News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Just 1% of retailers' traffic originating from social media
Social media marketing isn't filling up the cash registers in the U.S., according to new figures released by the e-tailing group, but that doesn't mean that being seen in social spaces is a waste of the time and effort involved.
The e-tailing group's recently released Q1 2014 data reveals that despite the time and effort retailers spend on social media marketing, very little traffic and sales are generated as a result.
Social media marketing among omnichannel retailers in the U.S. is high. Almost all (94%) have a Facebook Page, 81% implement 'Like' buttons on product pages, 81% employ Pinterest and about the same number again post on Twitter and monitor Tweets.
However, all this effort is not translating into traffic to retailers' websites - just 1% of traffic came from social networks and media.
The result of social on sales was even smaller with 43% of retailers saying less than 1% of shoppers who arrived at their retail site via social media and networks spent money during that visit.
Ultimately, while a presence on social media may not have immediate, tangible paybacks in terms of traffic and sales, a presence on such networks does provide brands with a public voice and, increasingly, an additional and convenient channel for customer service and customer contact.
Image via Shutterstock
- Ad viewability levels down across Europe
- Virtual Reality: Seeing, and trying, is believing and buying
- Expert: Retail's trends to watch
- Mobile Roundup: Platforms to simplify work, personal lives
- Report: Fraud attacks up 80%
- Marketers value startups for their passion, drive, and technological prowess
- How mobile is changing retail
- ECommerce Roundup: Platforms to simplify shopper interaction
Featured White Papers
- The Ultimate Guide to Website Personalization
There is a wealth of methods to put your company's data to work; by far, personalization is one of the...