News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Instagram-style images in ads outperform glossy studio shots
Instagram-style images have been found to outperform studio-shot glossy product photos, according to new research carried out by social media agency Laundry Service.
When agency Laundry Service analyzed data from 100 million impressions, across advertising campaigns from over 15 advertisers, to compare creative using Instagram- style images with those shot in a studio, the results were quite clear. The "organic" content of the Instagram shots outperformed studio images in terms of both click-through rate and conversion to sales.
While ads using studio creative saw click-through rates of 2.35%, those using Instagram-style shots reached as high as 8%. Furthermore, ads using Instagram-style shots saw conversion rates rise by 25%.
According to Jason Stein, president and founder of Laundry Service, finding the "organic" image type found on Instagram is "the biggest challenge" for brands he works with.
"You can't shoot Instagram content in a studio because it can't be a glossy, perfectly lit product shot," Stein told Forbes. "That stuff just doesn't work on social media because it doesn't have any social context. You have to be a real person with a real point of view."
That's why Laundry Service has launched a new division - Cycle - which will "which will create and amplify Instagram content for the world's top advertisers". Over the next year, Cycle will sign up hundreds of popular Instagram creators, all selected for their "amazing content, high engagement rate, and a specific niche or style".
"Cycle helps crack Instagram for brands and agencies, providing a scalable solution to organic content and distribution," says Stein. "Content from the Cycle network will also play a crucial role in the success of marketing campaigns on other social channels, and even offline."
Image via Shutterstock
- Report IDs differences in how people use social
- Ad Roundup: Platform expansions and a partnership
- Survey: Hispanic SMBs show strong optimism
- Ad Roundup: Partnership, integration to bring brands more
- Report: Super Bowl ads drove traffic into stores
- Top tips to reduce involuntary churn
- Smart Glasses that look like regular specs will invigorate market
- Less than 1 in 5 CRM managers feel they contribute to business revenues
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...