News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Mobile travel revs to top $55b
Over the next four years the mobile travel vertical is expected to see significant growth, moving from $16 billion (2013) to just over $55 billion by 2017. But how are consumers using mobile to find, book and enjoy trips? New data out from Millennial Media offers insight.
As with many other verticals, consumers continually push more of their travel dollars into the mobile space. This is pushing more travel brands into mobile, as well. Currently mobile accounts for about 12% of the total digital travel spend. Smart spending since, according to the Millennial Media report consumers are using mobile throughout the travel process - to research, to book and to map while on the trip.
They're also using mobile to toss up reviews and offer feedback to hotels, rental car shops and other businesses.
Here are some interesting takeaways:
• 60% of the mobile travel audience is male, 40% female
• 92% own smartphones, 51% own tablets
• 18-24 year olds spend 34% of their time in mobile travel content, 25-44 year olds spend about 35% of their time
• While using smartphones for travel, 42% are also using PCs/laptops, 39% are watching TV and 27% are on a tablet
As for how these tech-savvy travelers are using their devices, the whole trip looks like this: research and then booking, taking the trip and then reviewing. Most (70%) are using tablets to research or book travel at home while about one-third use smartphones while they are mid-trip or while at work.
Image via Shutterstock
- Ad Roundup: Video, content tools launched
- Binge-viewing is booming but it is a lonely activity
- IAB UK: Not all ad blockers want to block all ads
- Top 4 tips to reduce holiday fraud
- Expert: How telecoms can do better at customer service
- Survey: Students, parents say localization key to buying
- Corporate Visions release powers insights-based data
- Neurological study pits digital ads against physical ads
Featured White Papers
- The Big Impact of Big Data on Affiliate Marketing
If you are relying on affiliate networks you have no access to vital data to manage affiliate processes such as...
- 8th Annual Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report
Download the Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report for 2015 to find out about the latest trends, industry benchmarks and best...