News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile PPC ad fraud loophole exposed by agency
After watching their clients' analytics 'like a hawk', an investigation by Las Vegas Internet marketing agency Platinum Web Marketing led them to immediately cease all its mobile pay-per-click ad management campaigns. But why?
When the head of Platinum Web Marketing, Andy Carlitto, and his team noticed "a disproportionately large number of PPC charges coming from mobile devices", they embarked on an investigation that would highlight potential loopholes in the anti-fraud measures used by companies such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads and Yahoo Search Marketing.
By taking to the streets of Las Vegas and Manhattan, Platinum Marketing employees were able to show that the same mobile PPC ad could be accessed repeatedly - and incur a charge to advertisers each time - just by changing their location by as little as a block down the road. That's because, in each location, the mobile devices being used were automatically acquiring a new IP address.
IP address blocking is what most PPC ad services implement to guard against multiple clicks from the same user but, as Platinum Marketing's experiment has shown, this is ineffective for mobile users.
"The monetary cost of those duplicate clicks can add up quickly," says Carlitto, whose agency and its clients spend around $400,000 a year in ad clicks to Google, Yahoo, and Bing. "This latest discovery has already fundamentally altered our approach to pay-per-click advertising. And I think it's going to be a real wake up call to PPC advertisers everywhere."
Image via Shutterstock
- Forge relationships with consumers with gamification marketing techniques
- 50% of teens bored of Facebook as the social network loses its 'cool' factor
- Studies ID social trends for the holiday season
- Experts: Use the Hunger Games strategy to avoid spam folders
- Studies predict strong holiday shopping season
- Unruly IDs the most shared videos of 2014
- Expert: Why marketers should watch augmented reality
- Top 6 tips to set retailers up for the 2014 holidays
Featured White Papers
- 2014 Top Insights for Marketing Executives
Winning consumers over today requires building new capabilities that make brands more agile and provides deeper, more intimate knowledge of...
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....