News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Consumers trust doctors and government with personal data more than they do advertisers
Consumers are increasingly concerned about how their data is stored and used but, according to new research from GfK, it is marketers and advertisers that are the least-trusted of all, less so than then government.
GfK's data privacy study, conducted this March, found that most consumers are very skeptical about how data they provide to various organizations is used. While almost half (49%) agreed that tailored ads were helpful, 64% said they don't trust how their personal data is "handled" by marketers and advertisers.
However, there is a significant difference in attitudes between age groups. While younger generations are less concerned that marketers and advertisers should change how they handle data (Gen X 50% / Gen Y 46% and Gen Z 47%), three-quarters of pre-Boomers (75%) and 60% of Boomers are more concerned.
In fact, out of all the classifications provided in the study, it was marketers and advertisers that were seen to be the worst handlers of personal data, trusted by just 25% of respondents. Even government authorities (42%) and online social networks (39%) fared better. The most-trusted category was hospitals, doctors and healthcare providers (72%) followed by online payment systems (71%), online retailers (68%) and banks (64%).
"Shared data is, in many ways, the engine of the online economy, especially in this era of Big Data," said GfK's CEO, Matthias Hartmann. "Keeping a close eye on consumers' feelings about data privacy provides essential intelligence for the marketplace - allowing quicker and smarter reactions to emerging concerns."
Image via Shutterstock
- Facebook launches Event ads to appear in Newsfeeds
- UK: Online Christmas shopping to exceed £13 billion
- Top 3 retail tips to personalize across channels
- Expert Advice: Use in-store techniques to sell online
- Twitter helps agency campaigns take off with Flight School
- Top 3 tips to improve employee productivity
- Retailers: Why you need live online assistance for the 2014 holidays
- Top 3 tips to create better transactional email messages
Featured White Papers
- The Truth About Cloud Security
"Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?...
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...
- How to Maximize, Manage, and Measure Organic Search
Organic search delivers high-quality traffic and revenue with a high contribution margin. But organic search is hard, and it's getting...