News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Effective customer acquisition relies on trust, transparency
Companies that respect their customer's privacy and foster trust and transparency will be the most successful, according to new research from the Direct Marketing Association and customer acquisition services provider McDowall.
In its inaugural Customer Acquisition Barometer 2014, the Direct Marketing Association (UK) reveals that only one in two consumers in the UK have willingly shared their personal information with a company over the last 12 months. That's despite marketers spending more than half (59%) of their budgets on customer acquisition campaigns compared with 20% on retention activity.
One of the main barriers to consumers giving up personal information within the acquisition stage is concern as to who will eventually get hold of the data - either by a company sharing details with third parties or the company itself being hacked.
Control of their data matters to consumers with eight out of 10 saying they would be more likely to provide businesses with their information if they were guaranteed it would not be used by anyone else.
"Effective customer acquisition relies on trust and transparency which is undermined by some companies, organizations and institutions misusing, abusing and exploiting people's information against their expectations and wishes," says Chris Combemale, executive director of the DMA. "The most successful companies are respecting their customer's attitudes to privacy and making trust a critical brand differentiator."
Image via Shutterstock
- The differences between American, European ads and why they matter
- Study: Online video pushing hungry people to burger chains
- Google's HTTPS ranking signal has little to no effect
- 'Huge landmark' as ecommerce mobile traffic overtakes desktop
- Happy birthday, email! Now, what can you do for me?
- Poll: Phone fraud tops $8 billion mark in America
- Webtrends: Top 3 tips to improve online bookings
- Driving website traffic revealed as retailers' biggest challenge
Featured White Papers
- Expert Panel: Brand Strategists Answer Top 5 Social Questions
During SXSW Interactive, we gathered a team of five leading brand strategists to answer the five most pressing social questions...
- The Truth About Cloud Security
"Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?...
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...