News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Nearly half of gamers are women
The image of gaming is changing when it comes to gender. Long gone is the stereotypical image of a teenage boy holed up in a darkened bedroom as the number of women increases to almost half of all U.S. gamers.
According to the Entertainment Software Association's latest Essential Facts, almost half (48%) of U.S. gamers are female - the closest the genders have ever come to parity.
Only a few years ago - 2006 and 2007 - men made up the majority of gamers (62%).
Furthermore, women over the age of 18 make up more than a third (36%) of the gamer population - that's double the 17% of the market that is made up of boys under the age of 18.
So what does a gamer look like in 2014? According to the Entertainment Software Association's latest data:
- Gamers have an average age of 31;
- Gamers been playing games for an average of 14 years;
- 71% are age 18 or older;
- 62% play games with others, either in-person or online;
- 53% play games on their smartphones;
- 41% play on their wireless device;
- 59% of Americans play video games with an average of two gamers per household.
Image via Shutterstock
- How travel brands can do more with data
- Expert: What retailers need to know about EMV
- Study: Utility apps take most of ad spend
- Holidaymakers swindled out of £2.2 million in 2014
- Brits warming to biometric technology for online banking access
- Banks missing out by focusing mobile banking ads on television
- Top 3 tips to add personality to your targeting
- Will 2015 be The Year of Mobile?
Featured White Papers
- Analyzing the Value of Responsive Design Can Be Messy
Responsive web design is an integral part of customer engagement in our multi-device world. But the additional costs and resources...
- Mobile Email Guide: Design strategies to help you capture mobile clicks
On average, about 40 percent of e-mail opens come from mobile devices and tablets. Mobile subscribers are less engaged because...
- Avoid these common pitfalls when choosing a cloud CRM
Organizations are frequently turning to SaaS solutions for their CRM needs. But there are risks when deploying any solution at...
- 2015 Social Marketing Planning Guide
2015 is going to be a great year for social marketers, but to make the most of it you'll need...