News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google ousts Apple to be world's most valuable brand
Google has knocked Apple off the top spot in the 2014 BrandZ Top 100 Most Valuable Global Brands ranking.
A 20% decline in estimated brand value to $148 billion sees Apple fall into second place behind Google whose brand value is estimated to have increased 40% to $159 billion.
The new rankings signal an end to Apple's three year reign at the top of BrandZ's rankings due, in part, to the company's lack of new product launches and a focus on improvement rather than innovation.
"Google has been hugely innovative in the last year with Google Glass, investments in artificial intelligence and a multitude of partnerships that see its Android operating system becoming embedded in other goods such as cars," says Nick Cooper, MD of Millward Brown Optimor, the firm that conducted the BrandZ study. "All of this activity sends a very strong signal to consumers about what Google is about and it has coincided with a slowdown at Apple."
The top four rankings are all held by tech companies, with six in the top 20 (Tencent at 14 and SAP at 19). The biggest riser was yet another tech firm - Facebook - moving up 10 spots to place at 21.
Image via Shutterstock
- Reports: Online crucial for SMBs
- 3 trends to watch in social marketing
- Expert: How extreme stacking can benefit retailers
- Bing rejected 250 million ads in 2015
- Google reveals 180% increase in hacked websites in 2015
- 74% of UK retailers fail to follow up instances of cart abandonment
- Ad Roundup: Releases focus on data
- Survey: SMBs report good start to 2016
Featured White Papers
- 6 SEO Predictions to Plan for in 2016
To succeed in 2016, marketers must pay heed to a number of critical SEO trends, including how they go about...
- How to Boost Reader Engagement 300%
Building an audience isn't just about quantity: it's also about quality. How can you increase the number of readers who...