News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook dominates social media use in Middle East
Facebook is the dominant social network in the Middle East and North Africa region, used by almost twice as many Internet users as Twitter, its nearest rival.
Research by Northwestern University in Qatar and the Doha Film Institute found that Facebook is by far and away the most popular social network in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region.
More than 90% of Internet users are on Facebook in five of the six countries involved in the study - Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Lebanon, Egypt, Tunisia and the United Arab Emirates. Only in Qatar is Facebook used by fewer than three-quarters of Internet users (70%).
In the MENA region as a whole, Facebook is way ahead of nearest rival Twitter followed by Google+ and Instagram.
"Understanding cultural attitudes around entertainment is as important to industry leaders and policymakers as viewership and other audience figures," said Everette E. Dennis, dean and CEO of Northwestern University in Qatar. "This research provides a base of knowledge for executives across all sectors, including entertainment, sport, and children's programming."
Image via Shutterstock
- Report: Autofill features on social media improve conversions
- Brands: Why You Need Millennials
- Mobile Roundup: More shoppers choosing mobile
- Survey: For routine accounting, SMBs trust in-house
- Mobile-friendly email strategies paying off for marketers
- The growing impact of online performance on sales and customer experience
- Dedicated email marketing teams significantly affect ROI
- How to predict shopper behavior outside surveys
Featured White Papers