News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Effective customer acquisition relies on trust, transparency
Companies that respect their customer's privacy and foster trust and transparency will be the most successful, according to new research from the Direct Marketing Association and customer acquisition services provider McDowall.
In its inaugural Customer Acquisition Barometer 2014, the Direct Marketing Association (UK) reveals that only one in two consumers in the UK have willingly shared their personal information with a company over the last 12 months. That's despite marketers spending more than half (59%) of their budgets on customer acquisition campaigns compared with 20% on retention activity.
One of the main barriers to consumers giving up personal information within the acquisition stage is concern as to who will eventually get hold of the data - either by a company sharing details with third parties or the company itself being hacked.
Control of their data matters to consumers with eight out of 10 saying they would be more likely to provide businesses with their information if they were guaranteed it would not be used by anyone else.
"Effective customer acquisition relies on trust and transparency which is undermined by some companies, organizations and institutions misusing, abusing and exploiting people's information against their expectations and wishes," says Chris Combemale, executive director of the DMA. "The most successful companies are respecting their customer's attitudes to privacy and making trust a critical brand differentiator."
Image via Shutterstock
- Colors affect sharing behavior on Pinterest
- Survey highlights importance of returns process to consumer loyalty
- 45% of marketers to invest in events during 2015
- Barclays Bank launches Twitter payments
- Advertising for young children looks promising on a new YouTube app for kids
- Twitter responses to customer queries slow and sloppy
- App channel worth over £4 billion to UK brands
- Facebook: 2 million advertisers milestone and new mobile ad manager
Featured White Papers
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- How to Promote and Measure Hashtag Campaigns
A single hashtag can connect your brand messaging across each of the major social networks. Learn how hashtags can be...