News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Research reveals rise of restaurant reservations by mobile
New research from restaurant booking service Bookatable reveals a significant rise in the number of diners that book restaurants on a mobile device.
The research, carried out among 850,000 Bookatable users, found that 41% of diners now use a mobile device to book a table at a restaurant compared to just 7% three years ago.
Women were found to be far more likely to make a restaurant reservation by a mobile device - 61% of bookings were made by women compared to just 39% made by men.
Mobile restaurant bookings feature more so in the evening than those made on desktop. While desktop online searches for restaurants peak at 12.20pm, perhaps while people are at work, mobile searches spiked at 7.07pm.
According to Joe Steele, CEO of Bookatble, as more people rely on mobile devices to make purchases, so they also rely on their devices to make reservations in a world of 'instant gratification'.
"This significant increase in restaurant booking through smartphone and tablet devices indicates a major shift in the marketplace and shows that consumers are no longer making these kinds of decisions from a static position," said Steele.
In terms of spending, diners that book restaurants via mobile were found to spend up to 37% less than desktop bookers, with an average bill of £27.63 (US$46.53) compared to £37.78. (US$63.59). However, mobile bookers were more interested in trying out new venues with 44% making first-time dining reservations.
Image via Shutterstock
- 25% of smartphone owners have used mobile wallet technology at least once
- Forge relationships with consumers with gamification marketing techniques
- 50% of teens bored of Facebook as the social network loses its 'cool' factor
- Studies ID social trends for the holiday season
- Experts: Use the Hunger Games strategy to avoid spam folders
- Studies predict strong holiday shopping season
- Unruly IDs the most shared videos of 2014
- Expert: Why marketers should watch augmented reality
Featured White Papers
- 2014 Top Insights for Marketing Executives
Winning consumers over today requires building new capabilities that make brands more agile and provides deeper, more intimate knowledge of...
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....