News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Just 1% of retailers' traffic originating from social media
Social media marketing isn't filling up the cash registers in the U.S., according to new figures released by the e-tailing group, but that doesn't mean that being seen in social spaces is a waste of the time and effort involved.
The e-tailing group's recently released Q1 2014 data reveals that despite the time and effort retailers spend on social media marketing, very little traffic and sales are generated as a result.
Social media marketing among omnichannel retailers in the U.S. is high. Almost all (94%) have a Facebook Page, 81% implement 'Like' buttons on product pages, 81% employ Pinterest and about the same number again post on Twitter and monitor Tweets.
However, all this effort is not translating into traffic to retailers' websites - just 1% of traffic came from social networks and media.
The result of social on sales was even smaller with 43% of retailers saying less than 1% of shoppers who arrived at their retail site via social media and networks spent money during that visit.
Ultimately, while a presence on social media may not have immediate, tangible paybacks in terms of traffic and sales, a presence on such networks does provide brands with a public voice and, increasingly, an additional and convenient channel for customer service and customer contact.
Image via Shutterstock
- Six ways to increase the performance of your Pinterest Pins
- Personalization key to becoming a 'Best Friend Brand'
- Young mobile users annoyed by ads in apps
- Top 3 tips to harness dark social data
- Report: M:Commerce share up one-third
- Consumer engagement with mobile ads on the rise
- Android dominates smartphone market
- How to tell if social is right for your brand
Featured White Papers
- How to Create a Mobile Device Storefront
It is estimated that 55% of Americans regularly shop online at an average of 15.6 online purchases per year. However,...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
Here's why the savvy ones in the business are outsourcing their content right now (and why you should be, too)....