News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
NSA snooping prompts consumer caution in online banking and shopping
Consumers are treading cautiously online. Not only are they doing less online banking, some are even reducing the amount they use email, according to a new survey conducted by Harris Interactive for data security firm ESET.
Almost half of the 2,000 U.S. adults surveyed (47%) said they were more cautious of online activity - particularly in what they say, do and the sites they visit. The survey is released just as Director of National Intelligence, James Clapper, admits that Americans' emails continue to be searched.
Furthermore, across all age groups, more than a quarter said they were conducting less banking activity online and 24% were less inclined to use email.
More worrying still for ecommerce, 26% have decreased the amount of shopping they do online, compared to 14% last year.The likelihood of caution rises among younger age group with a third saying they are shopping less online.
According to Stephen Cobb, senior security researcher at ESET, writing on the company blog, over a quarter of respondents (26%) had changed their behavior based on recent revelations about the National Security Agency's snooping. This change in consumer behavior, says Cobb, "translates into a worrying trend for the online economy" and is "not good news for companies that rely on sustained or increased use of the Internet for their business model".
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Smartphone viewers more likely to click
- Ad Roundup: Releases for social data, site understanding
- Best practices for a solid omnichannel strategy
- Five-fold YoY growth in contactless payment use in UK
- Marketing spend on social to rise from 11% to a quarter of budget
- Checking email chews up 6.3 hours per day
- Study: Content, page loads reduce brand trust
- Study: Personalization key for email engagement
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...