News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Eye-tracking study reveals negative brand opinion generated by animated ads
An eye-tracking study conducted by Sticky for Adblock Plus has shown that flashy, animated advertising units result in lower ad recall and decreased brand opinion compared to static ads.
Advertisers using animated online ads that scream out for attention may not be so flashy after all. In fact, the very fact an ad is animated could be doing a brand more harm than good.
Research conducted among 1,200 participants in America and Europe found a significant difference in the perception and attention given to all-singing and all-dancing creative treatments compared with those that are "clean and static".
The eye-tracking results clearly demonstrated that static ads outperform "flashy and animated" ads. Not only were flashy animated ads 200% more likely to be classed as "dated", but static ads were 300% more likely to be rated as "easy to understand".
Furthermore, the likelihood of a viewer being "very likely" or "somewhat likely" to click on an animated ad was lower than for static - 26% versus 31%.
More surprising still, says Adblock Plus in a recent blog post, is "that brand opinion suffers if ads are presented in a flashy, intrusive format: respondents said that they were twice as likely to click on a static ad compared to a flashy one, and they were 76% more likely to perceive a flashy ad negatively than a static one."
Image via Shutterstock
- FTC's new 'merchandise rule' to come into effect before Christmas
- Brands: Why content needs better optimization
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships and acquisitions to improve platforms
- Consumers prefer SMS to apps for brand communications
- Physical stores still popular with young fashion shoppers
- Britain has more female gamers than male
- Permission-based email marketers still finding inbox placement hard work
- Study: Mobile driving travel plans
Featured White Papers
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...