News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google ousts Apple to be world's most valuable brand
Google has knocked Apple off the top spot in the 2014 BrandZ Top 100 Most Valuable Global Brands ranking.
A 20% decline in estimated brand value to $148 billion sees Apple fall into second place behind Google whose brand value is estimated to have increased 40% to $159 billion.
The new rankings signal an end to Apple's three year reign at the top of BrandZ's rankings due, in part, to the company's lack of new product launches and a focus on improvement rather than innovation.
"Google has been hugely innovative in the last year with Google Glass, investments in artificial intelligence and a multitude of partnerships that see its Android operating system becoming embedded in other goods such as cars," says Nick Cooper, MD of Millward Brown Optimor, the firm that conducted the BrandZ study. "All of this activity sends a very strong signal to consumers about what Google is about and it has coincided with a slowdown at Apple."
The top four rankings are all held by tech companies, with six in the top 20 (Tencent at 14 and SAP at 19). The biggest riser was yet another tech firm - Facebook - moving up 10 spots to place at 21.
Image via Shutterstock
- Pinterest introduces new search tool to attract men to the network
- Study: Dirty Data a problem for marketers
- Top 3 things consumers really want from brands
- Surveys: Why social, mobile might rule the Super Bowl
- How new data collection techniques may impact your business
- Photographs among Brits' most treasured possessions
- Restaurant tech can leave servers more time to focus on dining experience
- NRF forecasts bigger spending this Valentine's Day
Featured White Papers
- 6 Blueprints for Social Network Success
The Big 6 social networks offer tremendous marketing opportunites--and each one is very different. That's why Spredfast has assembled our...
- CRM's Dirty Little Secret: How to Avoid CRM Sticker Shock
The way companies use and pay for customer relationship management software has changed significantly over the past decade. Moving from...