News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook dominates social media use in Middle East
Facebook is the dominant social network in the Middle East and North Africa region, used by almost twice as many Internet users as Twitter, its nearest rival.
Research by Northwestern University in Qatar and the Doha Film Institute found that Facebook is by far and away the most popular social network in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region.
More than 90% of Internet users are on Facebook in five of the six countries involved in the study - Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Lebanon, Egypt, Tunisia and the United Arab Emirates. Only in Qatar is Facebook used by fewer than three-quarters of Internet users (70%).
In the MENA region as a whole, Facebook is way ahead of nearest rival Twitter followed by Google+ and Instagram.
"Understanding cultural attitudes around entertainment is as important to industry leaders and policymakers as viewership and other audience figures," said Everette E. Dennis, dean and CEO of Northwestern University in Qatar. "This research provides a base of knowledge for executives across all sectors, including entertainment, sport, and children's programming."
Image via Shutterstock
- High viewability goals damaging ad campaign performance
- Two countries, two different spending trends for Valentine's Day
- Ad Roundup: Platforms to improve data, prevent fraud
- Survey: SMBs getting out the vote
- Research reveals number of mobile loyalty schemes to double by 2020
- Laptops more popular than mobile for travel research
- Super Bowl: 82% of searches driven by TV ads made on mobile
- Super Bowl winners and losers
Featured White Papers
- The Ultimate Guide to Website Personalization
There is a wealth of methods to put your company's data to work; by far, personalization is one of the...