News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Six surprising myths about social sharing
If you think Millennials and younger generations engage and share brand content the most, and that most content sharing is done via social networks, new data from RadiumOne might surprise you.
In a new infographic, RadiumOne attempts to dispel some widely-believed myths regarding social media and content sharing.
Perhaps the most intriguing is that it's a myth that most content sharing happens via social networks such as Twitter and Facebook. In fact, says RadiumOne, most people - a whopping 72% - are still using the somewhat archaic practice of copying and pasting. This is also true of content shared via mobile, and iOS users were found to use copy and paste the most.
Another myth highlighted by RadiumOne is that Millennials and younger generations are more likely to engage with and share a brand's content. It turns out this is actually the least likely group. Social media users aged between 55 and 64 are the most likely to share and engage with brand content whether they are using mobile or desktop. Forty-one percent of Baby Boomers share and engage content compared to just 19% of Millennials.
"We live in a world of sharing. Billions of articles, items, and links are shared every single day. However, when people think "sharing", they immediately think Facebook and Twitter. This is a mistake, and an even bigger mistake for marketers, as sharing on these networks really is just the tip of the iceberg," writes Rupert Staines, Managing Director (EMEA) of RadiumOne on the company's blog.
"Facebook and Twitter do account for around 25% of all shared items, and it's easy to measure. However, the key question here is "what about the other 75%?" or as we, at RadiumOne refer to it, 'Dark Social'."
Check out RadiumOne's infographic to discover the remaining four myths of social sharing.
- 61% of brand content on Snapchat is video
- Survey: Trust influences more consumers to share information
- Expert: Travel next up for programmatic direct
- Expert: How to reduce involuntary churn
- 170% rise in ad requests containing location data
- Brexit, Trump leave marketers skittish about targeting
- Email analysis reveals extent of email attacks on businesses
- Report IDs the next big tech products
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...