News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Less than half of SMEs actively investing in marketing their website
New research from UK-based Browser Media reveals that owners of small- to medium-sized businesses are more familiar with social media marketing than with email marketing and, while websites are seen as critical to the success of a business, few are actively investing in them.
When UK-based Browser Media surveyed 188 small- and medium sized business owners and managers they found that almost all (91%) were "most familiar" with social media marketing.
However, slightly less (89%) were familiar with email marketing and SEO (79%).
At the other end of the scale, business owners and managers were less familiar with inbound marketing (35%), affiliate marketing (48%) and content marketing (52%).
Browser Media's survey, taken during The Business Show held at London's ExCel, also sought to find out whether small- to medium-sized companies believe their website is working hard enough for them and, if not, what they are doing about it.
While more than three-quarters (79%) of companies said their website was "critical or very important" to their business, just 43% were actively investing in marketing it or improving their web presence. Only 28% are happy with their company's ranking on Google.
While most companies (69%) undertake digital marketing in-house, 31% do have some level of agency support. However, it's the companies that outsource digital marketing to some extent or another that are more satisfied with their online presence and visibility.
"As someone once said, "You've got to be in it to win it" but the survey results show that many small business wrongly believe that they are 'in it' by simply creating their website," writes Ali Cort, PR Director at Browser Media, on the company blog.
"Digital marketing goes far beyond this and if they want people and search engines to take note, it's what they do with this website and their broader, online presence that counts."
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...