News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
comScore report compares desktop use versus mobile for social
If you need to better understand the role that mobile plays in social media, take a look at comScore's recent mobile-desktop comparison chart and you'll soon see how it is.
comScore's recent report "U.S. Digital Future in Focus 2014" highlights the increasing role mobile is playing in social media. Overall, people are using social media on their mobile devices more now than ever before, and there are more 'mobile-native' networks such as Vine, Instagram and Snapchat.
In fact, among the major social networks, only LinkedIn (35.5% desktop / 11.3% mobile / 8.2% multi-platform) and Tumblr (19.4% desktop / 14.4% mobile / 9.9% multi-platform ) continue to have more desktop-only users than mobile-only or multi-platform users.
Similarly, it was only on LinkedIn and Tumblr that users spent the majority of their time on the desktop sites. While the desktop-mobile share of time for Facebook users in December 2013 was 32% vs. 68%, Twitter 14% vs. 86% and Pinterest 8% vs. 92%, users of both LinkedIn and Tumblr spent more than half of their time - 74% and 54% respectively - using the desktop sites.
Meanwhile, more camera-centric social media sites, such as Vine, Instagram and Snapchat, had almost no desktop users at all with Snapchat registering zero.
- Top tips to capitalize on social apps
- Mondays a favorite of fraudsters
- Reports show strong Q3, point to strong Q4
- Mobile Roundup: iOS users converting more, device adoption continues to grow
- Study: Moms looking to tech to track family health
- Study reveals global consumer attitudes to cross-border ecommerce
- Apple Pay, HCE to drive NFC-based contactless payments
- Study finds omnichannel strategy can drive more revenue
Featured White Papers
- Move Beyond Batch and Blast Emails
Like many marketers, you've included email in your marketing mix for years. But while email remains a vital channel, traditional...
- Social Media Pocket Guide
In just a few short years, the world of social media has changed immensely. We'll walk through each of the...