News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Employees bringing more apps to work
Applications are making it simpler for workers to collaborate, work on projects via mobile devices and to finish projects in a timely manner. But, according to a new study about seven times more apps are being brought into businesses - and those apps may be putting business data at risk.
A new study out from LogMeIn may make business owners think twice about how their employees are working - solo and in groups - on the Internet. That is because about 70% of businesses have some 'BYOA' - bring your own app - presence. This even though many IT departments say only about 2.8 apps are 'brought in' to a business; in truth, the LogMeIn study estimates about 21 apps are BYOA.
While not all these apps are harmful, some can put business data at risk.
According to the report:
• 64% of employees are BYOA even if their work has a similar solution in place
• 59% of employee introduced collaboration apps are adopted
• 67% employee introduced remote access apps are adopted
• 81% of businesses say they'll have a BYOA policy in place over the next two years
• 39% of businesses aren't managing BYOA at all
What is maybe more startling about the study is that fewer than half of employees (45%) are consulting IT prior to bringing a new app into their workplace; meanwhile, about 30% of the time managers are provisioning apps rather than IT departments.
What are workers looking for in apps? More than half (56%) want mobile friendly apps while about 54% want simpler file sharing options.
As for how businesses are dealing with the introduction of new apps, more than one-third aren't dealing with it at all while 30% say they 'manage BYOA' by blocking apps and 29% say they analyze traffic logs and use monitoring devices to ensure BYOAs aren't a danger to the company.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Look for more gift cards this summer
- Top 3 tips to make your email 'Pitch Perfect'
- Survey: Retailers aren't ready for EMV deadline
- PulsePoint: Content marketing, native future of advertising
- Ad Roundup: Bringing scale to online brands
- Pixalate releases list of top programmatic networks
- How non-profits are succeeding online
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
Featured White Papers
- Retargeting on Facebook by the Numbers: The Analysis of Retargeting in the Center of the Social Web
Over the past two years, advertisers have rapidly adopted retargeting on Facebook to drive key metrics like conversions, app downloads,...
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...