News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Six surprising myths about social sharing
If you think Millennials and younger generations engage and share brand content the most, and that most content sharing is done via social networks, new data from RadiumOne might surprise you.
In a new infographic, RadiumOne attempts to dispel some widely-believed myths regarding social media and content sharing.
Perhaps the most intriguing is that it's a myth that most content sharing happens via social networks such as Twitter and Facebook. In fact, says RadiumOne, most people - a whopping 72% - are still using the somewhat archaic practice of copying and pasting. This is also true of content shared via mobile, and iOS users were found to use copy and paste the most.
Another myth highlighted by RadiumOne is that Millennials and younger generations are more likely to engage with and share a brand's content. It turns out this is actually the least likely group. Social media users aged between 55 and 64 are the most likely to share and engage with brand content whether they are using mobile or desktop. Forty-one percent of Baby Boomers share and engage content compared to just 19% of Millennials.
"We live in a world of sharing. Billions of articles, items, and links are shared every single day. However, when people think "sharing", they immediately think Facebook and Twitter. This is a mistake, and an even bigger mistake for marketers, as sharing on these networks really is just the tip of the iceberg," writes Rupert Staines, Managing Director (EMEA) of RadiumOne on the company's blog.
"Facebook and Twitter do account for around 25% of all shared items, and it's easy to measure. However, the key question here is "what about the other 75%?" or as we, at RadiumOne refer to it, 'Dark Social'."
Check out RadiumOne's infographic to discover the remaining four myths of social sharing.
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...