News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Email continues to be ranked top for return on investment
It's hard to recall just how many years the death of email has been rumored, but still the speculation rumbles on despite data, such as that from Econsultancy, that shows email is doing just fine, thank you very much.
"It's still here, it works, and we can prove it" writes Graham Charlton, Econsultancy's editor-in-chief, following the release of the firm's latest Email Marketing Industry Census 2014, sponsored by Adestra.
It found that, in terms of ROI, email was ranked by 68% of companies as the channel that outperformed all others with 22% ranking it 'excellent' and 46% ranking it 'good'. Online display advertising came bottom of the pile with just 5% ranking it 'excellent' and 28% 'good'.
Furthermore, email marketing is reaping rewards with, on average, 23% of total sales being attributed to email marketing, up from 18% in 2013.
However, according to Steve Denner, director at Adestra, marketers should not be complacent and expect continued growth. Instead, ROI can be boosted by paying attention to consumer behavior and expectations and including features such as personalization, automation and, perhaps most importantly, mobile-optimization.
"The danger for buyers of marketing technology is that they increase spend on email assuming continued growth in return," says Denner. "The danger for vendors is that they attempt to capture a greater proportion of the budgets available without providing real return."
Image via Shutterstock
- Driving website traffic revealed as retailers' biggest challenge
- Revenues from tablet games to triple in next five years
- Marketers must react to changing consumer behavior caused by technology
- Facebook launches Event ads to appear in Newsfeeds
- UK: Online Christmas shopping to exceed £13 billion
- Top 3 retail tips to personalize across channels
- Expert Advice: Use in-store techniques to sell online
- Twitter helps agency campaigns take off with Flight School
Featured White Papers
- The Truth About Cloud Security
"Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?...
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...
- How to Maximize, Manage, and Measure Organic Search
Organic search delivers high-quality traffic and revenue with a high contribution margin. But organic search is hard, and it's getting...