News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile PPC ad fraud loophole exposed by agency
After watching their clients' analytics 'like a hawk', an investigation by Las Vegas Internet marketing agency Platinum Web Marketing led them to immediately cease all its mobile pay-per-click ad management campaigns. But why?
When the head of Platinum Web Marketing, Andy Carlitto, and his team noticed "a disproportionately large number of PPC charges coming from mobile devices", they embarked on an investigation that would highlight potential loopholes in the anti-fraud measures used by companies such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads and Yahoo Search Marketing.
By taking to the streets of Las Vegas and Manhattan, Platinum Marketing employees were able to show that the same mobile PPC ad could be accessed repeatedly - and incur a charge to advertisers each time - just by changing their location by as little as a block down the road. That's because, in each location, the mobile devices being used were automatically acquiring a new IP address.
IP address blocking is what most PPC ad services implement to guard against multiple clicks from the same user but, as Platinum Marketing's experiment has shown, this is ineffective for mobile users.
"The monetary cost of those duplicate clicks can add up quickly," says Carlitto, whose agency and its clients spend around $400,000 a year in ad clicks to Google, Yahoo, and Bing. "This latest discovery has already fundamentally altered our approach to pay-per-click advertising. And I think it's going to be a real wake up call to PPC advertisers everywhere."
Image via Shutterstock
- Video ad campaigns with subtitles outperform in brand awareness
- Two-thirds of ad execs Google prospective employees
- 61% of brand content on Snapchat is video
- Survey: Trust influences more consumers to share information
- Expert: Travel next up for programmatic direct
- Expert: How to reduce involuntary churn
- New service alerts marketers when competitors air new TV ads
- 170% rise in ad requests containing location data
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...