News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Email continues to be ranked top for return on investment
It's hard to recall just how many years the death of email has been rumored, but still the speculation rumbles on despite data, such as that from Econsultancy, that shows email is doing just fine, thank you very much.
"It's still here, it works, and we can prove it" writes Graham Charlton, Econsultancy's editor-in-chief, following the release of the firm's latest Email Marketing Industry Census 2014, sponsored by Adestra.
It found that, in terms of ROI, email was ranked by 68% of companies as the channel that outperformed all others with 22% ranking it 'excellent' and 46% ranking it 'good'. Online display advertising came bottom of the pile with just 5% ranking it 'excellent' and 28% 'good'.
Furthermore, email marketing is reaping rewards with, on average, 23% of total sales being attributed to email marketing, up from 18% in 2013.
However, according to Steve Denner, director at Adestra, marketers should not be complacent and expect continued growth. Instead, ROI can be boosted by paying attention to consumer behavior and expectations and including features such as personalization, automation and, perhaps most importantly, mobile-optimization.
"The danger for buyers of marketing technology is that they increase spend on email assuming continued growth in return," says Denner. "The danger for vendors is that they attempt to capture a greater proportion of the budgets available without providing real return."
Image via Shutterstock
- Black Friday, Millennials, shopping, standing in line and... spiders
- Amazon strikes a pose with huge fashion photography studio in London
- How does $1-$3 per month sound for an ad-free Internet experience?
- Study: How mobiles are influencing moms
- Survey: SMBs drawing a line at Thanksgiving
- Is free enterprise search a game-changer?
- Expert: How mobile is changing customer relationships
- Prediction: Programmatic to push content marketing spend
Featured White Papers
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....