News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: April disappointing for retailers
April may not be the cruelest month to most of us - after all, the cold finally broke across the Upper Midwest and spring was definitely arriving in most areas - but don't tell retailers that. According to new data out this week, April didn't bring record numbers of shoppers into stores...not even to fill those Easter baskets.
Final numbers aren't in quite yet, but look for April to be rather muddy for most retailers. That is the takeaway from new Euclid data which shows a drop in traffic to stores and in spending for the fourth month of 2014. According to their estimates, overall spending may be down about 2% (YoY).
"Looking at Easter more closely, the week preceding the holiday Sunday showed the same mixed performance as the month as a whole. Traffic was down nearly nine percent against the comparable period last year. However, engagement was significantly better than last year, with average visit duration up ten percent. Shoppers were well engaged by the seasonal merchandise, but this was likely not enough to compensate for fewer numbers," writes the company.
Some interesting takeaways from the report include:
• Shopper traffic dropped 10% YoY
• Storefront conversion increased 1% YoY
• Time spent in-store increased 7% YoY
• Repeat visits dropped 2% YoY
The best shopping day of the month was Sunday, April 6, with high customer engagement; the worst shopping day by volume was Friday, April 25.
Meanwhile, new data out from comScore indicates online shoppers weren't looking at retail outlets, either. Their most recent numbers, from March, indicate more consumers are heading to pharmacy/health sites, likely to get a jump on spring allergy season. The top 10 gaining sites for March were Health/Pharmacy sites (29% traffic increase) and Travel/Rental Cars (26% increase).
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 tips to make the most of Instagram ads
- Study: Publishers concerned about Google, Facebook, competition
- Most parents will shop offline for Halloween candy and costumes
- VR, mobile to boost game industry revenues past $100 billion by 2018
- Four tips to connect with festive shoppers
- Retailers can convert 'window shoppers' with real-time analytics
- Mobile use during dining experience researched
- Ad Roundup: Programmatic making strides
Featured White Papers
- What should drive email Frequency
eDataSource compares certain quarterly email activity and engagement metrics across four similar retailers, based on our visibility into the email...
- The Design Advantage
Design is more than just an artistic endeavor. It is a philosophy and culture that influences every business decision. Companies...