News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Just 1% of retailers' traffic originating from social media
Social media marketing isn't filling up the cash registers in the U.S., according to new figures released by the e-tailing group, but that doesn't mean that being seen in social spaces is a waste of the time and effort involved.
The e-tailing group's recently released Q1 2014 data reveals that despite the time and effort retailers spend on social media marketing, very little traffic and sales are generated as a result.
Social media marketing among omnichannel retailers in the U.S. is high. Almost all (94%) have a Facebook Page, 81% implement 'Like' buttons on product pages, 81% employ Pinterest and about the same number again post on Twitter and monitor Tweets.
However, all this effort is not translating into traffic to retailers' websites - just 1% of traffic came from social networks and media.
The result of social on sales was even smaller with 43% of retailers saying less than 1% of shoppers who arrived at their retail site via social media and networks spent money during that visit.
Ultimately, while a presence on social media may not have immediate, tangible paybacks in terms of traffic and sales, a presence on such networks does provide brands with a public voice and, increasingly, an additional and convenient channel for customer service and customer contact.
Image via Shutterstock
- Reports: Brands are winning back to school
- Time spent gaming on mobile drops, eSports partly to blame
- Expert: How to turn data-rich into data-action
- Expert: 3 questions to ask before outsourcing
- Top retail brands' email marketing campaigns found wanting
- Retailers must consider tech expectations of in-store consumers
- Ad Roundup: Releases for social data, site understanding
- Best practices for a solid omnichannel strategy
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...