News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Time spent watching TV content on YouTube up 65%
New research shows that television viewers have begun spending more time interacting with television-related content on YouTube, rising 65% year-on-year.
In Google's research, 'The Role of Digital TV Research, Fanship and Viewing', it is shown that the time spent on YouTube watching television-related content has increased 65% year-on-year and search related to television on YouTube is up 54% year-on-year.
Perhaps the main driver behind this upturn is the rise in second-screen viewing - watching or searching for content on mobile devices while watching television. Smartphone and tablet search volumes for television-related content has more than doubled in the last 12 months.
Google's study also reveals that many (70%) use YouTube to catch up with previous episodes of a show prior to the start of a new season. Searches relating to catching up with a show were up 50% on Google compared to last year.
Furthermore, subscribers to the official YouTube channels of television networks rose 69% during 2013.
Not only are members of the YouTube community watching more television content online, they are creating more, too. According to the report, for every Game of Thrones video uploaded by HBO, 82 are created and uploaded by the YouTube community and for every Vampire Diaries video 69 are uploaded.
The report rundown states that, "as networks and streaming providers create new ways for viewers to access programming outside the traditional viewing window, they're creating the opportunity for new viewership as well. Understanding the patterns of how and when viewers are researching catch-up options is important in recognizing key moments of tune-in engagement".
Image via Shutterstock
- What Twitter's roll-out of Periscope ads means for digital brands
- Ad Roundup: Tools to connect shoppers
- Top 3 tips for B2B brands to harness purchasing power
- Channel 4 video-on-demand ads address viewer by name
- IAB: 2016 Internet ad spend breaks records
- Marketers say their role is to collect, not analyze, customer data
- Two-thirds of US, UK consumers worried about how brands use personal data
- Study: Marketers overwhelmed with data
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...