News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Research reveals rise of restaurant reservations by mobile
New research from restaurant booking service Bookatable reveals a significant rise in the number of diners that book restaurants on a mobile device.
The research, carried out among 850,000 Bookatable users, found that 41% of diners now use a mobile device to book a table at a restaurant compared to just 7% three years ago.
Women were found to be far more likely to make a restaurant reservation by a mobile device - 61% of bookings were made by women compared to just 39% made by men.
Mobile restaurant bookings feature more so in the evening than those made on desktop. While desktop online searches for restaurants peak at 12.20pm, perhaps while people are at work, mobile searches spiked at 7.07pm.
According to Joe Steele, CEO of Bookatble, as more people rely on mobile devices to make purchases, so they also rely on their devices to make reservations in a world of 'instant gratification'.
"This significant increase in restaurant booking through smartphone and tablet devices indicates a major shift in the marketplace and shows that consumers are no longer making these kinds of decisions from a static position," said Steele.
In terms of spending, diners that book restaurants via mobile were found to spend up to 37% less than desktop bookers, with an average bill of £27.63 (US$46.53) compared to £37.78. (US$63.59). However, mobile bookers were more interested in trying out new venues with 44% making first-time dining reservations.
Image via Shutterstock
- Brands: How to better use reviews for your business
- How to keep customers loyal through the holidays
- 50% of Millennials will do most of their holiday shopping on Black Friday, Cyber Monday
- Consumers expect shopping experience to be revolutionized by wearable tech
- Highest online parcel volume recorded in October 2015
- How to convince wary app users to share location data
- How to protect against fake reviews
- 3 IT trends to watch in 2016
Featured White Papers
- Statistics for Online Experiments: How to Think and Act Like a Statistician
Statistics are the underpinning of how Optimizely's customers use data to make decisions. To run great experiments, investing in an...
- Lean Content Marketing
Content is king. If you're a modern marketer, you know why--it is the fuel for your lead generation and nurturing...