News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile PPC ad fraud loophole exposed by agency
After watching their clients' analytics 'like a hawk', an investigation by Las Vegas Internet marketing agency Platinum Web Marketing led them to immediately cease all its mobile pay-per-click ad management campaigns. But why?
When the head of Platinum Web Marketing, Andy Carlitto, and his team noticed "a disproportionately large number of PPC charges coming from mobile devices", they embarked on an investigation that would highlight potential loopholes in the anti-fraud measures used by companies such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads and Yahoo Search Marketing.
By taking to the streets of Las Vegas and Manhattan, Platinum Marketing employees were able to show that the same mobile PPC ad could be accessed repeatedly - and incur a charge to advertisers each time - just by changing their location by as little as a block down the road. That's because, in each location, the mobile devices being used were automatically acquiring a new IP address.
IP address blocking is what most PPC ad services implement to guard against multiple clicks from the same user but, as Platinum Marketing's experiment has shown, this is ineffective for mobile users.
"The monetary cost of those duplicate clicks can add up quickly," says Carlitto, whose agency and its clients spend around $400,000 a year in ad clicks to Google, Yahoo, and Bing. "This latest discovery has already fundamentally altered our approach to pay-per-click advertising. And I think it's going to be a real wake up call to PPC advertisers everywhere."
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...