News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Marketers struggle to measure offline word-of-mouth marketing
New research finds that while marketers believe the difficulties of measuring word-of-mouth offline is a major obstacle to its implementation, nearly two-thirds believe the channel to be more effective than traditional marketing particularly when coupled with social media.
A new survey of 328 marketing executives from the Word of Mouth Marketing Association and the American Marketing Association found that nearly half of all respondents found difficulty measuring offline word-of-mouth marketing, viewing it as a 'major obstacle' with 39% saying it was a 'minor obstacle'.
These difficulties means that word-of-mouth is not a major budget item in most companies' marketing plans, coming well below other items such as customer service (54%), email marketing (40%), customer relationship management (39%) and digital advertising (36%).
Nevertheless, nearly two-thirds (64%) believe that word-of-mouth marketing and social media are 'more effective than traditional marketing'. In fact, the majority (70%) said their business would be upping their social media spend and 29% will be increasing spend on word-of-mouth.
Interestingly, the survey found that marketers associate social media with online (86%) and word-of-mouth with offline (62%).
According to the ensuing report, 'The State of Word of Mouth Marketing', "these findings suggest that, despite wide adoption or plans to adopt these tactics, there remains some confusion in terms of what constitutes social and word-of-mouth marketing".
- Brands: How to ensure rogue apps aren't damaging to you
- Top tips to drive purchases
- Brands: How to protect yourself in the app space
- 25% of smartphone owners have used mobile wallet technology at least once
- Forge relationships with consumers with gamification marketing techniques
- 50% of teens bored of Facebook as the social network loses its 'cool' factor
- Studies ID social trends for the holiday season
- Experts: Use the Hunger Games strategy to avoid spam folders
Featured White Papers
- 4 Simple Strategies to Find Time for Creative Work
As marketers, we know our best work is fueled by time to think, brainstorm and explore different directions. But in...
- 2014 Top Insights for Marketing Executives
Winning consumers over today requires building new capabilities that make brands more agile and provides deeper, more intimate knowledge of...
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....