News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Holiday planning starts online with search
It's not just travel deals that need to be in tip top condition as the holiday season approaches. Marketers need to ensure their digital offerings are up to scratch, too, as most U.S. travelers head online to plan their vacations.
New research from rewards-based incentives firm parago reveals that 85% of 1,200 U.S. travelers surveyed log on to research destinations, accommodation and transport for their annual holiday.
And, found parago, there are a lot of potential travelers out there - 90% of those surveyed said they take one or more personal trips each year and, of those, more than half (57%) start their trip planning by using search engines. In comparison, just 13% say they begin travel planning by visiting travel websites and a meager 2% go through a travel agent.
Furthermore, more than three-quarters (79%) say they rarely, if ever, purchase a package deal (airline and hotel) and just 6% said they purchase accommodation bundles.
So, which travel booking incentives work? For air travelers, a free checked bag was more motivating than rewards for future flights. Pre-paid cards influenced bookers of cruises, resorts and hotels. A best-price match delivered by rebate motivated 42% of travelers to book quicker.
According to Theresa Wabler, VP of Global Marketing at parago, "consumers at all income levels are hungry for travel deals, especially online. Not surprisingly, these consumers would travel more if able to find good bargains. To build loyalty with the frugal and savvy American traveler, companies would be wise to pair discounts with additional offers for more travel".
Image via Shutterstock
- Forge relationships with consumers with gamification marketing techniques
- 50% of teens bored of Facebook as the social network loses its 'cool' factor
- Studies ID social trends for the holiday season
- Experts: Use the Hunger Games strategy to avoid spam folders
- Studies predict strong holiday shopping season
- Unruly IDs the most shared videos of 2014
- Expert: Why marketers should watch augmented reality
- Top 6 tips to set retailers up for the 2014 holidays
Featured White Papers
- 2014 Top Insights for Marketing Executives
Winning consumers over today requires building new capabilities that make brands more agile and provides deeper, more intimate knowledge of...
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....