News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Email continues to be ranked top for return on investment
It's hard to recall just how many years the death of email has been rumored, but still the speculation rumbles on despite data, such as that from Econsultancy, that shows email is doing just fine, thank you very much.
"It's still here, it works, and we can prove it" writes Graham Charlton, Econsultancy's editor-in-chief, following the release of the firm's latest Email Marketing Industry Census 2014, sponsored by Adestra.
It found that, in terms of ROI, email was ranked by 68% of companies as the channel that outperformed all others with 22% ranking it 'excellent' and 46% ranking it 'good'. Online display advertising came bottom of the pile with just 5% ranking it 'excellent' and 28% 'good'.
Furthermore, email marketing is reaping rewards with, on average, 23% of total sales being attributed to email marketing, up from 18% in 2013.
However, according to Steve Denner, director at Adestra, marketers should not be complacent and expect continued growth. Instead, ROI can be boosted by paying attention to consumer behavior and expectations and including features such as personalization, automation and, perhaps most importantly, mobile-optimization.
"The danger for buyers of marketing technology is that they increase spend on email assuming continued growth in return," says Denner. "The danger for vendors is that they attempt to capture a greater proportion of the budgets available without providing real return."
Image via Shutterstock
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
- Adobe: More online TV watched on smartphones than tablets
- Ad Roundup: Launches to increase mobile, social capabilities
- Zendesk: Brand promoters talk less, detractors talk more
- Spending up but enthusiasm down for Halloween celebrations in the UK
- Study: Santa's Using SaaS
- Brits have financial concerns in the run up to Christmas
- Top 3 tips to create a solid cross-device strategy
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...