News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Social-mobile ad revenues to outstrip desktop by 2018
Over the past year, social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter have generated dramatic revenue growth and, according to new forecasts, 2014 will see the biggest year-on-year growth in social media ad revenues.
Social media ad revenues in the U.S. reached $5.1 billion in 2013 and, with a 24% compound annual growth rate are expected to grow to $15 billion by 2018, forecasts ad consulting firm BIA/Kelsey.
In 2014, social media ad revenues will reach $8.4 billion representing the largest year-on-year growth to date, largely driven by mobile and native advertising.
Meanwhile, social display advertising revenues will rise to $5.6 billion by 2013 from 2013's $3.3 billion, a compound annual growth rate of 11.3%.
Native social advertising is growing faster than social display and is forecast to generate $9.4 billion by 2018 compared to 2013's $1.8 billion. BIA/Kelsey forecast native social ad revenues will eclipse display revenues next year.
As for mobile, BIA/Kelsey forecasts social-mobile ad revenues will reach $7.6 billion by 2018, surpassing social desktop for the first time.
"We were initially skeptical about the social-mobile market's ability to capture optimal wallet share because of mobile's limitations, such as smaller screen size, limited ad inventory and static creative," said Jed Williams, VP, consulting, BIA/Kelsey.
"Over the past year, however, Facebook, Twitter and other networks have generated dramatic revenue growth, primarily as a function of mobile ad acceleration and largely through natively integrated mobile ad formats. We expect this growth to continue throughout the forecast period."
Image via Shutterstock
- Research reveals which website image format results in happier visitors
- Location accuracy analysis reveals improvement for mobile ad campaigns
- Research reveals Millennials' attitudes toward brands
- Survey: Online, offline shopping experiences 'merging'
- Message Systems flips email to up engagement
- Marketers beware - research your target market or risk stereotyping
- Google: U.S government user data requests up 250% since 2009
- Survey reveals general reluctance to pay for online content and apps
Featured White Papers
- Why the Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
Do you want to see why marketers are outsourcing their writing? Read this white paper to learn how external writers...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...
- The Social Hunger: Why Your Audience Feasts on Social Integration
For the past few years, marketers have 'woken up' to consumers who have the power to express their views anytime...
- The 8 Critical Metrics for Measuring App User Engagement
Measuring and optimizing for the right engagement metrics is the key to attaining and keeping users. Whether your business model...