News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Eye-tracking study reveals negative brand opinion generated by animated ads
An eye-tracking study conducted by Sticky for Adblock Plus has shown that flashy, animated advertising units result in lower ad recall and decreased brand opinion compared to static ads.
Advertisers using animated online ads that scream out for attention may not be so flashy after all. In fact, the very fact an ad is animated could be doing a brand more harm than good.
Research conducted among 1,200 participants in America and Europe found a significant difference in the perception and attention given to all-singing and all-dancing creative treatments compared with those that are "clean and static".
The eye-tracking results clearly demonstrated that static ads outperform "flashy and animated" ads. Not only were flashy animated ads 200% more likely to be classed as "dated", but static ads were 300% more likely to be rated as "easy to understand".
Furthermore, the likelihood of a viewer being "very likely" or "somewhat likely" to click on an animated ad was lower than for static - 26% versus 31%.
More surprising still, says Adblock Plus in a recent blog post, is "that brand opinion suffers if ads are presented in a flashy, intrusive format: respondents said that they were twice as likely to click on a static ad compared to a flashy one, and they were 76% more likely to perceive a flashy ad negatively than a static one."
Image via Shutterstock
- Brands: How to better use reviews for your business
- How to keep customers loyal through the holidays
- 50% of Millennials will do most of their holiday shopping on Black Friday, Cyber Monday
- Consumers expect shopping experience to be revolutionized by wearable tech
- Highest online parcel volume recorded in October 2015
- How to convince wary app users to share location data
- How to protect against fake reviews
- 3 IT trends to watch in 2016
Featured White Papers
- Statistics for Online Experiments: How to Think and Act Like a Statistician
Statistics are the underpinning of how Optimizely's customers use data to make decisions. To run great experiments, investing in an...
- Lean Content Marketing
Content is king. If you're a modern marketer, you know why--it is the fuel for your lead generation and nurturing...