News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Teens turning to instant messaging but Facebook still dominant
A new GlobalWebIndex survey reveals that teens are shifting from traditional social networking sites and behavior towards more instant communication methods such as messaging apps.
In their survey of 170,000 teenagers across 32 countries, GlobalWebIndex reveals that these digital natives are turning away from the likes of Facebook towards more private forms of communication.
Between the third and fourth quarter of 2013, Facebook saw a 9% drop in active teenage users, Twitter dropped 3% and YouTube fell 7%.
Instead, teens are turning to mobile messaging services. Snapchat and Kik Messenger were the services with the biggest boosts to their user-base rising 60% and 59% respectively. However, Facebook Messenger does remain the number one mobile messaging app used by 25% of teens compared with WhatsApp and WeChat, both of which command 20% of teens on a global level.
However, despite teens shifting their attention from Facebook, the traditional networking site remains the most popular in all global regions surveyed.
According to Jason Mander, head of trends at GlobalWebIndex, Facebook "can boast the most members, the most active users and the most frequent visitors. The scale of its decline has also slowed in the last six months; following a heavier fall at the start of 2013, its estimated audience size between Q2 and Q4 dipped by 3%".
Image via Shutterstock
- Personal data: Lack of trust could hinder business growth
- 'Digiboomers' neglected by marketers
- UK: Pureplay online sales will exceed multichannel retailers' this year
- Report: Brands need to up their content focus
- Report shows shoppers want retail everywhere
- Report: Cash still top American payment method
- SMBs: How to remain visible during the election push
- Brands: How to prepare for a non-Flash environment
Featured White Papers
- Marketing Nation Online - The Next Era
Ready for the year's most innovative online conference for marketers? Join us on Wednesday, September 2nd from 9:30am - 1:00pm...