News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Research reveals rise of restaurant reservations by mobile
New research from restaurant booking service Bookatable reveals a significant rise in the number of diners that book restaurants on a mobile device.
The research, carried out among 850,000 Bookatable users, found that 41% of diners now use a mobile device to book a table at a restaurant compared to just 7% three years ago.
Women were found to be far more likely to make a restaurant reservation by a mobile device - 61% of bookings were made by women compared to just 39% made by men.
Mobile restaurant bookings feature more so in the evening than those made on desktop. While desktop online searches for restaurants peak at 12.20pm, perhaps while people are at work, mobile searches spiked at 7.07pm.
According to Joe Steele, CEO of Bookatble, as more people rely on mobile devices to make purchases, so they also rely on their devices to make reservations in a world of 'instant gratification'.
"This significant increase in restaurant booking through smartphone and tablet devices indicates a major shift in the marketplace and shows that consumers are no longer making these kinds of decisions from a static position," said Steele.
In terms of spending, diners that book restaurants via mobile were found to spend up to 37% less than desktop bookers, with an average bill of £27.63 (US$46.53) compared to £37.78. (US$63.59). However, mobile bookers were more interested in trying out new venues with 44% making first-time dining reservations.
Image via Shutterstock
- Report IDs the next big tech products
- Brands: How to prep for the subscription economy
- Expert: What Buffett's Walmart sale means
- Reports: Mobile data traffic, video trending high
- Survey finds increased interest in online car buying
- Expert: 'Likes' aren't the value of social
- Alternative methods outpace bank cards in global online payments
- Are you EU GDPR ready?
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...