News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
How to use organic social posts to reach non-fans
Facebook has some unique, compelling and highly effective tools for reaching your existing customers and prospecting new ones. But is it worth the effort to build up Facebook profiles?
Kristina: Should Facebook be looked at as an 'ad opportunity' or an 'audience building' opportunity?
Bob Buch, CEO, SocialWire: This depends on your marketing objective - if you want to build your brand and have a channel to engage with your customers as more of a PR or customer service exercise, then it could be worth the effort to build up your Facebook audience. However, for direct response advertisers looking to sell product, I would strongly advice against using that money to build an audience - I would spend it all on ads. Things like custom audiences where you can segment your own CRM file and target those users on Facebook enable the type of personalization that is typically only found in channels like email marketing. And since they are matching against the emails in your CRM file, there is no need to spend money buying fans - you can already reach your customers using custom audiences.
Kristina: What can brands do to better utilize their social media presence, whether on Facebook or another social network?
Bob: There are still a fair number of retailers still focused on using Facebook and Twitter to promote products organically, and then occasionally sponsor an organic post. Both platforms offer "promoted-only" posts, which don't show up to fans or followers, but only appear to those users that are being targeted by the ad campaign - whether they are fans or not. This means brands no longer need to worry about over-selling to their fan base - it lets them use Facebook and Twitter as true marketing channels and use the same tactics they would use on the open web, but in a much more native format.
Image via Shutterstock
- Forecast: Local media revs to push $140b
- Consumers more likely to be loyal to brands with a physical presence
- Study dispels myth that 15-24 year olds are the true 'digital natives'
- Top 3 tips to better optimize branded content
- Programmatic spending skyrockets through Nexage Markeplace
- FTC's new 'merchandise rule' to come into effect before Christmas
- Brands: Why content needs better optimization
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships and acquisitions to improve platforms
Featured White Papers
- Evolving Toward the Next Phase of Email
According to most corporate decision makers and influencers, email is the single most important application they have deployed! The typical...
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...