News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Eye-tracking study reveals negative brand opinion generated by animated ads
An eye-tracking study conducted by Sticky for Adblock Plus has shown that flashy, animated advertising units result in lower ad recall and decreased brand opinion compared to static ads.
Advertisers using animated online ads that scream out for attention may not be so flashy after all. In fact, the very fact an ad is animated could be doing a brand more harm than good.
Research conducted among 1,200 participants in America and Europe found a significant difference in the perception and attention given to all-singing and all-dancing creative treatments compared with those that are "clean and static".
The eye-tracking results clearly demonstrated that static ads outperform "flashy and animated" ads. Not only were flashy animated ads 200% more likely to be classed as "dated", but static ads were 300% more likely to be rated as "easy to understand".
Furthermore, the likelihood of a viewer being "very likely" or "somewhat likely" to click on an animated ad was lower than for static - 26% versus 31%.
More surprising still, says Adblock Plus in a recent blog post, is "that brand opinion suffers if ads are presented in a flashy, intrusive format: respondents said that they were twice as likely to click on a static ad compared to a flashy one, and they were 76% more likely to perceive a flashy ad negatively than a static one."
Image via Shutterstock
- The effect of clutter on ad gaze time and viewability
- Women in UK leading the way in mobile shopping
- Today's consumers want more from loyalty programs
- Expert: MCommerce nearing tipping point
- Merchants: How to make wishlists work for you
- Top 3 tips to better source loyalty data
- 57% of consumers do not trust a business with their data
- 39% turn blind eye to branded social media posts
Featured White Papers
- The Keys to a 'Stop 'em & Grab 'em' Landing Page
Follow these keys when developing your landing page, and in no time you will have all of the traffic and...