News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Nearly half of gamers are women
The image of gaming is changing when it comes to gender. Long gone is the stereotypical image of a teenage boy holed up in a darkened bedroom as the number of women increases to almost half of all U.S. gamers.
According to the Entertainment Software Association's latest Essential Facts, almost half (48%) of U.S. gamers are female - the closest the genders have ever come to parity.
Only a few years ago - 2006 and 2007 - men made up the majority of gamers (62%).
Furthermore, women over the age of 18 make up more than a third (36%) of the gamer population - that's double the 17% of the market that is made up of boys under the age of 18.
So what does a gamer look like in 2014? According to the Entertainment Software Association's latest data:
- Gamers have an average age of 31;
- Gamers been playing games for an average of 14 years;
- 71% are age 18 or older;
- 62% play games with others, either in-person or online;
- 53% play games on their smartphones;
- 41% play on their wireless device;
- 59% of Americans play video games with an average of two gamers per household.
Image via Shutterstock
- Unique products, better prices motivates cross-border ecommerce
- Gen Z keen to engage with mobile video
- Expert: How to determine if a subscription service is good business
- Ad Roundup: Targeting key for video, digital products
- Top 3 tips to create speech analytics strategy
- Snapchat rumored to be rolling out behavioral targeting for advertisers
- Working 9-5 becoming a thing of the past?
- Accordant Media: 151% increase in global programmatic auction volume
Featured White Papers
- 10 Ways to Improve Your Content Marketing Today
Great content shows that you understand the customer and their problems and that you want and are able to help...
- How to Deliver Content Your Employees Will Love to Share
Your employees are your greatest asset. It makes perfect sense that companies would double down on their own talent, empowering...
- Key Tools for Engagement Marketing
Dig into the concept of digital marketing and how to be successful in today's modern, complex business landscape...