News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Nearly half of gamers are women
The image of gaming is changing when it comes to gender. Long gone is the stereotypical image of a teenage boy holed up in a darkened bedroom as the number of women increases to almost half of all U.S. gamers.
According to the Entertainment Software Association's latest Essential Facts, almost half (48%) of U.S. gamers are female - the closest the genders have ever come to parity.
Only a few years ago - 2006 and 2007 - men made up the majority of gamers (62%).
Furthermore, women over the age of 18 make up more than a third (36%) of the gamer population - that's double the 17% of the market that is made up of boys under the age of 18.
So what does a gamer look like in 2014? According to the Entertainment Software Association's latest data:
- Gamers have an average age of 31;
- Gamers been playing games for an average of 14 years;
- 71% are age 18 or older;
- 62% play games with others, either in-person or online;
- 53% play games on their smartphones;
- 41% play on their wireless device;
- 59% of Americans play video games with an average of two gamers per household.
Image via Shutterstock
- Black Friday, Millennials, shopping, standing in line and... spiders
- Amazon strikes a pose with huge fashion photography studio in London
- How does $1-$3 per month sound for an ad-free Internet experience?
- Study: How mobiles are influencing moms
- Survey: SMBs drawing a line at Thanksgiving
- Is free enterprise search a game-changer?
- Expert: How mobile is changing customer relationships
- Prediction: Programmatic to push content marketing spend
Featured White Papers
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....