News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Eye-tracking study reveals negative brand opinion generated by animated ads
An eye-tracking study conducted by Sticky for Adblock Plus has shown that flashy, animated advertising units result in lower ad recall and decreased brand opinion compared to static ads.
Advertisers using animated online ads that scream out for attention may not be so flashy after all. In fact, the very fact an ad is animated could be doing a brand more harm than good.
Research conducted among 1,200 participants in America and Europe found a significant difference in the perception and attention given to all-singing and all-dancing creative treatments compared with those that are "clean and static".
The eye-tracking results clearly demonstrated that static ads outperform "flashy and animated" ads. Not only were flashy animated ads 200% more likely to be classed as "dated", but static ads were 300% more likely to be rated as "easy to understand".
Furthermore, the likelihood of a viewer being "very likely" or "somewhat likely" to click on an animated ad was lower than for static - 26% versus 31%.
More surprising still, says Adblock Plus in a recent blog post, is "that brand opinion suffers if ads are presented in a flashy, intrusive format: respondents said that they were twice as likely to click on a static ad compared to a flashy one, and they were 76% more likely to perceive a flashy ad negatively than a static one."
Image via Shutterstock
- Driving website traffic revealed as retailers' biggest challenge
- Revenues from tablet games to triple in next five years
- Marketers must react to changing consumer behavior caused by technology
- Facebook launches Event ads to appear in Newsfeeds
- UK: Online Christmas shopping to exceed £13 billion
- Top 3 retail tips to personalize across channels
- Expert Advice: Use in-store techniques to sell online
- Twitter helps agency campaigns take off with Flight School
Featured White Papers
- Expert Panel: Brand Strategists Answer Top 5 Social Questions
During SXSW Interactive, we gathered a team of five leading brand strategists to answer the five most pressing social questions...
- The Truth About Cloud Security
"Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?...
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...