News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Nearly half of gamers are women
The image of gaming is changing when it comes to gender. Long gone is the stereotypical image of a teenage boy holed up in a darkened bedroom as the number of women increases to almost half of all U.S. gamers.
According to the Entertainment Software Association's latest Essential Facts, almost half (48%) of U.S. gamers are female - the closest the genders have ever come to parity.
Only a few years ago - 2006 and 2007 - men made up the majority of gamers (62%).
Furthermore, women over the age of 18 make up more than a third (36%) of the gamer population - that's double the 17% of the market that is made up of boys under the age of 18.
So what does a gamer look like in 2014? According to the Entertainment Software Association's latest data:
- Gamers have an average age of 31;
- Gamers been playing games for an average of 14 years;
- 71% are age 18 or older;
- 62% play games with others, either in-person or online;
- 53% play games on their smartphones;
- 41% play on their wireless device;
- 59% of Americans play video games with an average of two gamers per household.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 tips for effective native ad campaigns
- Top 3 email tips for the 2014 holidays
- Study: 3/4 will use phones for holiday shopping
- Studies: Shoppers want connection
- Brands: What to prep now for Thanksgiving Weekend
- Would your website earn Google's mobile-friendly label?
- Third of UK online retailers are not ready for the Christmas rush
- Study: Consumers find driving need to be always on
Featured White Papers
- Definitive Guide to Marketing Metrics and Analytics
Download this 70-page, all-encompassing guide to learn the right metrics for understanding and interpreting marketing results, why measuring marketing programs...
- From Average to Elite: 7 Secrets of Today's Top Marketers
Marketing is more chaotic than ever. Pleasing multiple stakeholders, juggling random request inputs and collecting meaningful data from project teams...
- Marketing Attribution in the New World
We all know that consumers generally do not convert after seeing just one advertisement. How do we decide which campaign...