News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Just 1% of retailers' traffic originating from social media
Social media marketing isn't filling up the cash registers in the U.S., according to new figures released by the e-tailing group, but that doesn't mean that being seen in social spaces is a waste of the time and effort involved.
The e-tailing group's recently released Q1 2014 data reveals that despite the time and effort retailers spend on social media marketing, very little traffic and sales are generated as a result.
Social media marketing among omnichannel retailers in the U.S. is high. Almost all (94%) have a Facebook Page, 81% implement 'Like' buttons on product pages, 81% employ Pinterest and about the same number again post on Twitter and monitor Tweets.
However, all this effort is not translating into traffic to retailers' websites - just 1% of traffic came from social networks and media.
The result of social on sales was even smaller with 43% of retailers saying less than 1% of shoppers who arrived at their retail site via social media and networks spent money during that visit.
Ultimately, while a presence on social media may not have immediate, tangible paybacks in terms of traffic and sales, a presence on such networks does provide brands with a public voice and, increasingly, an additional and convenient channel for customer service and customer contact.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
- Android ad blocking browser released by Adblock Plus
- How triggered emails can reduce shopping cart abandons
- How to better protect consumers' mobile privacy
- Expert: What Google buy buttons could mean for ecommerce
- Report highlights the 'mobile moments' of commuters
- Consumers keen to use new payment technology but businesses slow to adopt
- Ad Roundup: Integrations and new releases to offer more insights
Featured White Papers
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...