News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Television promotions for new shows continue to outperform social media
While social media may be becoming an increasingly important part of watching television, traditional television promotions continue to be more effective than social media in the decision of which new show to watch, according to the findings of a Council for Research Excellence study.
One in six television viewers now use social media during prime time and half of their social media usage is related to what they are watching on television.
However, when it comes to what drives television viewers to check out new shows, it is television that piques their interest. Just 6.8% of television viewers were prompted to view a new show after seeing something on social media, compared with almost 40% prompted by a show promotion on television.
In the case of returning shows television promotions also outstripped social with 9% saying they had seen a promotion or commercial for a returning show on television versus 3.3% who had seen a show's return on social media.
However, according to the research, "social media is twice as effective for attracting viewers to new shows (6.8%) as returning shows (3.3%) and that social media usage peaks around show premieres."
"Social media definitely has become established as a 'second-screen' for a select group of viewers," said Beth Rockwood, senior VP of market resources, Discovery Communications and chair of the CRE Social Media Committee in a statement. "Social marketing seems effective in generating conversation around new season premieres, particularly with certain genres of programming."
The study 'Talking Social TV 2' is a follow-up to the Council for Research Excellence's 2013 'Talking Social TV' study.
Image via Shutterstock
- Reports: Strong start to holiday season
- Expert: What will drive mobile in 2016
- More than half of consumers would pay for better customer care from preferred brands
- UK mobile email open rates at highest ever but conversions in decline
- More than three-quarters of all Black Friday mobile orders made on an Apple device
- Brands: How to better use reviews for your business
- How to keep customers loyal through the holidays
- 50% of Millennials will do most of their holiday shopping on Black Friday, Cyber Monday
Featured White Papers
- Statistics for Online Experiments: How to Think and Act Like a Statistician
Statistics are the underpinning of how Optimizely's customers use data to make decisions. To run great experiments, investing in an...
- Lean Content Marketing
Content is king. If you're a modern marketer, you know why--it is the fuel for your lead generation and nurturing...