- Consumers prefer human touch for insurance buying, claims
- Study: Digital strategy not properly defined
- Expert: User engagement trumps viewability
- Combining contextual marketing and demographics gives 3D-view of consumer
- Research warns marketers to consider social media followers' diverse network
- Ad Roundup: Tools for content, collaboration
- Leisure travel most popular discretionary spending category in UK
- Ad Roundup: Data, ecommerce tools
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...