News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Teens turning to instant messaging but Facebook still dominant
A new GlobalWebIndex survey reveals that teens are shifting from traditional social networking sites and behavior towards more instant communication methods such as messaging apps.
In their survey of 170,000 teenagers across 32 countries, GlobalWebIndex reveals that these digital natives are turning away from the likes of Facebook towards more private forms of communication.
Between the third and fourth quarter of 2013, Facebook saw a 9% drop in active teenage users, Twitter dropped 3% and YouTube fell 7%.
Instead, teens are turning to mobile messaging services. Snapchat and Kik Messenger were the services with the biggest boosts to their user-base rising 60% and 59% respectively. However, Facebook Messenger does remain the number one mobile messaging app used by 25% of teens compared with WhatsApp and WeChat, both of which command 20% of teens on a global level.
However, despite teens shifting their attention from Facebook, the traditional networking site remains the most popular in all global regions surveyed.
According to Jason Mander, head of trends at GlobalWebIndex, Facebook "can boast the most members, the most active users and the most frequent visitors. The scale of its decline has also slowed in the last six months; following a heavier fall at the start of 2013, its estimated audience size between Q2 and Q4 dipped by 3%".
Image via Shutterstock
- Time spent gaming on mobile drops, eSports partly to blame
- Expert: How to turn data-rich into data-action
- Expert: 3 questions to ask before outsourcing
- Top retail brands' email marketing campaigns found wanting
- Retailers must consider tech expectations of in-store consumers
- Ad Roundup: Releases for social data, site understanding
- Best practices for a solid omnichannel strategy
- Five-fold YoY growth in contactless payment use in UK
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...