News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Mobile travel revs to top $55b
Over the next four years the mobile travel vertical is expected to see significant growth, moving from $16 billion (2013) to just over $55 billion by 2017. But how are consumers using mobile to find, book and enjoy trips? New data out from Millennial Media offers insight.
As with many other verticals, consumers continually push more of their travel dollars into the mobile space. This is pushing more travel brands into mobile, as well. Currently mobile accounts for about 12% of the total digital travel spend. Smart spending since, according to the Millennial Media report consumers are using mobile throughout the travel process - to research, to book and to map while on the trip.
They're also using mobile to toss up reviews and offer feedback to hotels, rental car shops and other businesses.
Here are some interesting takeaways:
• 60% of the mobile travel audience is male, 40% female
• 92% own smartphones, 51% own tablets
• 18-24 year olds spend 34% of their time in mobile travel content, 25-44 year olds spend about 35% of their time
• While using smartphones for travel, 42% are also using PCs/laptops, 39% are watching TV and 27% are on a tablet
As for how these tech-savvy travelers are using their devices, the whole trip looks like this: research and then booking, taking the trip and then reviewing. Most (70%) are using tablets to research or book travel at home while about one-third use smartphones while they are mid-trip or while at work.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 social trends to watch in 2015
- Why clicks will regain importance in 2015
- Security concerns cause 23% of consumers to shop less online
- Mobile and online key resource for last-minute Christmas shoppers
- Third of consumers never pay full price online
- Online cash register bells will continue ringing on Christmas Day and Boxing Day
- Experts: App usage will change in 2015
- How data will influence 2015
Featured White Papers
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- Targeting (That's on target)
"Hopeful messaging is wasted messaging. Clear targeting means more than just Who. It also demands a knowledge of How, When,...
- Leveraging Facebook to Improve ROI on Brand Sites
Rather than deserting your brand site for a Facebook Fan Page, the best digital marketing strategies incorporate a Facebook presence...