News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google ousts Apple to be world's most valuable brand
Google has knocked Apple off the top spot in the 2014 BrandZ Top 100 Most Valuable Global Brands ranking.
A 20% decline in estimated brand value to $148 billion sees Apple fall into second place behind Google whose brand value is estimated to have increased 40% to $159 billion.
The new rankings signal an end to Apple's three year reign at the top of BrandZ's rankings due, in part, to the company's lack of new product launches and a focus on improvement rather than innovation.
"Google has been hugely innovative in the last year with Google Glass, investments in artificial intelligence and a multitude of partnerships that see its Android operating system becoming embedded in other goods such as cars," says Nick Cooper, MD of Millward Brown Optimor, the firm that conducted the BrandZ study. "All of this activity sends a very strong signal to consumers about what Google is about and it has coincided with a slowdown at Apple."
The top four rankings are all held by tech companies, with six in the top 20 (Tencent at 14 and SAP at 19). The biggest riser was yet another tech firm - Facebook - moving up 10 spots to place at 21.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 tips to improve employee productivity
- Retailers: Why you need live online assistance for the 2014 holidays
- Top 3 tips to create better transactional email messages
- Facebook enables ad targeting by connection speed
- UK: Lousy public holiday weather drives take-out food search surge
- Release makes push notifications actionable
- Early results show skipping ads improves engagement
- Top 3 tips to better personalize online campaigns
Featured White Papers
- How to Maximize, Manage, and Measure Organic Search
Organic search delivers high-quality traffic and revenue with a high contribution margin. But organic search is hard, and it's getting...
- Ready, Set, Send: Marketing Automation and the Customer Lifecycle
Much like running a marathon, building a successful marketing program takes dedication, patience, training and a lot of stamina. These...