News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Consumers trust doctors and government with personal data more than they do advertisers
Consumers are increasingly concerned about how their data is stored and used but, according to new research from GfK, it is marketers and advertisers that are the least-trusted of all, less so than then government.
GfK's data privacy study, conducted this March, found that most consumers are very skeptical about how data they provide to various organizations is used. While almost half (49%) agreed that tailored ads were helpful, 64% said they don't trust how their personal data is "handled" by marketers and advertisers.
However, there is a significant difference in attitudes between age groups. While younger generations are less concerned that marketers and advertisers should change how they handle data (Gen X 50% / Gen Y 46% and Gen Z 47%), three-quarters of pre-Boomers (75%) and 60% of Boomers are more concerned.
In fact, out of all the classifications provided in the study, it was marketers and advertisers that were seen to be the worst handlers of personal data, trusted by just 25% of respondents. Even government authorities (42%) and online social networks (39%) fared better. The most-trusted category was hospitals, doctors and healthcare providers (72%) followed by online payment systems (71%), online retailers (68%) and banks (64%).
"Shared data is, in many ways, the engine of the online economy, especially in this era of Big Data," said GfK's CEO, Matthias Hartmann. "Keeping a close eye on consumers' feelings about data privacy provides essential intelligence for the marketplace - allowing quicker and smarter reactions to emerging concerns."
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 tips to harness dark social data
- Report: M:Commerce share up one-third
- Consumer engagement with mobile ads on the rise
- Android dominates smartphone market
- How to tell if social is right for your brand
- Ecomm Roundup: Faster checkouts and better personalization
- Top 3 tips to use data better this holiday season
- Microbusinesses dipping into personal savings
Featured White Papers
- What Sales Should REALLY Expect from Marketing Automation
In this Deep Dive we will explore what sales leaders should actually be demanding from marketing automation tools. In fact,...
- Learn the True Importance of Global Brand Management
Effective branding has always been an important part of business and is an especially important component of the customer experience,...
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...