News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Email continues to be ranked top for return on investment
It's hard to recall just how many years the death of email has been rumored, but still the speculation rumbles on despite data, such as that from Econsultancy, that shows email is doing just fine, thank you very much.
"It's still here, it works, and we can prove it" writes Graham Charlton, Econsultancy's editor-in-chief, following the release of the firm's latest Email Marketing Industry Census 2014, sponsored by Adestra.
It found that, in terms of ROI, email was ranked by 68% of companies as the channel that outperformed all others with 22% ranking it 'excellent' and 46% ranking it 'good'. Online display advertising came bottom of the pile with just 5% ranking it 'excellent' and 28% 'good'.
Furthermore, email marketing is reaping rewards with, on average, 23% of total sales being attributed to email marketing, up from 18% in 2013.
However, according to Steve Denner, director at Adestra, marketers should not be complacent and expect continued growth. Instead, ROI can be boosted by paying attention to consumer behavior and expectations and including features such as personalization, automation and, perhaps most importantly, mobile-optimization.
"The danger for buyers of marketing technology is that they increase spend on email assuming continued growth in return," says Denner. "The danger for vendors is that they attempt to capture a greater proportion of the budgets available without providing real return."
Image via Shutterstock
- SMBs: How to remain visible during the election push
- Brands: How to prepare for a non-Flash environment
- BrightEdge: Brands are missing consumer engagement with content
- Experts weigh in on the death of Flash
- Study finds payment issues top affiliates' complaint list
- Study: Indian mobile use skyrocketing
- How travel brands can stop fraud
- Cart abandonment rates lower for charities than other sectors
Featured White Papers
- The Step-By-Step Guide to Building Your Custom Attribution Model
Solving the attribution problem will be one of the most important things you do to boost ROI for your organization....
- What drives Email Open Rates
eDataSource compares certain quarterly email engagement metrics across five somewhat similar retailers, based on our visibility into the email activity...