News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Internet ad revenues outstrip broadcast TV for the first time
Marketers are now spending more to advertise online than they are on broadcast television, according to new figures released by the Interactive Advertising Bureau.
In 2013, a record $42.8 billion in online advertising revenue was recorded - a 17% year on year increase. In comparison, revenue generated from advertising on broadcast television (national network, syndication and spot TV) was less - $40.1 billion in 2013.
However, total television revenues - broadcast plus cable - still dominate with $66 billion in 2013.
Meanwhile, revenue from mobile advertising more than doubled rising 110% from $3.4 billion in 2012 to $7.1 billion last year and accounting for 17% of 2013 revenues
David Silverman, partner at PriceWaterhouseCoopers who conducted the research for the IAB, observes that "we are fully in transition to the post-desktop era. Triple-digit advertising revenue growth from mobile devices contrasted the more tepid 8% growth from traditional computer screens".
Other key findings of the ad revenue report include:
- Search revenues for 2013 totaled $18.4 billion, up 9% year on year;
- Display advertising revenues in 2013 reached $12.8 billion, up 7% year on year;
- Retail advertisers comprise the largest Internet spending category driving 21% in 2013 followed by financial services (13%) and automotive (12%);
- Mobile achieved triple-digit growth for the third year in a row rising to $7.1 billion in 2013 - a 110% year on year rise.
According to Randall Rothenberg, IAB presidents and CEO, the fact that broadcast television had been outperformed by digital should not surprise anyone.
"It speaks to the power that digital screens have in reaching and engaging audiences," he said. "In that same vein, the staggering growth of mobile is clearly a direct response to how smaller digital screens play an integral role in consumers' lives throughout the day, as well as their critical importance to cross-screen experiences."
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...