News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile PPC ad fraud loophole exposed by agency
After watching their clients' analytics 'like a hawk', an investigation by Las Vegas Internet marketing agency Platinum Web Marketing led them to immediately cease all its mobile pay-per-click ad management campaigns. But why?
When the head of Platinum Web Marketing, Andy Carlitto, and his team noticed "a disproportionately large number of PPC charges coming from mobile devices", they embarked on an investigation that would highlight potential loopholes in the anti-fraud measures used by companies such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads and Yahoo Search Marketing.
By taking to the streets of Las Vegas and Manhattan, Platinum Marketing employees were able to show that the same mobile PPC ad could be accessed repeatedly - and incur a charge to advertisers each time - just by changing their location by as little as a block down the road. That's because, in each location, the mobile devices being used were automatically acquiring a new IP address.
IP address blocking is what most PPC ad services implement to guard against multiple clicks from the same user but, as Platinum Marketing's experiment has shown, this is ineffective for mobile users.
"The monetary cost of those duplicate clicks can add up quickly," says Carlitto, whose agency and its clients spend around $400,000 a year in ad clicks to Google, Yahoo, and Bing. "This latest discovery has already fundamentally altered our approach to pay-per-click advertising. And I think it's going to be a real wake up call to PPC advertisers everywhere."
Image via Shutterstock
- Demandbase: What won't happen in 2015
- Ecommerce Roundup: Shoppers findings leads on social media
- Report: Analysis high on B2Bers New Year List
- Top 3 social trends to watch in 2015
- Why clicks will regain importance in 2015
- Security concerns cause 23% of consumers to shop less online
- Mobile and online key resource for last-minute Christmas shoppers
- Third of consumers never pay full price online
Featured White Papers
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- Targeting (That's on target)
"Hopeful messaging is wasted messaging. Clear targeting means more than just Who. It also demands a knowledge of How, When,...
- Leveraging Facebook to Improve ROI on Brand Sites
Rather than deserting your brand site for a Facebook Fan Page, the best digital marketing strategies incorporate a Facebook presence...