News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Big-screen smartphones cause of dropping tablet shipments
New smartphones with larger screens are contributing to the drop in forecast for global tablet shipments this year, according to new data released by research firms IDC and NPD DisplaySearch.
According to IDC analyst Tom Mainelli, phablets are enabling consumers to conduct tasks they would normally reserve for tablets. Hence, IDC has revised their global tablet shipment forecast for 2014 down from 260.9 million to 245.4 million. Instead of last year's 51% YoY growth, 2014's will amount to just 12%.
As well as making do with their slightly smaller but adequate sized smartphone screens, consumers are also holding on to their existing tablets rather than replacing them. And, when the time comes to replace a tablet, those devices are often given to others who might otherwise have purchased a new one, usually a family member.
NPD analyst, Richard Shim, notes a similar situation in a recent blog post in which he reveals that worldwide tablet shipments of 56.3 million units in the first quarter of 2014 was 4.6% down YoY.
"The first quarter has tended to have the weakest shipment volumes of the year as the market comes down following the fourth quarter, when holiday shipments lead to the highest purchasing period of the year," writes Shim. "Still, there has always been growth in tablet PCs, as new models have been released or growth in emerging regions picked up the market; not this time, however."
Again, Shim relates the drop in popularity of tablets to increasingly larger screens on smartphones.
Image via Shutterstock
- Ad Roundup: Mobile video and retargeting solutions
- Forecast: 27% of holiday buys could be 'lost' to abandoned carts
- Multitasking activity during TV viewing has little to do with the show being watched
- 65% of shoppers still rely on visits to physical stores during online shopping journey
- Internet ad revenues hit landmark high in first half of 2014
- Report: Product placements can recoup commercial losses
- Study highlights consumer behavior in tablet purchase journey
- Britain leads Europe's online shopping boom
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...