News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Time spent watching TV content on YouTube up 65%
New research shows that television viewers have begun spending more time interacting with television-related content on YouTube, rising 65% year-on-year.
In Google's research, 'The Role of Digital TV Research, Fanship and Viewing', it is shown that the time spent on YouTube watching television-related content has increased 65% year-on-year and search related to television on YouTube is up 54% year-on-year.
Perhaps the main driver behind this upturn is the rise in second-screen viewing - watching or searching for content on mobile devices while watching television. Smartphone and tablet search volumes for television-related content has more than doubled in the last 12 months.
Google's study also reveals that many (70%) use YouTube to catch up with previous episodes of a show prior to the start of a new season. Searches relating to catching up with a show were up 50% on Google compared to last year.
Furthermore, subscribers to the official YouTube channels of television networks rose 69% during 2013.
Not only are members of the YouTube community watching more television content online, they are creating more, too. According to the report, for every Game of Thrones video uploaded by HBO, 82 are created and uploaded by the YouTube community and for every Vampire Diaries video 69 are uploaded.
The report rundown states that, "as networks and streaming providers create new ways for viewers to access programming outside the traditional viewing window, they're creating the opportunity for new viewership as well. Understanding the patterns of how and when viewers are researching catch-up options is important in recognizing key moments of tune-in engagement".
Image via Shutterstock
- How travel brands can do more with data
- Expert: What retailers need to know about EMV
- Study: Utility apps take most of ad spend
- Holidaymakers swindled out of £2.2 million in 2014
- Brits warming to biometric technology for online banking access
- Banks missing out by focusing mobile banking ads on television
- Top 3 tips to add personality to your targeting
- Will 2015 be The Year of Mobile?
Featured White Papers
- Analyzing the Value of Responsive Design Can Be Messy
Responsive web design is an integral part of customer engagement in our multi-device world. But the additional costs and resources...
- Mobile Email Guide: Design strategies to help you capture mobile clicks
On average, about 40 percent of e-mail opens come from mobile devices and tablets. Mobile subscribers are less engaged because...
- Avoid these common pitfalls when choosing a cloud CRM
Organizations are frequently turning to SaaS solutions for their CRM needs. But there are risks when deploying any solution at...
- 2015 Social Marketing Planning Guide
2015 is going to be a great year for social marketers, but to make the most of it you'll need...