News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Twitter extends Pinned Tweets to selected high-profile Tweeters
Facebook has long provided Page and Group owners with the ability to 'pin' a post to the top of a newsfeed, and now Twitter is providing such a feature for a select number of high-profile Tweeters
A feature that has been available to Twitter's partnership members for around a year is to be rolled out to a select group of users for free. The 'pinned Tweets' feature will be made available to a limited number of celebrities and other high-profile users such as artists and politicians free of charge.
The move will enable those selected to use the feature to 'pin' a single Tweet at the top of their profiles. That pinned Tweet will be identified as 'promoted'. The pinned Tweet will not be shown to users of the Twitter app or TweetDeck as it only appears on the browser version of the social platform.
Pinning a Tweet with an image could help to boost engagement. Recent research by Twitter data scientist Douglas Mason found that adding photos, a hashtag, video or a quote greatly enhances the chances of a Tweet being Retweeted. Tweets with a photo attached averaged 35% more Retweets than those without and those with video were boosted by 28%.
"The fact is, people don't engage equally with every Tweet," says Twitter's data editor Simon Rogers. "But now we can confirm that adding video, links and photos all result in an impressive boost in the number of Retweets."
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 challenges facing retailers and how to solve them
- How to get past personas and into consumers' interests
- European Commission forces Google, Apple to make users aware of 'true cost' of an app
- Top 3 tips to improve seasonal marketing plans
- Research: Social media users less likely to post positively about their favorite products
- Twitter preps for new generation of commerce experiences
- iBeacon firm offers free hardware and installation to UK retailers
- Swrve: Report reveals one third of apps get only one minute of attention
Featured White Papers
- Everything You Need to Know About Social Media for Your Business
While social media practitioners must continue to expect and adapt to change, it is important to take note of the...