News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Consumers want original content direct from brands, not celebrities
Consumers don't want to see celebrities parading products. Instead, they want original content directly from the brands themselves, according to the results of a new survey from SaaS content management platform WP Engine.
Two-thirds (62%) of Americans want to see brands creating their own, original content such as blogs that provide information such as tips on using a product or stories from customers.
What they don't want is anything that blatantly sells a product and nearly all (96%) are not interested in promotions in which celebrities are seen using a company's products, echoing recent search from Unruly that found celebrities don't contribute to ads going viral.
Interestingly, even with significant use of social media more than half of consumers (52%) prefer to go directly to a company website for content about a brand. Meanwhile, just 25% go to social media and 22% go to third-party articles. The type of content U.S. consumers want to see coming direct from brands includes articles on important issues (27%), research on the company's industry (16%) and funny stories (12%).
"It's never been more important for brands to stay relevant by producing their own content," said Heather Brunner, CEO of WP Engine. "Consumers demand content and the research shows that even with various outlets they can go to, consumers still want to hear directly from the brands.
Image via Shutterstock
- Netflix dominates U.S. peak Internet traffic
- Omni-channel shopping putting pressure on stores to raise shopper engagement
- Big spending forecast for UK Black Friday
- Do you know why online shoppers abandon carts?
- Travel study reveals extent of travelers' frustration with poorly performing apps, websites
- Top 3 tips for effective native ad campaigns
- Top 3 email tips for the 2014 holidays
- Study: 3/4 will use phones for holiday shopping
Featured White Papers
- Definitive Guide to Marketing Metrics and Analytics
Download this 70-page, all-encompassing guide to learn the right metrics for understanding and interpreting marketing results, why measuring marketing programs...
- From Average to Elite: 7 Secrets of Today's Top Marketers
Marketing is more chaotic than ever. Pleasing multiple stakeholders, juggling random request inputs and collecting meaningful data from project teams...
- Marketing Attribution in the New World
We all know that consumers generally do not convert after seeing just one advertisement. How do we decide which campaign...