News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google ousts Apple to be world's most valuable brand
Google has knocked Apple off the top spot in the 2014 BrandZ Top 100 Most Valuable Global Brands ranking.
A 20% decline in estimated brand value to $148 billion sees Apple fall into second place behind Google whose brand value is estimated to have increased 40% to $159 billion.
The new rankings signal an end to Apple's three year reign at the top of BrandZ's rankings due, in part, to the company's lack of new product launches and a focus on improvement rather than innovation.
"Google has been hugely innovative in the last year with Google Glass, investments in artificial intelligence and a multitude of partnerships that see its Android operating system becoming embedded in other goods such as cars," says Nick Cooper, MD of Millward Brown Optimor, the firm that conducted the BrandZ study. "All of this activity sends a very strong signal to consumers about what Google is about and it has coincided with a slowdown at Apple."
The top four rankings are all held by tech companies, with six in the top 20 (Tencent at 14 and SAP at 19). The biggest riser was yet another tech firm - Facebook - moving up 10 spots to place at 21.
Image via Shutterstock
- Mobile Roundup: New solutions, partnerships to help mobile brands
- Expert: Non-Profits can thrive in the online space
- Mobile Roundup: Mobile wallets upping the retail ante
- Report: US, UK users vulnerable because of passwords
- Study: Images linked to email success
- Millennial Media: Video increases engagement
- UK brands fail to improve customer service response rates
- 53% of marketers crave more customer data
Featured White Papers
- Measure What Matters: Five Features to Enable Now On Google Analytics
Google Analytics is an excellent tool for gaining insights into user behavior and gathering data for site optimization. Unfortunately, in...
- A lot of what you know about email marketing could be wrong
There is a lot of email-marketing advice floating around out there. And, frankly, a lot of it is bad. Hunches...