News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Consumers trust doctors and government with personal data more than they do advertisers
Consumers are increasingly concerned about how their data is stored and used but, according to new research from GfK, it is marketers and advertisers that are the least-trusted of all, less so than then government.
GfK's data privacy study, conducted this March, found that most consumers are very skeptical about how data they provide to various organizations is used. While almost half (49%) agreed that tailored ads were helpful, 64% said they don't trust how their personal data is "handled" by marketers and advertisers.
However, there is a significant difference in attitudes between age groups. While younger generations are less concerned that marketers and advertisers should change how they handle data (Gen X 50% / Gen Y 46% and Gen Z 47%), three-quarters of pre-Boomers (75%) and 60% of Boomers are more concerned.
In fact, out of all the classifications provided in the study, it was marketers and advertisers that were seen to be the worst handlers of personal data, trusted by just 25% of respondents. Even government authorities (42%) and online social networks (39%) fared better. The most-trusted category was hospitals, doctors and healthcare providers (72%) followed by online payment systems (71%), online retailers (68%) and banks (64%).
"Shared data is, in many ways, the engine of the online economy, especially in this era of Big Data," said GfK's CEO, Matthias Hartmann. "Keeping a close eye on consumers' feelings about data privacy provides essential intelligence for the marketplace - allowing quicker and smarter reactions to emerging concerns."
Image via Shutterstock
- 'Commuter Commerce' worth £9.3 billion each year
- Research uncovers ways in which Millennials 'game' e-commerce
- Study finds that 'data for discounts' consumer behavior is a fallacy
- Ad Roundup: Solutions for ads, optimization, mobile work
- Top 3 don't's for telecom customer service
- Kahuna: Brands must engage for apps to work
- Research highlights effectiveness of in-app messaging
- Facebook tests 10-second video views and monetization
Featured White Papers
- The Big Impact of Big Data on Affiliate Marketing
If you are relying on affiliate networks you have no access to vital data to manage affiliate processes such as...
- 8th Annual Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report
Download the Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report for 2015 to find out about the latest trends, industry benchmarks and best...