News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Survey: SMB's need more tax education
Small business owners may not be making the most of Tax Day here in the US. That is, according to a recent 99Designs survey which found upwards of one-quarter didn't know they could deduct marketing expenses from their taxes.
New data out from 99Designs may have more small businesses taking a look at their tax forms. According to the report 27% of SMBs surveyed didn't know they could write off marketing expenses from their taxes; meanwhile about half (57%) of those who were aware they could write off marketing expenses said they would take the deductions.
Other interesting findings from the report include:
• 70% say they believe their marketing spending for 2013 had good results, 23% say they aren't sure
• Most SMBs said they focused on improving websites and social media efforts
• 64% of those who will take marketing deductions say the deductions for 2012 and 2013 are very much alike, 22% say they'll deduct more in 2013
As for how small businesses would spend tax deductions of $500 - revamped websites and mobile apps led the way, along with online ad campaigns.
"Finally, we asked business owners what they'd do if they received a $500 refund to put toward a single marketing channel. One-third (33%) would put the money into their websites, 17% would focus on Internet advertising, 14% would go the mobile app route, and 10% would funnel it to print ad campaigns," writes the company.
Image via Shutterstock
- H1 2016's most-used and most-downloaded apps
- Gen Z's in-store expectations - the next challenge for retailers
- Brands: Why revenue based loyalty programs are a better draw
- Retail Roundup: Coupons key for all shoppers
- Study: In-game ads pushing engagement
- Expert: Why branded content appeals to consumers
- Reports: M:Comm up, privacy concerns abound
- Expert: What Pokemon Go phenomena means for businesses
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Principles of Engagement Marketing
In this ebook, we define each of those five principles, and show you what an engagement marketing strategy truly looks...