News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Consumers want original content direct from brands, not celebrities
Consumers don't want to see celebrities parading products. Instead, they want original content directly from the brands themselves, according to the results of a new survey from SaaS content management platform WP Engine.
Two-thirds (62%) of Americans want to see brands creating their own, original content such as blogs that provide information such as tips on using a product or stories from customers.
What they don't want is anything that blatantly sells a product and nearly all (96%) are not interested in promotions in which celebrities are seen using a company's products, echoing recent search from Unruly that found celebrities don't contribute to ads going viral.
Interestingly, even with significant use of social media more than half of consumers (52%) prefer to go directly to a company website for content about a brand. Meanwhile, just 25% go to social media and 22% go to third-party articles. The type of content U.S. consumers want to see coming direct from brands includes articles on important issues (27%), research on the company's industry (16%) and funny stories (12%).
"It's never been more important for brands to stay relevant by producing their own content," said Heather Brunner, CEO of WP Engine. "Consumers demand content and the research shows that even with various outlets they can go to, consumers still want to hear directly from the brands.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 social trends to watch in 2015
- Why clicks will regain importance in 2015
- Security concerns cause 23% of consumers to shop less online
- Mobile and online key resource for last-minute Christmas shoppers
- Third of consumers never pay full price online
- Online cash register bells will continue ringing on Christmas Day and Boxing Day
- Experts: App usage will change in 2015
- How data will influence 2015
Featured White Papers
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- Targeting (That's on target)
"Hopeful messaging is wasted messaging. Clear targeting means more than just Who. It also demands a knowledge of How, When,...
- Leveraging Facebook to Improve ROI on Brand Sites
Rather than deserting your brand site for a Facebook Fan Page, the best digital marketing strategies incorporate a Facebook presence...