News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Effective customer acquisition relies on trust, transparency
Companies that respect their customer's privacy and foster trust and transparency will be the most successful, according to new research from the Direct Marketing Association and customer acquisition services provider McDowall.
In its inaugural Customer Acquisition Barometer 2014, the Direct Marketing Association (UK) reveals that only one in two consumers in the UK have willingly shared their personal information with a company over the last 12 months. That's despite marketers spending more than half (59%) of their budgets on customer acquisition campaigns compared with 20% on retention activity.
One of the main barriers to consumers giving up personal information within the acquisition stage is concern as to who will eventually get hold of the data - either by a company sharing details with third parties or the company itself being hacked.
Control of their data matters to consumers with eight out of 10 saying they would be more likely to provide businesses with their information if they were guaranteed it would not be used by anyone else.
"Effective customer acquisition relies on trust and transparency which is undermined by some companies, organizations and institutions misusing, abusing and exploiting people's information against their expectations and wishes," says Chris Combemale, executive director of the DMA. "The most successful companies are respecting their customer's attitudes to privacy and making trust a critical brand differentiator."
Image via Shutterstock
- Black Friday, Millennials, shopping, standing in line and... spiders
- Amazon strikes a pose with huge fashion photography studio in London
- How does $1-$3 per month sound for an ad-free Internet experience?
- Study: How mobiles are influencing moms
- Survey: SMBs drawing a line at Thanksgiving
- Is free enterprise search a game-changer?
- Expert: How mobile is changing customer relationships
- Prediction: Programmatic to push content marketing spend
Featured White Papers
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....