News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Teens turning to instant messaging but Facebook still dominant
A new GlobalWebIndex survey reveals that teens are shifting from traditional social networking sites and behavior towards more instant communication methods such as messaging apps.
In their survey of 170,000 teenagers across 32 countries, GlobalWebIndex reveals that these digital natives are turning away from the likes of Facebook towards more private forms of communication.
Between the third and fourth quarter of 2013, Facebook saw a 9% drop in active teenage users, Twitter dropped 3% and YouTube fell 7%.
Instead, teens are turning to mobile messaging services. Snapchat and Kik Messenger were the services with the biggest boosts to their user-base rising 60% and 59% respectively. However, Facebook Messenger does remain the number one mobile messaging app used by 25% of teens compared with WhatsApp and WeChat, both of which command 20% of teens on a global level.
However, despite teens shifting their attention from Facebook, the traditional networking site remains the most popular in all global regions surveyed.
According to Jason Mander, head of trends at GlobalWebIndex, Facebook "can boast the most members, the most active users and the most frequent visitors. The scale of its decline has also slowed in the last six months; following a heavier fall at the start of 2013, its estimated audience size between Q2 and Q4 dipped by 3%".
Image via Shutterstock
- Mobile Roundup: Mobile wallets upping the retail ante
- Report: US, UK users vulnerable because of passwords
- Study: Images linked to email success
- Millennial Media: Video increases engagement
- UK brands fail to improve customer service response rates
- 53% of marketers crave more customer data
- Mother's Day: Flowers a popular gift, but Mom wants tech
- UK: Online spending and deliveries break records
Featured White Papers
- Measure What Matters: Five Features to Enable Now On Google Analytics
Google Analytics is an excellent tool for gaining insights into user behavior and gathering data for site optimization. Unfortunately, in...
- A lot of what you know about email marketing could be wrong
There is a lot of email-marketing advice floating around out there. And, frankly, a lot of it is bad. Hunches...