News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study finds shift from acquisition to engagement
There is a shift occurring in the small business space: that of acquisition to engagement. According to new data out from Manta and BIA/Kelsey Group, SMBs are spending more to engage existing customers than to bring new customers into their business - because repeat customers are spending more with them.
"Our joint research shows that customer loyalty programs are starting to gain traction in the small business community," said Jed Williams, BIA/Kelsey's vice president of strategic consulting. "This finding aligns with BIA/Kelsey's analysis that over half of small businesses will launch customer loyalty programs by the end of 2014 to help their businesses become more competitive."
Some interesting takeaways from the report include:
• Half of SMBs rely on paper-based or WOM loyalty programs
• 66% of SMBs don't have a loyalty program
• 61% say half their revenue is from repeat customers
• Repeat customers spend 67% more than first-time buyers
What can SMBs do to better engage existing customers? Build a good loyalty/rewards program, say the experts. Offering percentage off deals or rewarding members for making purchases will keep them coming back - the key, of course, is to build a loyalty program that fits the customer.
Manta's experts say determining the audience and building a program around specific groups within that audience is one way to not only drive traffic but purchases because you're rewarding their behavior. The next step is to define the goals of the overall program, and don't make the goal to make more money because that is too broad. Create goals like increasing order size or decreasing customer churn so that you can have a specific strategy in place.
Image via Shutterstock
- Marketers say their role is to collect, not analyze, customer data
- Two-thirds of US, UK consumers worried about how brands use personal data
- Study: Marketers overwhelmed with data
- Top 3 tips for a more earth friendly marketing campaign
- Local Brands: Why SEO needs an upgrade
- Ad Roundup: Releases for content monetization
- In ecommerce, personalization missing the mark
- Product imagery on retailers' mobile sites lags desktop versions
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...