News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
One-third of Google search users fail to realize ads labeled as ads are ads
A recent study from UX firm Bunnyfoot, published by eConsultancy, reveals that more than one-third of Internet users do not realize that Google Adwords are paid-for advertising units.
Back in 2012, Bunnyfoot carried out research and found that 41% of Google search users were unaware of the difference between organic and paid links.
Today, 36% of Internet users in Bunnyfoot's survey continue to be oblivious to the fact the ads labeled ads are ads. Furthermore, 27% said they did not know that Google had any form of advertising.That's despite a number of changes Google has made to better help users identify ads. Today, it even has the word 'ad' next to all paid adverts.
According to Jon Dodd, CEO and co-founder of Bunnyfoot, Google's changes have resulted in "little difference in real-world recognition of what is an ad" on Google's search results.
"If it is truly important that people can distinguish ads from non-ads (and presumably avoiding potentially misleading consumers is important) then the current Google design has not made significant change to this," wrote Dodd on Bunnyfoot's blog. "As our hundreds of user tests over the last decade have shown, it is very difficult to predict what customers' knowledge or understanding is. The clear value of user testing can be seen with the sort of results seen above."
Image via Shutterstock
- The differences between American, European ads and why they matter
- Study: Online video pushing hungry people to burger chains
- Google's HTTPS ranking signal has little to no effect
- 'Huge landmark' as ecommerce mobile traffic overtakes desktop
- Happy birthday, email! Now, what can you do for me?
- Poll: Phone fraud tops $8 billion mark in America
- Webtrends: Top 3 tips to improve online bookings
- Driving website traffic revealed as retailers' biggest challenge
Featured White Papers
- Expert Panel: Brand Strategists Answer Top 5 Social Questions
During SXSW Interactive, we gathered a team of five leading brand strategists to answer the five most pressing social questions...
- The Truth About Cloud Security
"Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?...
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...