News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Consumers want original content direct from brands, not celebrities
Consumers don't want to see celebrities parading products. Instead, they want original content directly from the brands themselves, according to the results of a new survey from SaaS content management platform WP Engine.
Two-thirds (62%) of Americans want to see brands creating their own, original content such as blogs that provide information such as tips on using a product or stories from customers.
What they don't want is anything that blatantly sells a product and nearly all (96%) are not interested in promotions in which celebrities are seen using a company's products, echoing recent search from Unruly that found celebrities don't contribute to ads going viral.
Interestingly, even with significant use of social media more than half of consumers (52%) prefer to go directly to a company website for content about a brand. Meanwhile, just 25% go to social media and 22% go to third-party articles. The type of content U.S. consumers want to see coming direct from brands includes articles on important issues (27%), research on the company's industry (16%) and funny stories (12%).
"It's never been more important for brands to stay relevant by producing their own content," said Heather Brunner, CEO of WP Engine. "Consumers demand content and the research shows that even with various outlets they can go to, consumers still want to hear directly from the brands.
Image via Shutterstock
- The differences between American, European ads and why they matter
- Study: Online video pushing hungry people to burger chains
- Google's HTTPS ranking signal has little to no effect
- 'Huge landmark' as ecommerce mobile traffic overtakes desktop
- Happy birthday, email! Now, what can you do for me?
- Poll: Phone fraud tops $8 billion mark in America
- Webtrends: Top 3 tips to improve online bookings
- Driving website traffic revealed as retailers' biggest challenge
Featured White Papers
- Expert Panel: Brand Strategists Answer Top 5 Social Questions
During SXSW Interactive, we gathered a team of five leading brand strategists to answer the five most pressing social questions...
- The Truth About Cloud Security
"Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?...
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...