News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
One-third of Google search users fail to realize ads labeled as ads are ads
A recent study from UX firm Bunnyfoot, published by eConsultancy, reveals that more than one-third of Internet users do not realize that Google Adwords are paid-for advertising units.
Back in 2012, Bunnyfoot carried out research and found that 41% of Google search users were unaware of the difference between organic and paid links.
Today, 36% of Internet users in Bunnyfoot's survey continue to be oblivious to the fact the ads labeled ads are ads. Furthermore, 27% said they did not know that Google had any form of advertising.That's despite a number of changes Google has made to better help users identify ads. Today, it even has the word 'ad' next to all paid adverts.
According to Jon Dodd, CEO and co-founder of Bunnyfoot, Google's changes have resulted in "little difference in real-world recognition of what is an ad" on Google's search results.
"If it is truly important that people can distinguish ads from non-ads (and presumably avoiding potentially misleading consumers is important) then the current Google design has not made significant change to this," wrote Dodd on Bunnyfoot's blog. "As our hundreds of user tests over the last decade have shown, it is very difficult to predict what customers' knowledge or understanding is. The clear value of user testing can be seen with the sort of results seen above."
Image via Shutterstock
- 'Commuter Commerce' worth £9.3 billion each year
- Research uncovers ways in which Millennials 'game' e-commerce
- Study finds that 'data for discounts' consumer behavior is a fallacy
- Ad Roundup: Solutions for ads, optimization, mobile work
- Top 3 don't's for telecom customer service
- Kahuna: Brands must engage for apps to work
- Research highlights effectiveness of in-app messaging
- Facebook tests 10-second video views and monetization
Featured White Papers
- The Big Impact of Big Data on Affiliate Marketing
If you are relying on affiliate networks you have no access to vital data to manage affiliate processes such as...
- 8th Annual Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report
Download the Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report for 2015 to find out about the latest trends, industry benchmarks and best...