News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Time spent watching TV content on YouTube up 65%
New research shows that television viewers have begun spending more time interacting with television-related content on YouTube, rising 65% year-on-year.
In Google's research, 'The Role of Digital TV Research, Fanship and Viewing', it is shown that the time spent on YouTube watching television-related content has increased 65% year-on-year and search related to television on YouTube is up 54% year-on-year.
Perhaps the main driver behind this upturn is the rise in second-screen viewing - watching or searching for content on mobile devices while watching television. Smartphone and tablet search volumes for television-related content has more than doubled in the last 12 months.
Google's study also reveals that many (70%) use YouTube to catch up with previous episodes of a show prior to the start of a new season. Searches relating to catching up with a show were up 50% on Google compared to last year.
Furthermore, subscribers to the official YouTube channels of television networks rose 69% during 2013.
Not only are members of the YouTube community watching more television content online, they are creating more, too. According to the report, for every Game of Thrones video uploaded by HBO, 82 are created and uploaded by the YouTube community and for every Vampire Diaries video 69 are uploaded.
The report rundown states that, "as networks and streaming providers create new ways for viewers to access programming outside the traditional viewing window, they're creating the opportunity for new viewership as well. Understanding the patterns of how and when viewers are researching catch-up options is important in recognizing key moments of tune-in engagement".
Image via Shutterstock
- Webrooming parents heading to physical stores for back-to-school purchases
- 43% of all traffic to travel websites now comes from mobile
- Survey: Gamers don't want interruptions
- Reports: Back to school stressing parents
- How to measure engagement to reach a deeper customer relationship
- Survey: Amazon influencing back to school shoppers
- Hilton gives guests greater control with significant app upgrade
- Top 3 tips for better channel optimization
Featured White Papers
- What Sales Should REALLY Expect from Marketing Automation
In this Deep Dive we will explore what sales leaders should actually be demanding from marketing automation tools. In fact,...
- Learn the True Importance of Global Brand Management
Effective branding has always been an important part of business and is an especially important component of the customer experience,...
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...