News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Employees bringing more apps to work
Applications are making it simpler for workers to collaborate, work on projects via mobile devices and to finish projects in a timely manner. But, according to a new study about seven times more apps are being brought into businesses - and those apps may be putting business data at risk.
A new study out from LogMeIn may make business owners think twice about how their employees are working - solo and in groups - on the Internet. That is because about 70% of businesses have some 'BYOA' - bring your own app - presence. This even though many IT departments say only about 2.8 apps are 'brought in' to a business; in truth, the LogMeIn study estimates about 21 apps are BYOA.
While not all these apps are harmful, some can put business data at risk.
According to the report:
• 64% of employees are BYOA even if their work has a similar solution in place
• 59% of employee introduced collaboration apps are adopted
• 67% employee introduced remote access apps are adopted
• 81% of businesses say they'll have a BYOA policy in place over the next two years
• 39% of businesses aren't managing BYOA at all
What is maybe more startling about the study is that fewer than half of employees (45%) are consulting IT prior to bringing a new app into their workplace; meanwhile, about 30% of the time managers are provisioning apps rather than IT departments.
What are workers looking for in apps? More than half (56%) want mobile friendly apps while about 54% want simpler file sharing options.
As for how businesses are dealing with the introduction of new apps, more than one-third aren't dealing with it at all while 30% say they 'manage BYOA' by blocking apps and 29% say they analyze traffic logs and use monitoring devices to ensure BYOAs aren't a danger to the company.
Image via Shutterstock
- Report: Over half of Millennials have or will use Bots
- Report: Finances key to engaging Boomers
- Top 3 tips to strengthen travel-based ad strategy
- Report IDs differences in how people use social
- Ad Roundup: Platform expansions and a partnership
- Survey: Hispanic SMBs show strong optimism
- Ad Roundup: Partnership, integration to bring brands more
- Report: Super Bowl ads drove traffic into stores
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...