News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Instagram-style images in ads outperform glossy studio shots
Instagram-style images have been found to outperform studio-shot glossy product photos, according to new research carried out by social media agency Laundry Service.
When agency Laundry Service analyzed data from 100 million impressions, across advertising campaigns from over 15 advertisers, to compare creative using Instagram- style images with those shot in a studio, the results were quite clear. The "organic" content of the Instagram shots outperformed studio images in terms of both click-through rate and conversion to sales.
While ads using studio creative saw click-through rates of 2.35%, those using Instagram-style shots reached as high as 8%. Furthermore, ads using Instagram-style shots saw conversion rates rise by 25%.
According to Jason Stein, president and founder of Laundry Service, finding the "organic" image type found on Instagram is "the biggest challenge" for brands he works with.
"You can't shoot Instagram content in a studio because it can't be a glossy, perfectly lit product shot," Stein told Forbes. "That stuff just doesn't work on social media because it doesn't have any social context. You have to be a real person with a real point of view."
That's why Laundry Service has launched a new division - Cycle - which will "which will create and amplify Instagram content for the world's top advertisers". Over the next year, Cycle will sign up hundreds of popular Instagram creators, all selected for their "amazing content, high engagement rate, and a specific niche or style".
"Cycle helps crack Instagram for brands and agencies, providing a scalable solution to organic content and distribution," says Stein. "Content from the Cycle network will also play a crucial role in the success of marketing campaigns on other social channels, and even offline."
Image via Shutterstock
- Study highlights consumer behavior in tablet purchase journey
- Britain leads Europe's online shopping boom
- YouGov: Mobile commerce confidence grows among consumers
- Study finds the moments ads will most likely garner attention
- Report: SMB owners optimistic about 2014 holidays
- Brands: Why you need to connect social and cross-platform marketing objectives
- 35% of U.S. online shoppers won't browse or buy from Alibaba
- Top 3 tips to create a multi-channel strategy that works
Featured White Papers
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...