News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Holiday planning starts online with search
It's not just travel deals that need to be in tip top condition as the holiday season approaches. Marketers need to ensure their digital offerings are up to scratch, too, as most U.S. travelers head online to plan their vacations.
New research from rewards-based incentives firm parago reveals that 85% of 1,200 U.S. travelers surveyed log on to research destinations, accommodation and transport for their annual holiday.
And, found parago, there are a lot of potential travelers out there - 90% of those surveyed said they take one or more personal trips each year and, of those, more than half (57%) start their trip planning by using search engines. In comparison, just 13% say they begin travel planning by visiting travel websites and a meager 2% go through a travel agent.
Furthermore, more than three-quarters (79%) say they rarely, if ever, purchase a package deal (airline and hotel) and just 6% said they purchase accommodation bundles.
So, which travel booking incentives work? For air travelers, a free checked bag was more motivating than rewards for future flights. Pre-paid cards influenced bookers of cruises, resorts and hotels. A best-price match delivered by rebate motivated 42% of travelers to book quicker.
According to Theresa Wabler, VP of Global Marketing at parago, "consumers at all income levels are hungry for travel deals, especially online. Not surprisingly, these consumers would travel more if able to find good bargains. To build loyalty with the frugal and savvy American traveler, companies would be wise to pair discounts with additional offers for more travel".
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Behavioral data influencing more shoppers
- Report: Data scientists spend bulk of time cleaning up
- Retailers: 3 ways shoppers are gaming you
- Mobile Roundup: 2 solutions in the mobile space to broaden reach
- Ad Roundup: 3 solutions to power brand engagement
- Study: 'Digital amnesia' the result of over-reliance on mobile
- New Zealand passes law criminalizing cyberbullying
- U.K.: Marketers concerned about keeping pace with marketing technology
Featured White Papers
- The Big Impact of Big Data on Affiliate Marketing
If you are relying on affiliate networks you have no access to vital data to manage affiliate processes such as...
- 8th Annual Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report
Download the Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report for 2015 to find out about the latest trends, industry benchmarks and best...