News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Consumers want original content direct from brands, not celebrities
Consumers don't want to see celebrities parading products. Instead, they want original content directly from the brands themselves, according to the results of a new survey from SaaS content management platform WP Engine.
Two-thirds (62%) of Americans want to see brands creating their own, original content such as blogs that provide information such as tips on using a product or stories from customers.
What they don't want is anything that blatantly sells a product and nearly all (96%) are not interested in promotions in which celebrities are seen using a company's products, echoing recent search from Unruly that found celebrities don't contribute to ads going viral.
Interestingly, even with significant use of social media more than half of consumers (52%) prefer to go directly to a company website for content about a brand. Meanwhile, just 25% go to social media and 22% go to third-party articles. The type of content U.S. consumers want to see coming direct from brands includes articles on important issues (27%), research on the company's industry (16%) and funny stories (12%).
"It's never been more important for brands to stay relevant by producing their own content," said Heather Brunner, CEO of WP Engine. "Consumers demand content and the research shows that even with various outlets they can go to, consumers still want to hear directly from the brands.
Image via Shutterstock
- Ecommerce Roundup: As digital increases, so does fraud
- Survey: Health Lifestyle grabs consumer interest
- Alibaba forms alliance with big brands to fight counterfeiting
- Expert: What marketers need to know about RegTech
- Mobile 'click injection' fraud forecast to become prevalent in 2017
- Less than half of consumers satisfied with retail app experience
- Study: Order struggles a problem for B2B
- Ad Roundup: Solution expansions, investments
Featured White Papers
- How to Deliver Content Your Employees Will Love to Share
Your employees are your greatest asset. It makes perfect sense that companies would double down on their own talent, empowering...