News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Nearly half of gamers are women
The image of gaming is changing when it comes to gender. Long gone is the stereotypical image of a teenage boy holed up in a darkened bedroom as the number of women increases to almost half of all U.S. gamers.
According to the Entertainment Software Association's latest Essential Facts, almost half (48%) of U.S. gamers are female - the closest the genders have ever come to parity.
Only a few years ago - 2006 and 2007 - men made up the majority of gamers (62%).
Furthermore, women over the age of 18 make up more than a third (36%) of the gamer population - that's double the 17% of the market that is made up of boys under the age of 18.
So what does a gamer look like in 2014? According to the Entertainment Software Association's latest data:
- Gamers have an average age of 31;
- Gamers been playing games for an average of 14 years;
- 71% are age 18 or older;
- 62% play games with others, either in-person or online;
- 53% play games on their smartphones;
- 41% play on their wireless device;
- 59% of Americans play video games with an average of two gamers per household.
Image via Shutterstock
- Ad Roundup: Launches to increase mobile, social capabilities
- Zendesk: Brand promoters talk less, detractors talk more
- Spending up but enthusiasm down for Halloween celebrations in the UK
- Study: Santa's Using SaaS
- Brits have financial concerns in the run up to Christmas
- Top 3 tips to create a solid cross-device strategy
- Ad Roundup: Mobile video and retargeting solutions
- Forecast: 27% of holiday buys could be 'lost' to abandoned carts
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...