News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Shared content can increase spending by 10%
We know consumers in the social space like to share funny memes and even sale information. But is there a value to this kind of sharing? Yes, according to the new Return on Sharing Study from Beresford Research and ShareThis. That value? About 10%.
There is new data that is placing a value of nearly 10% of social shared online content. According to researchers with socially shared content is now more of an influence to shoppers than either price or brand. What's more, socially shared content can result in a 9.5% spending increase.
"There's no question consumers are actively looking online for recommendations and content to help them decide what to buy," said Kurt Abrahamson, CEO of ShareThis. "We've all known that social sharing is important, but it's been difficult to measure its impact on consumer spending -- until now. For the first time, this report offers a guide for brands to determine the value of social content, and to make informed decisions about where and how they need to invest to engage their customers."
"We are seeing a fundamental shift in consumer purchasing behavior," said Lisa Weinstein, President, Global Digital, Data and Analytics at Starcom MediaVest Group. "The explosion of social content like recommendations is having a real impact in people's day-to-day lives, including what we buy and how much we are willing to pay. While we've known intrinsically that online engagement is important, being able to quantify the monetary value of online recommendations and sharing, as these findings do, is incredibly important for brands."
Some interesting takeaways from the report include:
• Recommendations are more important to shoppers than price or brand
• Shoppers may spend more for 'positively recommended' products
• Negative recommendations decrease shoppers spending
• Online sharing of content outperforms both reviews and recommendations
The full results will be presented today at The Paley Center for Media
Image via Shutterstock
- Report IDs differences in how people use social
- Ad Roundup: Platform expansions and a partnership
- Survey: Hispanic SMBs show strong optimism
- Ad Roundup: Partnership, integration to bring brands more
- Report: Super Bowl ads drove traffic into stores
- Top tips to reduce involuntary churn
- Smart Glasses that look like regular specs will invigorate market
- Less than 1 in 5 CRM managers feel they contribute to business revenues
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...