News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Eye-tracking study reveals negative brand opinion generated by animated ads
An eye-tracking study conducted by Sticky for Adblock Plus has shown that flashy, animated advertising units result in lower ad recall and decreased brand opinion compared to static ads.
Advertisers using animated online ads that scream out for attention may not be so flashy after all. In fact, the very fact an ad is animated could be doing a brand more harm than good.
Research conducted among 1,200 participants in America and Europe found a significant difference in the perception and attention given to all-singing and all-dancing creative treatments compared with those that are "clean and static".
The eye-tracking results clearly demonstrated that static ads outperform "flashy and animated" ads. Not only were flashy animated ads 200% more likely to be classed as "dated", but static ads were 300% more likely to be rated as "easy to understand".
Furthermore, the likelihood of a viewer being "very likely" or "somewhat likely" to click on an animated ad was lower than for static - 26% versus 31%.
More surprising still, says Adblock Plus in a recent blog post, is "that brand opinion suffers if ads are presented in a flashy, intrusive format: respondents said that they were twice as likely to click on a static ad compared to a flashy one, and they were 76% more likely to perceive a flashy ad negatively than a static one."
Image via Shutterstock
- Survey: Gamers don't want interruptions
- Reports: Back to school stressing parents
- How to measure engagement to reach a deeper customer relationship
- Survey: Amazon influencing back to school shoppers
- Hilton gives guests greater control with significant app upgrade
- Top 3 tips for better channel optimization
- Study: Sales, marketing disconnect resulting in bad customer experience
- UK businesses failing to consistently and effectively employ social for customer support
Featured White Papers
- What Sales Should REALLY Expect from Marketing Automation
In this Deep Dive we will explore what sales leaders should actually be demanding from marketing automation tools. In fact,...
- Learn the True Importance of Global Brand Management
Effective branding has always been an important part of business and is an especially important component of the customer experience,...
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...