News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Big-screen smartphones cause of dropping tablet shipments
New smartphones with larger screens are contributing to the drop in forecast for global tablet shipments this year, according to new data released by research firms IDC and NPD DisplaySearch.
According to IDC analyst Tom Mainelli, phablets are enabling consumers to conduct tasks they would normally reserve for tablets. Hence, IDC has revised their global tablet shipment forecast for 2014 down from 260.9 million to 245.4 million. Instead of last year's 51% YoY growth, 2014's will amount to just 12%.
As well as making do with their slightly smaller but adequate sized smartphone screens, consumers are also holding on to their existing tablets rather than replacing them. And, when the time comes to replace a tablet, those devices are often given to others who might otherwise have purchased a new one, usually a family member.
NPD analyst, Richard Shim, notes a similar situation in a recent blog post in which he reveals that worldwide tablet shipments of 56.3 million units in the first quarter of 2014 was 4.6% down YoY.
"The first quarter has tended to have the weakest shipment volumes of the year as the market comes down following the fourth quarter, when holiday shipments lead to the highest purchasing period of the year," writes Shim. "Still, there has always been growth in tablet PCs, as new models have been released or growth in emerging regions picked up the market; not this time, however."
Again, Shim relates the drop in popularity of tablets to increasingly larger screens on smartphones.
Image via Shutterstock
- Ecomm Roundup: Faster checkouts and better personalization
- Top 3 tips to use data better this holiday season
- Microbusinesses dipping into personal savings
- How dark social can impact brand
- Webrooming parents heading to physical stores for back-to-school purchases
- 43% of all traffic to travel websites now comes from mobile
- Survey: Gamers don't want interruptions
- Reports: Back to school stressing parents
Featured White Papers
- What Sales Should REALLY Expect from Marketing Automation
In this Deep Dive we will explore what sales leaders should actually be demanding from marketing automation tools. In fact,...
- Learn the True Importance of Global Brand Management
Effective branding has always been an important part of business and is an especially important component of the customer experience,...
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...