News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Television promotions for new shows continue to outperform social media
While social media may be becoming an increasingly important part of watching television, traditional television promotions continue to be more effective than social media in the decision of which new show to watch, according to the findings of a Council for Research Excellence study.
One in six television viewers now use social media during prime time and half of their social media usage is related to what they are watching on television.
However, when it comes to what drives television viewers to check out new shows, it is television that piques their interest. Just 6.8% of television viewers were prompted to view a new show after seeing something on social media, compared with almost 40% prompted by a show promotion on television.
In the case of returning shows television promotions also outstripped social with 9% saying they had seen a promotion or commercial for a returning show on television versus 3.3% who had seen a show's return on social media.
However, according to the research, "social media is twice as effective for attracting viewers to new shows (6.8%) as returning shows (3.3%) and that social media usage peaks around show premieres."
"Social media definitely has become established as a 'second-screen' for a select group of viewers," said Beth Rockwood, senior VP of market resources, Discovery Communications and chair of the CRE Social Media Committee in a statement. "Social marketing seems effective in generating conversation around new season premieres, particularly with certain genres of programming."
The study 'Talking Social TV 2' is a follow-up to the Council for Research Excellence's 2013 'Talking Social TV' study.
Image via Shutterstock
- Report: Online communities growing in importance
- Survey: Consumers want to share product details with friends
- PageFair: Adblocking Goes Mainstream
- Study: SMB's pushing the social media spend
- Report: BOPIS hot for the holidays
- Apps are asking users for too much personal data and providing too little privacy information
- Facebook statuses - now you see them, now you don't
- Expert: SMBs banking on themselves
Featured White Papers
- Why the Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
Do you want to see why marketers are outsourcing their writing? Read this white paper to learn how external writers...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...
- The Social Hunger: Why Your Audience Feasts on Social Integration
For the past few years, marketers have 'woken up' to consumers who have the power to express their views anytime...
- The 8 Critical Metrics for Measuring App User Engagement
Measuring and optimizing for the right engagement metrics is the key to attaining and keeping users. Whether your business model...