News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Television promotions for new shows continue to outperform social media
While social media may be becoming an increasingly important part of watching television, traditional television promotions continue to be more effective than social media in the decision of which new show to watch, according to the findings of a Council for Research Excellence study.
One in six television viewers now use social media during prime time and half of their social media usage is related to what they are watching on television.
However, when it comes to what drives television viewers to check out new shows, it is television that piques their interest. Just 6.8% of television viewers were prompted to view a new show after seeing something on social media, compared with almost 40% prompted by a show promotion on television.
In the case of returning shows television promotions also outstripped social with 9% saying they had seen a promotion or commercial for a returning show on television versus 3.3% who had seen a show's return on social media.
However, according to the research, "social media is twice as effective for attracting viewers to new shows (6.8%) as returning shows (3.3%) and that social media usage peaks around show premieres."
"Social media definitely has become established as a 'second-screen' for a select group of viewers," said Beth Rockwood, senior VP of market resources, Discovery Communications and chair of the CRE Social Media Committee in a statement. "Social marketing seems effective in generating conversation around new season premieres, particularly with certain genres of programming."
The study 'Talking Social TV 2' is a follow-up to the Council for Research Excellence's 2013 'Talking Social TV' study.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...