News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Keyword carelessness inhibiting UK travel brands' discoverability in App Store
Many of the UK's top travel brands could improve their discoverability in the Apple App Store if they fixed a few problems, including their spelling.
Earlier this year, a survey of Travel Technology Europe attendees revealed that the vast majority (83%) expect their customers to spend more on new technology in 2014 of which 72% of that increased spend will be directed at mobile technology.
According to Travel Technology Europe event manager Sarina Patel, "not only is the travel technology world gearing up for the year of mobile, it is planning the relevant investments to deliver what is expected to be a real step change".
However, if new research from Yodel Mobile is an indication of travel brands' approach to mobile marketing, it could do with some improvement.
A report in Mobile Entertainment describes how Yodel Mobile analyzed the UK's top travel brands' use of keywords against three criteria:
Capacity - the percentage of the 20 permitted keywords used;
Relevancy - the success with which travel brands connected relevant, travel-related keywords to an app; and
Typos - the number of keywords spelt incorrectly.
The analysis revealed that only 30% of the 20 keyword limit was being used and, incredibly, 2 of the travel brands had used no keywords at all. In addition, over half of the travel brands failed to use relevant and obvious keywords such as cruise, flights, cheap or holiday.
Attention to detail was also lacking. Nearly half of all the travel brands had carelessly used incorrectly spelt keywords such as Londoni for London or airwaves for airways.
With a little more thought and care put into keyword selection and presentation, travel brands would get a lot more from their mobile app investments with greater discoverability in an already crowded App Store.
Image via Shutterstock
- Reports: Brands are winning back to school
- Time spent gaming on mobile drops, eSports partly to blame
- Expert: How to turn data-rich into data-action
- Expert: 3 questions to ask before outsourcing
- Top retail brands' email marketing campaigns found wanting
- Retailers must consider tech expectations of in-store consumers
- Ad Roundup: Releases for social data, site understanding
- Best practices for a solid omnichannel strategy
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...