News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Consumers trust doctors and government with personal data more than they do advertisers
Consumers are increasingly concerned about how their data is stored and used but, according to new research from GfK, it is marketers and advertisers that are the least-trusted of all, less so than then government.
GfK's data privacy study, conducted this March, found that most consumers are very skeptical about how data they provide to various organizations is used. While almost half (49%) agreed that tailored ads were helpful, 64% said they don't trust how their personal data is "handled" by marketers and advertisers.
However, there is a significant difference in attitudes between age groups. While younger generations are less concerned that marketers and advertisers should change how they handle data (Gen X 50% / Gen Y 46% and Gen Z 47%), three-quarters of pre-Boomers (75%) and 60% of Boomers are more concerned.
In fact, out of all the classifications provided in the study, it was marketers and advertisers that were seen to be the worst handlers of personal data, trusted by just 25% of respondents. Even government authorities (42%) and online social networks (39%) fared better. The most-trusted category was hospitals, doctors and healthcare providers (72%) followed by online payment systems (71%), online retailers (68%) and banks (64%).
"Shared data is, in many ways, the engine of the online economy, especially in this era of Big Data," said GfK's CEO, Matthias Hartmann. "Keeping a close eye on consumers' feelings about data privacy provides essential intelligence for the marketplace - allowing quicker and smarter reactions to emerging concerns."
Image via Shutterstock
- Ad Roundup: Platforms for sales, ecommerce
- Top 3 tips to get more from email on Valentine's campaigns
- Platform promises to connect marketers, consumers
- Mobile app shoppers generate more revenue than mobile website and desktop shoppers
- Mums turn to Facebook for recommendations and parenting communities
- Forecast: App economy to surpass $100b by 2020
- Report: Retail, tech lead for mobile video
- Report: Pressure is on for security pros
Featured White Papers
- Consumers Tell All, Part 1: Online Shopping Frequency
This report looks at how frequently online shoppers are making purchases....
- The Ultimate Guide to Website Personalization
There is a wealth of methods to put your company's data to work; by far, personalization is one of the...