News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Effective customer acquisition relies on trust, transparency
Companies that respect their customer's privacy and foster trust and transparency will be the most successful, according to new research from the Direct Marketing Association and customer acquisition services provider McDowall.
In its inaugural Customer Acquisition Barometer 2014, the Direct Marketing Association (UK) reveals that only one in two consumers in the UK have willingly shared their personal information with a company over the last 12 months. That's despite marketers spending more than half (59%) of their budgets on customer acquisition campaigns compared with 20% on retention activity.
One of the main barriers to consumers giving up personal information within the acquisition stage is concern as to who will eventually get hold of the data - either by a company sharing details with third parties or the company itself being hacked.
Control of their data matters to consumers with eight out of 10 saying they would be more likely to provide businesses with their information if they were guaranteed it would not be used by anyone else.
"Effective customer acquisition relies on trust and transparency which is undermined by some companies, organizations and institutions misusing, abusing and exploiting people's information against their expectations and wishes," says Chris Combemale, executive director of the DMA. "The most successful companies are respecting their customer's attitudes to privacy and making trust a critical brand differentiator."
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...