News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Consumers trust doctors and government with personal data more than they do advertisers
Consumers are increasingly concerned about how their data is stored and used but, according to new research from GfK, it is marketers and advertisers that are the least-trusted of all, less so than then government.
GfK's data privacy study, conducted this March, found that most consumers are very skeptical about how data they provide to various organizations is used. While almost half (49%) agreed that tailored ads were helpful, 64% said they don't trust how their personal data is "handled" by marketers and advertisers.
However, there is a significant difference in attitudes between age groups. While younger generations are less concerned that marketers and advertisers should change how they handle data (Gen X 50% / Gen Y 46% and Gen Z 47%), three-quarters of pre-Boomers (75%) and 60% of Boomers are more concerned.
In fact, out of all the classifications provided in the study, it was marketers and advertisers that were seen to be the worst handlers of personal data, trusted by just 25% of respondents. Even government authorities (42%) and online social networks (39%) fared better. The most-trusted category was hospitals, doctors and healthcare providers (72%) followed by online payment systems (71%), online retailers (68%) and banks (64%).
"Shared data is, in many ways, the engine of the online economy, especially in this era of Big Data," said GfK's CEO, Matthias Hartmann. "Keeping a close eye on consumers' feelings about data privacy provides essential intelligence for the marketplace - allowing quicker and smarter reactions to emerging concerns."
Image via Shutterstock
- Report: Over half of Millennials have or will use Bots
- Report: Finances key to engaging Boomers
- Top 3 tips to strengthen travel-based ad strategy
- Report IDs differences in how people use social
- Ad Roundup: Platform expansions and a partnership
- Survey: Hispanic SMBs show strong optimism
- Ad Roundup: Partnership, integration to bring brands more
- Report: Super Bowl ads drove traffic into stores
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...