News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Rocket Fuel responds to Mercedes-Benz ad fraud figures
Mercedes-Benz is the latest big brand to fall victim to online fraud with over half of a sample of ad impressions deemed to be viewed by advertising botnets, according to the Financial Times, a figure that Rocket Fuel, who brokered the ads, refutes.
Recent data from ad technology provider Project Sunblock found that more than three-quarters (78%) of UK advertisers have no insight into how many of their online advertising impressions are fraudulent.
Furthermore, the survey of 268 senior marketing decision makers with UK brands found that 1 in 5 have no process in place to prevent them falling victim to botnets, despite the problem costing them a significant amount of money - £10-£15,000 (US$17-25,000) each year.
In this week's Financial Times it was revealed that luxury car brand Mercedes-Benz had fallen victim. In a sample of 365,000 ad impressions brokered by Rocket Fuel during a three week period, more than half (57%) were deemed to have been the result of botnets rather than human.
"This is a unfortunate case for Mercedes, but it is far from alone in its fight against the advertising botnets," said Andrew Goode, COO of Project Sunblock. "Complex computer programmes are preying on big advertising budgets as marketers flock online in order to increase brand visibility. So much so, that industry bodies now predict that at least a third of all online traffic is generated by robots."
However, Rocket Fuel has denied the 57% quoted by the Financial Times. Instead, they told The Drum that only 6% of Mercedes-Benz's ad impressions were fraudulent. Indeed, that 6% of "questionable" ads were replaced by quality ad inventory.
"Bots are a real problem, but less so than sensational headlines on top of non-news," Rocket Fuel told The Drum.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Smartphone viewers more likely to click
- Ad Roundup: Releases for social data, site understanding
- Best practices for a solid omnichannel strategy
- Five-fold YoY growth in contactless payment use in UK
- Marketing spend on social to rise from 11% to a quarter of budget
- Checking email chews up 6.3 hours per day
- Study: Content, page loads reduce brand trust
- Study: Personalization key for email engagement
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...