News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Just 1% of retailers' traffic originating from social media
Social media marketing isn't filling up the cash registers in the U.S., according to new figures released by the e-tailing group, but that doesn't mean that being seen in social spaces is a waste of the time and effort involved.
The e-tailing group's recently released Q1 2014 data reveals that despite the time and effort retailers spend on social media marketing, very little traffic and sales are generated as a result.
Social media marketing among omnichannel retailers in the U.S. is high. Almost all (94%) have a Facebook Page, 81% implement 'Like' buttons on product pages, 81% employ Pinterest and about the same number again post on Twitter and monitor Tweets.
However, all this effort is not translating into traffic to retailers' websites - just 1% of traffic came from social networks and media.
The result of social on sales was even smaller with 43% of retailers saying less than 1% of shoppers who arrived at their retail site via social media and networks spent money during that visit.
Ultimately, while a presence on social media may not have immediate, tangible paybacks in terms of traffic and sales, a presence on such networks does provide brands with a public voice and, increasingly, an additional and convenient channel for customer service and customer contact.
Image via Shutterstock
- Survey IDs best cities for small businesses
- Expert IDs trends to watch in mobile video
- Researchers developing a super-adblocker
- Expert: How retailers can improve tentpole events
- With rise of connected Gen Y, retailers must be fit for the future
- Gaming video content audiences exceed those of HBO and ESPN
- Apple Pay adoption and use continues to wane
- Study: Mobile becoming a loyalty draw
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...