News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Less than half of SMEs actively investing in marketing their website
New research from UK-based Browser Media reveals that owners of small- to medium-sized businesses are more familiar with social media marketing than with email marketing and, while websites are seen as critical to the success of a business, few are actively investing in them.
When UK-based Browser Media surveyed 188 small- and medium sized business owners and managers they found that almost all (91%) were "most familiar" with social media marketing.
However, slightly less (89%) were familiar with email marketing and SEO (79%).
At the other end of the scale, business owners and managers were less familiar with inbound marketing (35%), affiliate marketing (48%) and content marketing (52%).
Browser Media's survey, taken during The Business Show held at London's ExCel, also sought to find out whether small- to medium-sized companies believe their website is working hard enough for them and, if not, what they are doing about it.
While more than three-quarters (79%) of companies said their website was "critical or very important" to their business, just 43% were actively investing in marketing it or improving their web presence. Only 28% are happy with their company's ranking on Google.
While most companies (69%) undertake digital marketing in-house, 31% do have some level of agency support. However, it's the companies that outsource digital marketing to some extent or another that are more satisfied with their online presence and visibility.
"As someone once said, "You've got to be in it to win it" but the survey results show that many small business wrongly believe that they are 'in it' by simply creating their website," writes Ali Cort, PR Director at Browser Media, on the company blog.
"Digital marketing goes far beyond this and if they want people and search engines to take note, it's what they do with this website and their broader, online presence that counts."
- Webrooming parents heading to physical stores for back-to-school purchases
- 43% of all traffic to travel websites now comes from mobile
- Survey: Gamers don't want interruptions
- Reports: Back to school stressing parents
- How to measure engagement to reach a deeper customer relationship
- Survey: Amazon influencing back to school shoppers
- Hilton gives guests greater control with significant app upgrade
- Top 3 tips for better channel optimization
Featured White Papers
- What Sales Should REALLY Expect from Marketing Automation
In this Deep Dive we will explore what sales leaders should actually be demanding from marketing automation tools. In fact,...
- Learn the True Importance of Global Brand Management
Effective branding has always been an important part of business and is an especially important component of the customer experience,...
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...