News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Keyword carelessness inhibiting UK travel brands' discoverability in App Store
Many of the UK's top travel brands could improve their discoverability in the Apple App Store if they fixed a few problems, including their spelling.
Earlier this year, a survey of Travel Technology Europe attendees revealed that the vast majority (83%) expect their customers to spend more on new technology in 2014 of which 72% of that increased spend will be directed at mobile technology.
According to Travel Technology Europe event manager Sarina Patel, "not only is the travel technology world gearing up for the year of mobile, it is planning the relevant investments to deliver what is expected to be a real step change".
However, if new research from Yodel Mobile is an indication of travel brands' approach to mobile marketing, it could do with some improvement.
A report in Mobile Entertainment describes how Yodel Mobile analyzed the UK's top travel brands' use of keywords against three criteria:
Capacity - the percentage of the 20 permitted keywords used;
Relevancy - the success with which travel brands connected relevant, travel-related keywords to an app; and
Typos - the number of keywords spelt incorrectly.
The analysis revealed that only 30% of the 20 keyword limit was being used and, incredibly, 2 of the travel brands had used no keywords at all. In addition, over half of the travel brands failed to use relevant and obvious keywords such as cruise, flights, cheap or holiday.
Attention to detail was also lacking. Nearly half of all the travel brands had carelessly used incorrectly spelt keywords such as Londoni for London or airwaves for airways.
With a little more thought and care put into keyword selection and presentation, travel brands would get a lot more from their mobile app investments with greater discoverability in an already crowded App Store.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
- Android ad blocking browser released by Adblock Plus
- How triggered emails can reduce shopping cart abandons
- How to better protect consumers' mobile privacy
- Expert: What Google buy buttons could mean for ecommerce
- Report highlights the 'mobile moments' of commuters
- Consumers keen to use new payment technology but businesses slow to adopt
- Ad Roundup: Integrations and new releases to offer more insights
Featured White Papers
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...