News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Teens turning to instant messaging but Facebook still dominant
A new GlobalWebIndex survey reveals that teens are shifting from traditional social networking sites and behavior towards more instant communication methods such as messaging apps.
In their survey of 170,000 teenagers across 32 countries, GlobalWebIndex reveals that these digital natives are turning away from the likes of Facebook towards more private forms of communication.
Between the third and fourth quarter of 2013, Facebook saw a 9% drop in active teenage users, Twitter dropped 3% and YouTube fell 7%.
Instead, teens are turning to mobile messaging services. Snapchat and Kik Messenger were the services with the biggest boosts to their user-base rising 60% and 59% respectively. However, Facebook Messenger does remain the number one mobile messaging app used by 25% of teens compared with WhatsApp and WeChat, both of which command 20% of teens on a global level.
However, despite teens shifting their attention from Facebook, the traditional networking site remains the most popular in all global regions surveyed.
According to Jason Mander, head of trends at GlobalWebIndex, Facebook "can boast the most members, the most active users and the most frequent visitors. The scale of its decline has also slowed in the last six months; following a heavier fall at the start of 2013, its estimated audience size between Q2 and Q4 dipped by 3%".
Image via Shutterstock
- Brands: How to better use reviews for your business
- How to keep customers loyal through the holidays
- 50% of Millennials will do most of their holiday shopping on Black Friday, Cyber Monday
- Consumers expect shopping experience to be revolutionized by wearable tech
- Highest online parcel volume recorded in October 2015
- How to convince wary app users to share location data
- How to protect against fake reviews
- 3 IT trends to watch in 2016
Featured White Papers
- Statistics for Online Experiments: How to Think and Act Like a Statistician
Statistics are the underpinning of how Optimizely's customers use data to make decisions. To run great experiments, investing in an...
- Lean Content Marketing
Content is king. If you're a modern marketer, you know why--it is the fuel for your lead generation and nurturing...