News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Social-mobile ad revenues to outstrip desktop by 2018
Over the past year, social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter have generated dramatic revenue growth and, according to new forecasts, 2014 will see the biggest year-on-year growth in social media ad revenues.
Social media ad revenues in the U.S. reached $5.1 billion in 2013 and, with a 24% compound annual growth rate are expected to grow to $15 billion by 2018, forecasts ad consulting firm BIA/Kelsey.
In 2014, social media ad revenues will reach $8.4 billion representing the largest year-on-year growth to date, largely driven by mobile and native advertising.
Meanwhile, social display advertising revenues will rise to $5.6 billion by 2013 from 2013's $3.3 billion, a compound annual growth rate of 11.3%.
Native social advertising is growing faster than social display and is forecast to generate $9.4 billion by 2018 compared to 2013's $1.8 billion. BIA/Kelsey forecast native social ad revenues will eclipse display revenues next year.
As for mobile, BIA/Kelsey forecasts social-mobile ad revenues will reach $7.6 billion by 2018, surpassing social desktop for the first time.
"We were initially skeptical about the social-mobile market's ability to capture optimal wallet share because of mobile's limitations, such as smaller screen size, limited ad inventory and static creative," said Jed Williams, VP, consulting, BIA/Kelsey.
"Over the past year, however, Facebook, Twitter and other networks have generated dramatic revenue growth, primarily as a function of mobile ad acceleration and largely through natively integrated mobile ad formats. We expect this growth to continue throughout the forecast period."
Image via Shutterstock
- Report: Desktops still lead online spending
- Video ad campaigns with subtitles outperform in brand awareness
- Two-thirds of ad execs Google prospective employees
- 61% of brand content on Snapchat is video
- Survey: Trust influences more consumers to share information
- Expert: Travel next up for programmatic direct
- Expert: How to reduce involuntary churn
- New service alerts marketers when competitors air new TV ads
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...