News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Consumers want original content direct from brands, not celebrities
Consumers don't want to see celebrities parading products. Instead, they want original content directly from the brands themselves, according to the results of a new survey from SaaS content management platform WP Engine.
Two-thirds (62%) of Americans want to see brands creating their own, original content such as blogs that provide information such as tips on using a product or stories from customers.
What they don't want is anything that blatantly sells a product and nearly all (96%) are not interested in promotions in which celebrities are seen using a company's products, echoing recent search from Unruly that found celebrities don't contribute to ads going viral.
Interestingly, even with significant use of social media more than half of consumers (52%) prefer to go directly to a company website for content about a brand. Meanwhile, just 25% go to social media and 22% go to third-party articles. The type of content U.S. consumers want to see coming direct from brands includes articles on important issues (27%), research on the company's industry (16%) and funny stories (12%).
"It's never been more important for brands to stay relevant by producing their own content," said Heather Brunner, CEO of WP Engine. "Consumers demand content and the research shows that even with various outlets they can go to, consumers still want to hear directly from the brands.
Image via Shutterstock
- Google adds business foot-traffic data to search
- 15% of Americans do not use the Internet
- By 2020, wearables will account for one-fifth of mobile transactions
- Brands: How to use programmatic TV buys to your advantage
- Top 3 tips that will help you use location more accurately
- Expert: How brands can ensure both worker mobility and business security
- Number of Mobile Addicts up 59% YoY
- Massive mobile ad fraud uncovered
Featured White Papers
- The Step-By-Step Guide to Building Your Custom Attribution Model
Solving the attribution problem will be one of the most important things you do to boost ROI for your organization....
- What drives Email Open Rates
eDataSource compares certain quarterly email engagement metrics across five somewhat similar retailers, based on our visibility into the email activity...