News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Television promotions for new shows continue to outperform social media
While social media may be becoming an increasingly important part of watching television, traditional television promotions continue to be more effective than social media in the decision of which new show to watch, according to the findings of a Council for Research Excellence study.
One in six television viewers now use social media during prime time and half of their social media usage is related to what they are watching on television.
However, when it comes to what drives television viewers to check out new shows, it is television that piques their interest. Just 6.8% of television viewers were prompted to view a new show after seeing something on social media, compared with almost 40% prompted by a show promotion on television.
In the case of returning shows television promotions also outstripped social with 9% saying they had seen a promotion or commercial for a returning show on television versus 3.3% who had seen a show's return on social media.
However, according to the research, "social media is twice as effective for attracting viewers to new shows (6.8%) as returning shows (3.3%) and that social media usage peaks around show premieres."
"Social media definitely has become established as a 'second-screen' for a select group of viewers," said Beth Rockwood, senior VP of market resources, Discovery Communications and chair of the CRE Social Media Committee in a statement. "Social marketing seems effective in generating conversation around new season premieres, particularly with certain genres of programming."
The study 'Talking Social TV 2' is a follow-up to the Council for Research Excellence's 2013 'Talking Social TV' study.
Image via Shutterstock
- Ad Roundup: Releases for content monetization
- In ecommerce, personalization missing the mark
- Product imagery on retailers' mobile sites lags desktop versions
- Why the press release is (still) not dead
- Expert: Why B2Bers need social
- Is your branded content memorable?
- Study: Most believe personalization key to success
- Report: Most Amazon sellers looking for new marketplaces
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...