News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Effective customer acquisition relies on trust, transparency
Companies that respect their customer's privacy and foster trust and transparency will be the most successful, according to new research from the Direct Marketing Association and customer acquisition services provider McDowall.
In its inaugural Customer Acquisition Barometer 2014, the Direct Marketing Association (UK) reveals that only one in two consumers in the UK have willingly shared their personal information with a company over the last 12 months. That's despite marketers spending more than half (59%) of their budgets on customer acquisition campaigns compared with 20% on retention activity.
One of the main barriers to consumers giving up personal information within the acquisition stage is concern as to who will eventually get hold of the data - either by a company sharing details with third parties or the company itself being hacked.
Control of their data matters to consumers with eight out of 10 saying they would be more likely to provide businesses with their information if they were guaranteed it would not be used by anyone else.
"Effective customer acquisition relies on trust and transparency which is undermined by some companies, organizations and institutions misusing, abusing and exploiting people's information against their expectations and wishes," says Chris Combemale, executive director of the DMA. "The most successful companies are respecting their customer's attitudes to privacy and making trust a critical brand differentiator."
Image via Shutterstock
- Reports: Strong start to holiday season
- Expert: What will drive mobile in 2016
- More than half of consumers would pay for better customer care from preferred brands
- UK mobile email open rates at highest ever but conversions in decline
- More than three-quarters of all Black Friday mobile orders made on an Apple device
- Brands: How to better use reviews for your business
- How to keep customers loyal through the holidays
- 50% of Millennials will do most of their holiday shopping on Black Friday, Cyber Monday
Featured White Papers
- Statistics for Online Experiments: How to Think and Act Like a Statistician
Statistics are the underpinning of how Optimizely's customers use data to make decisions. To run great experiments, investing in an...
- Lean Content Marketing
Content is king. If you're a modern marketer, you know why--it is the fuel for your lead generation and nurturing...